• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
Just binged , it was great . Anya Taylor-Joy is becoming a favorite actress of mine , she has such an expressive face,

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
We were browsing Netflix with friends and accidently ran across this. Sounded interesting and oh boy that first ep did not flow like we thought it would. It was interesting as hell and can't wait to progress though the series.

"you cocksucker!" O.o
5min later
"Hey, what's a cocksucker?" lol

loving the dialogue

Last edited:

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I started it at like 3am yesterday and binged the first four episodes. What an impressive, incredibly empowering miniseries from the beginning to the end. I was blown away.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Don't usually care for adaptations of books I've read, and this was already so movielike in its storytelling as a novel but wouldn't mind having a thing to watch if compelling enough. Is it worth checking out the show?

Can't speak for the TV show, but the novel is hella approachable even if you don't know about chess (ie me)

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Saw the first episode yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Wanted to keep going, but I was tired as hell. Looking forward to continue tonight!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I binged it yesterday without knowing anything about it prior.

I quite liked it. 7 episodes makes it perfect binge material as well. Would recommend

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watched episode one last night with my parents, and was blown away by the young actors.

Made me want to take up tranquilizers tbh.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
surprisingly easy watch. knocked this out over a couple nights and anya was great. the only weird part was when she was adopted we were supposed to think she was still 13-14 ? lol

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
surprisingly easy watch. knocked this out over a couple nights and anya was great. the only weird part was when she was adopted we were supposed to think she was still 13-14 ? lol

She was 15 when she was adopted. She lied about being 13. 15 is a stretch for ATJ, but 15 would have been an even larger stretch for the younger actress.

edit: Oh, I binged straight through the whole show this weekend.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this. The last episode got a bit much but it didn't really drag the whole down.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished. Quite a fun ride. Had no idea Anya Taylor-Joy had these kinda acting chops. She's on my radar now and I'll definitely be looking forward to anything she stars in in the future.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Just finished. Quite a fun ride. Had no idea Anya Taylor-Joy had these kinda acting chops. She's on my radar now and I'll definitely be looking forward to anything she stars in in the future.

Watch Thoroughbreds. There's a moment/scene where she does this facial change with her character after a piece of dialogue and basically becomes and entirely different person. She's very good, maybe even underrated.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Check out the version of Emma that came out this year (which I saw in NYC in February, right before 2020 went in the tank). YMMV depending on whether you like British period pieces, but she does a good job as the main character.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Done here as well, that was a great ride. The music was a great fit and the set design was on point. ATJ can sure wear the hell out of a lot of attire i tell you what. I do wish the matches had a bit more depth to them, as someone who's not too familiar I'd would have been good to learn a bit more. Off to watch a few chess videos on YT lol.

The moment with Benny where he's explaining the Paris game customs to her post coitus and she's got a real chuckle out of me. I mean she's all about chess so I didn't really expect that form her.
"are you serious?"
"yeah, very. they never lay their kings down, either."
"i meant 'Are you serious?' "
"this is what you're thinking about right now right now"

and speaking of Benny, after her $5 losses to him at the cafeteria. I feel confused about her reaction when she's back at her dorm. Not sure what she was supposed to be feeling.

The coming together moment strat meet was sweet. That really needed to happen to make the final win earned.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I watched the first episode tonight and really really liked it.

Such a beautifully shot show.

Oct 25, 2017
Done here as well, that was a great ride. The music was a great fit and the set design was on point. ATJ can sure wear the hell out of a lot of attire i tell you what. I do wish the matches had a bit more depth to them, as someone who's not too familiar I'd would have been good to learn a bit more. Off to watch a few chess videos on YT lol.

The moment with Benny where he's explaining the Paris game customs to her post coitus and she's got a real chuckle out of me. I mean she's all about chess so I didn't really expect that form her.
"are you serious?"
"yeah, very. they never lay their kings down, either."
"i meant 'Are you serious?' "
"this is what you're thinking about right now right now"

and speaking of Benny, after her $5 losses to him at the cafeteria. I feel confused about her reaction when she's back at her dorm. Not sure what she was supposed to be feeling.

The coming together moment strat meet was sweet. That really needed to happen to make the final win earned.

I took it as her losing on purpose to either learn his weaknesses, or lull him into complacency. When she kicks his ass later in speed chess, it confirms that whatever she was doing earlier was very much a ploy.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I took it as her losing on purpose to either learn his weaknesses, or lull him into complacency. When she kicks his ass later in speed chess, it confirms that whatever she was doing earlier was very much a ploy.

Yup. He straight up admits he hasn't been hustled like that in years. The fact that she did it x3 was the chefs kiss fuck you

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
The fact that a grown woman is playing a 15 year old girl is really off-putting, although I only just started the show.

The dry jokes are the highlights so far.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Just finished episode 2 and forcing myself to stop so I can spread it out more. This is really really good stuff. Anya Taylor Joy is incredible as always.

Definitely need immense suspension of disbelief that she's 15 in that episode but it's whatever lol

kilner

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished this. It was a fun ride and basically just a really long movie. But I don't see how no one on the writing staff saw they put a magic negro in this movie.

From what I remember, Beth approaches Jolene for help in the novel, rather than Jolene appearing out of nowhere, like she does in the last two episodes of this series.
It's probably challenging to finesse this trope, given the role Jolene has in the source material, but that decision only seemed to highlight it more.

Other than that, I enjoyed this. Same with The Good Lord Bird so far. And I'm looking forward to The Underground Railroad.

More novel-to-miniseries adaptations, please.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this absolutely amazing show. Anya is absurdly talented.

I just finished this. It was a fun ride and basically just a really long movie. But I don't see how no one on the writing staff saw they put a magic negro in this movie.

Smh yea it was hard to not notice this lol

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Anya Taylor-Joy is a bit better in this than she was for Emma, and omg at Benny being the boy from Love Actually, he's changed so little in some ways.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Lmao I was for some reason convinced there were only 6 episodes in this series so when I checked and there were 5 minutes left in episode 6 I was like "okay..." and at the end of it was just "!?!?!?!?!?" thinking that was how the series ended. Debating watching it now or waiting until tomorrow, this has been one of my favorite things I've watched in recent memory. Can't be stated enough how good Anya Taylor Joy is.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
is there something wrong with the hdr/dolby vision? i use an lg b9 oled and compared to other netflix shows, the dolby vision does not seem to work right?

its often washed out and too dark. hard to make out some details. i watched it side by side on my surface and it looks much, MUCH better there (full hd / sdr).

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
is there something wrong with the hdr/dolby vision? i use an lg b9 oled and compared to other netflix shows, the dolby vision does not seem to work right?

its often washed out and too dark. hard to make out some details. i watched it side by side on my surface and it looks much, MUCH better there (full hd / sdr).
On my C9, the blacks were dark gray instead of black. I didn't notice any glaring issues beyond that, but yeah, black levels were messed up.