• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes watching people play chess, this miniseries is looking really interesting. Also, I love the hair of the main character.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Ok, this trailer went into a very different direction than I would have thought. Looks interesting though, and I'm seriously starving for new content at the moment

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_n0700rIvgP1rt5ctno1_250.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my favourite novels, and has had some bonkers talent attached over the years (Bernardo Bertolucci, etc). Recommend reading it a billion percent:
www.goodreads.com

The Queen's Gambit

When she is sent to an orphanage at the age of eight, B…
It's from Walter Tevis who also wrote The Hustler, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Mockingbird, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, very happy with that trailer. I have enormous expectations, but Scott Frank is pretty fab all around and seems to be doing a good job.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to shamelessly bump this because it's a bummer it didn't get more attention :(

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
100 % RT
www.rottentomatoes.com

The Queen's Gambit | Rotten Tomatoes

Set during the Cold War era, orphaned chess prodigy Beth Harmon struggles with addiction in a quest to become the greatest chess player in the world.

85 MC
www.metacritic.com

The Queen's Gambit

The seven-episode series based on Walter Tevis's novel of the same name follows young orphan Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) as she grows up and battles addiction while seeking to become the best chess player in the world during the Cold War.

Lookin good so far!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
100 % RT
www.rottentomatoes.com

The Queen's Gambit | Rotten Tomatoes

Set during the Cold War era, orphaned chess prodigy Beth Harmon struggles with addiction in a quest to become the greatest chess player in the world.

85 MC
www.metacritic.com

The Queen's Gambit

The seven-episode series based on Walter Tevis's novel of the same name follows young orphan Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) as she grows up and battles addiction while seeking to become the best chess player in the world during the Cold War.

Lookin good so far!
I AM EXCITED.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the book but scott frank writes dope shit (his last miniseries for netflix, godless, was so good) and i love anya taylor joy as well so definitely adding to my list and watching soon

May read after i see it

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Bestie just binged this whole series and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, she was already on Episode 4 by the time I woke up this morning (she's an eeaaaarrrlly riser), so I haven't had a chance to check it out myself. The fact that it's based on a novel by Walter Tevis has me intrigued. (The Hustler is one of my favorite movies.)

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp im gonna be marathoning this tonight. Was planning on watching some other movies but this is too good.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Was amazing! 100% certified fresh at RT. Whoever this Scott Frank guy is, he wrote and directed every episode.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
my wife brought this up to me tonight as an avid chess fan. we'll probably give it a shot after we watch Borat tomorrow.

she better play d4 c4 if chess is actually shown

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
oh its s series? Hell yes, I absolutely hate playing chess.........but love watching the genius behind it. God, can remember all the videos of Magnus Carlson i watched due to youtubes algorithms

Definitely going to start this after the boys season 2

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only two down but I love this so far. Nothing amazing but great little period piece with god momentum as it tells the story. Just good s vibes.

Oct 27, 2017
Anya Taylor Joy is such a fun actress. Really well paced story and good supporting characters. Enjoyed watching this series. Plowed through it in one day.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to check this out when I thought it was going to be something about Green Arrow....Im a little disappointed, but this looks rad, so I will watch it for a different reason, haha.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of my favourite novels, and has had some bonkers talent attached over the years (Bernardo Bertolucci, etc). Recommend reading it a billion percent:
www.goodreads.com

The Queen's Gambit

When she is sent to an orphanage at the age of eight, B…
It's from Walter Tevis who also wrote The Hustler, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Mockingbird, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, very happy with that trailer. I have enormous expectations, but Scott Frank is pretty fab all around and seems to be doing a good job.

oh cool. For some reason I thought this was based on real life.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Watched the whole thing yesterday, really enjoyed the whole thing, especially the way its shot and the sets themselves

Music and Anya were highlights too, along with Heller, and i never wouldve thought chess could be made to look so exciting

Jun 22, 2019
I thought it was decent. Could have been more thematically coherent overall (as this is based on fiction, right?) but enjoyable enough to binge in the background.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to watch this, because I'm a QGD player myself. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted something none heavy show, and also starring Anna Taylor Joy

just finished episode 2. liking it so far

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
One of the best Netflix shows I've seen. I binged through it in one settings. This show must have been crazy expensive to make. So many beautiful locations and period scenes.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Excited to watch this, because I'm a QGD player myself. Hahaha.
Evans Gambit for life!

I'm such a sucker for anything chess related. Actually getting good chess media is rarer than it should be.

I was watching Ted Lasso last night and characters who liked chess kept saying like "Queen to King 5" and I was like make it stop please.