• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Resubbed to Sky yesterday and watched this one in two days. It's a 6/10 crime show with 10/10 action sequences. The two bigger shootouts in the show are insane, especially for a TV show. Closest we got to classic John Woo 90s cinema IMHO with all the bloodshed, furious camera work and impactful bullets. Also some fine martial arts scenes here and there.

The rest of the show is okay, but not great. The drama often falls flat because none of these characters is likeable minus the main good guy. Almost everyone else is a sadistic psychopath or an innocent victim. The pacing isn't great as well and the overall story is kinda meh, especially those twists in the last episode. And it sorely lacks an explosive finale.

Oct 26, 2017
Resubbed to Sky yesterday and watched this one in two days. It's a 6/10 crime show with 10/10 action sequences. The two bigger shootouts in the show are insane, especially for a TV show. Closest we got to classic John Woo 90s cinema IMHO with all the bloodshed, furious camera work and impactful bullets. Also some fine martial arts scenes here and there.

The rest of the show is okay, but not great. The drama often falls flat because none of these characters is likeable minus the main good guy. Almost everyone else is a sadistic psychopath or an innocent victim. The pacing isn't great as well and the overall story is kinda meh, especially those twists in the last episode. And it sorely lacks an explosive finale.
I think the story would have been a lot stronger if they spent more time building the relationship between the two main characters....of whom's names I've forgotten....but that would have made the final episode a lot stronger.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I finally found the time to finish watching this tonight, and holy shit it fucking RIPPED. Undying love and respect to Gareth Evans for going so hard with this. Goddammit.

I can't get over how well this man shoots action. There's never a half-measure; when it's on it is fucking END OF THE WORLD ON. Every punch breaks something, every kick sends someone rocketing through a wall, every swing of a weapon is at 110% power, missing by microns. I've watched like seven hundred thousand martial arts movies in my life, I'm very hard to please, and this shit has me squirming in my seat, white-knuckling it every time. It's like they aimed for the utterly insane, scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs intensity of the machete fight from The Raid 1 for every action scene here. Wildly creative choreography gorgeously captured on film, and not one inch of the frame goes to waste. There's always an inventive new angle to shoot from to make you feel like you're right there in the fight while still keeping the action perfectly readable. The camera man is just as much part of the fight as the two fighters themselves. GOD, I can't get enough.

And the gun violence? Fuggedaboudit. Every bullet hits like a cannon shell. Motherfuckers are getting straight up PULPED. That sniper rifle was turning men into GOOP. GOOPING MOTHERFUCKERS. I'm going to be thinking about the one Danish merc that gets fucking vaporised at the molecular level for months. 10/10. 12/10 GOAT: Goopest of all Time.

I really liked the non-action stuff, too. I liked Evans' crime drama chops in The Raid 2 and I liked them again here; it ain't Scorcese but I think it's more than adequate for establishing the general feeling of dread and ratcheting up the tension before the sweet release of another apocalyptic action scene. Most of the cast is made up of entertainingly sadistic psychos and you can tell the actors had a lot of fun with them. The guy who played Asif was MVP with those crazy eyes, but I really enjoyed Luan and Lale, too. Special mention to absolute goddess Michelle Fairley, too. You can't teach what she's got.

I loved the finale. I might have preferred a hard ending over a setup for another season, but I guess that ship has sailed and I'll happily watch another one anyway. Hopefully the show did well enough to get them the same budget for Season 2, or even more this time, because this thing must have been expensive, lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found the time to finish watching this tonight, and holy shit it fucking RIPPED. Undying love and respect to Gareth Evans for going so hard with this. Goddammit.

I can't get over how well this man shoots action. There's never a half-measure; when it's on it is fucking END OF THE WORLD ON. Every punch breaks something, every kick sends someone rocketing through a wall, every swing of a weapon is at 110% power, missing by microns. I've watched like seven hundred thousand martial arts movies in my life, I'm very hard to please, and this shit has me squirming in my seat, white-knuckling it every time. It's like they aimed for the utterly insane, scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs intensity of the machete fight from The Raid 1 for every action scene here. Wildly creative choreography gorgeously captured on film, and not one inch of the frame goes to waste. There's always an inventive new angle to shoot from to make you feel like you're right there in the fight while still keeping the action perfectly readable. The camera man is just as much part of the fight as the two fighters themselves. GOD, I can't get enough.

And the gun violence? Fuggedaboudit. Every bullet hits like a cannon shell. Motherfuckers are getting straight up PULPED. That sniper rifle was turning men into GOOP. GOOPING MOTHERFUCKERS. I'm going to be thinking about the one Danish merc that gets fucking vaporised at the molecular level for months. 10/10. 12/10 GOAT: Goopest of all Time.

I really liked the non-action stuff, too. I liked Evans' crime drama chops in The Raid 2 and I liked them again here; it ain't Scorcese but I think it's more than adequate for establishing the general feeling of dread and ratcheting up the tension before the sweet release of another apocalyptic action scene. Most of the cast is made up of entertainingly sadistic psychos and you can tell the actors had a lot of fun with them. The guy who played Asif was MVP with those crazy eyes, but I really enjoyed Luan and Lale, too. Special mention to absolute goddess Michelle Fairley, too. You can't teach what she's got.

I loved the finale. I might have preferred a hard ending over a setup for another season, but I guess that ship has sailed and I'll happily watch another one anyway. Hopefully the show did well enough to get them the same budget for Season 2, or even more this time, because this thing must have been expensive, lol.
Fucking right. Spot on how I feel about this show.

I'll add that I loved how he steered the ending, I really was not expecting this outcome for certain characters, that things would escalate so far and change the game so much. I know some would have prefered more grounding, and more focus on a smaller scale, but I personally love how far they took it.

Really hope we get another season.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
This show was great but it has a real nasty sadistic streak. It loves its torture and suffering and executions just a little too much for my tastes.

Also if we're going there with goop, shout out to the grenade in a caravan moment where the guy gets blown halfway out a window, is hanging there clearly dead or dying, but the thug still follows up by point blank shotgunning his head.

I will say there were a couple moments where I was convinced I knew what was about to happen next and I was totally wrong. It's nice to have smart storytelling occasionally.

Last edited:

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
This show was great but it has a real nasty sadistic streak. It loves its torture and suffering and executions just a little too much for my tastes.
Heh, that's easily my least favorite aspect of The Raid movies, mainly Raid 2, and why I don't find myself rewatching them really. I love the quick, ultraviolent action scenes. But I can't handle the slower, drawn out execution/torture stuff.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. Whenever the Raid movies are mentioned it's usually in regards of the martial arts but the way Evans shoots gunfights is amazing as well. The whole country house shootout will probably go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Whenever the Raid movies are mentioned it's usually in regards of the martial arts but the way Evans shoots gunfights is amazing as well. The whole country house shootout will probably go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Yes and it also incorporated a lot of environmental destruction and mess which I only really see in John Woo movies as well. Most other movie shootouts neglect that detail.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Welp your review sold me on finding out how I can watch it where I live.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
If people want to see some lesser known balls out crazy Gareth Evans insanity I cannot recommend his short from VHS 2 highly enough. Just complete carnage and horror. So good.

Aug 27, 2018
Just found out Gareth Evans' has a damned tv show so I'm bumping this thread as I start the series. I'll watch anything that guy makes after watching The Raid 1 and 2, even the remake he had nothing to do with (Dredd) was great.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix should pick this up for international rights, it´s split on random networks in some countries (and nothing in Canada)

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Quite simply for me, one of the best shows of last year.

Me and a friend thought we'd watch 1 episode and ended up binging the whole thing.

It's heightened silliness, but the drama still pays off and it has a keen sense of the real players in London.

I love how desperate and scrappy the fight scenes play out. Whilst still retaining that style that Gareth Evans does so well.

And the gun fights, my god such beauty.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the pub fight on YouTube. It was good! But ultimately, how does the action compare to Banshee?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the pub fight on YouTube. It was good! But ultimately, how does the action compare to Banshee?

i would see the action and camerawork in the set pieces are a bit more flashy and meticulous that Banshee/ Warrior, but that's mainly in episodes 1-5. The action drops off in the second half of the season.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just to tie a bow on this, Gareth Evans confirmed no content edits on the AMC linear broadcast.

ghuwevans said:
no change to content, believe it's all fully uncut - just slight differences might be position of commercial breaks, and also the aforementioned split of Ep 1 into 2 individual episodes

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Bumping this thread because this show fucking rules and more people need to watch it.

The action, pacing, cinematography and character work is top tier. Gareth Evans is the real deal.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 teaser. 2022 release.

Not sure how much Gareth Evans has to do with season 2, his episodes in S1 were by far the best.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Excited. Really enjoyed season 1. Episode 5, that house assault. That shit made a lot of blockbusters look like childs play.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen the first Episode of season one, but that finale alone is...it's just shit you don't really see in television. Bless Gareth.

Can't wait to get back and finish S1