• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Metro claim the show is based on the PSP game.
metro.co.uk

Gangs Of London is actually based on a video game - here's what it was like

Sky’s newest drama, Gangs Of London, has already drawn in an audience, but did you know it’s adapted from an old PSP game?

It's the only article that says it, which leans me towards it being bullshit.

Gareth Evans mentioned the game actually, let me find the video.

Here is is, time at when it's mentioned 12.00.
Unleashing Havoc: The Journey to Gareth Evans' New Film

Last edited:

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and loved it, would have liked a little more of
Mosi and his gang, felt they could have been really interesting but maybe a little small time compared to the big bads

Elliot was awesome throughout but would have loved a couple more action sequences for him in the latter half

Hated the henchman who was onto Elliot, satisfying to see him literally get his head exploded

Personally can't wait for series 2 if they make lne

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I found the the final couple episodes too lukewarm for my taste. It could've been executed so much better. I wonder if they'll continue this series. It has potential.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having sat on this show in my head a bit, I think an anthology series with episodes like #5 would be more interesting than a Season two tbh. That, or collab with some new writers.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished ep 5.

Woowee, that was pretty good. Really enjoying the series so far.

Nomad Blue

Oct 30, 2017
Cardiff, UK
That fifth episode...holy shit.

The plot seems fairly standard crime drama fare but the technical execution is really impressive. Also nice to see Wales get a look in :)

I think it was part funded by the Welsh gov, so parts of it were filmed in Wales(i noticed one of the arcades from Cardiff city centre in one of the episodes), and a few Welsh actors thrown in for good measure.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Late to the conversation but I'm loving this. While the story won't win any awards, a lot of the acting is really good and jesus fuck is the cinematography top notch like holy shit. It's so refreshing to be able to follow basically everything and not be lost with what's going on on screen. There is so much great camera work, even simple stuff is impressive in the fact you wouldn't find even it on most TV shows. Hell in episode 4 when the camera follows the maid/server girl near the end, it wasn't anything spectacular in a grand sense but the simple fact you're not getting shots like that in most shows is just wow.

Thoroughly enjoyed it

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed this, definitely not perfect (episodes 6 & 7 were a slog for me) everything did the job and the action was fantastic. Some genuine surprises in the last episode too.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I really liked this show, damn !

Question about the ending tho, either I wasnt paying attention or its been left unexplained for a potential season 2 ?

Who were all the dead bodies in the bags during the interrogation sequence ? and who killed the old white cop ?

Late to the conversation but I'm loving this. While the story won't win any awards, a lot of the acting is really good and jesus fuck is the cinematography top notch like holy shit. It's so refreshing to be able to follow basically everything and not be lost with what's going on on screen. There is so much great camera work, even simple stuff is impressive in the fact you wouldn't find even it on most TV shows. Hell in episode 4 when the camera follows the maid/server girl near the end, it wasn't anything spectacular in a grand sense but the simple fact you're not getting shots like that in most shows is just wow.

Thoroughly enjoyed it

Agree with this. There was one drone shot in season 5 that really blew me away too.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017

Even before it launches on HBO's Cinemax later this year, Gareth Evan's bloody and violent crime drama Gangs of London has already scored record numbers in the U.K.

The nine-part series — Evans' first foray into TV and produced by Pulse Films in association with Sister Pictures — landed a seven-day cumulative audience of 2.23 million on Sky Atlantic, part of Comcast's pay TV giant Sky, making it the channel's second-biggest original drama launch of all time behind Fortitude. THR understands that future seasons of the show are now being discussed with the producers.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Would be great if I could watch it....

I'm missing out on so many TV shows that are simply not available here. Gangs of London being the one that makes me remember that.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The choreography on this show is insane. I never expected anything less from Gareth Evans.. but I still wasn't prepared.

The plot is what it is.. the action alone makes this worth watching.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What a strange beast this is. It's like watching a totally dull, run of the mill British crime drama, but then someone has spliced in bits of The Night Comes For Us. The action is pretty impeccably staged - as you'd expect - but even then there's quite a bit of variability. In the first episode alone you have a really choppy fight (in the pub) and then an amazing, clear, incredibly tense one towards the end.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
I've just started Episode 6, and I'm confused. Are we supposed to know how Ed knows who was behind the attempted hit? That seemed to happen a bit quick...

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've just started Episode 6, and I'm confused. Are we supposed to know how Ed knows who was behind the attempted hit? That seemed to happen a bit quick...
Him and Alexander talk about it and say it was mighty convenient the attempt happened while they were meeting the investors. So they just put two and two together.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Question about the ending tho, either I wasnt paying attention or its been left unexplained for a potential season 2 ?
Sorry but I've forgotten the names,
but he was shot by the black son when him and Elliot were running away from the raid at that night club where peaky blinders guy was hiding/killed. I imagine the bodies are from that failed raid/shoot out.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly getting through the show for a few weeks now but holy shit episode 5.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode was promising, but four episodes in and I'm feeling ambivalent about it. I'm not really invested in the characters, and I wish it wasn't as mystery-driven as it is.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching.

The
illuminati
nonsense really brings down the show. I don't understand why they didn't make an actual gangster show instead of this weirdness. The action scenes are pretty spectacular for TV though.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first episode was promising, but four episodes in and I'm feeling ambivalent about it. I'm not really invested in the characters, and I wish it wasn't as mystery-driven as it is.
The problem with shows like this is that every character is an unlikeable asshole, so it's hard to root for anyone. Even the main dude wasn't particularly likeable.
GOAT tv action, though. Sad that it petered out, action-wise, after the siege.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with shows like this is that every character is an unlikeable asshole, so it's hard to root for anyone. Even the main dude wasn't particularly likeable.
GOAT tv action, though. Sad that it petered out, action-wise, after the siege.
I agree 100%, this show doesn't have any good characters sadly.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Everything after the Farmhouse was a slog to watch. The show was super top tier and then just runs off a cliff trying to tie up all it's loose ends.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah it peaked at the siege
hopefully next seasons they cut the season down into less episodes but more action throughout

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
If there's a second season I hope this goes thru the same arc as Black Sails. Just as with BS there's heaps of potential in this first season and it all looks just absolutely fabulous at all times, but characters and plot didn't work out all the way and pacing's all over the place. Some dumb stuff gets resolved, some big questions completely ignored or left unanswered (maybe because hopes for second season). I don't really share the 'second half off a cliff' sentiment - it just doesn't hit that groove this season for me, but the potential is just massive.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
AMC will air season 1 this fall in the US, after Cinemax decided to drop it (they're no longer doing original series).

The series has also been renewed for season 2.

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a second season I hope this goes thru the same arc as Black Sails. Just as with BS there's heaps of potential in this first season and it all looks just absolutely fabulous at all times, but characters and plot didn't work out all the way and pacing's all over the place. Some dumb stuff gets resolved, some big questions completely ignored or left unanswered (maybe because hopes for second season). I don't really share the 'second half off a cliff' sentiment - it just doesn't hit that groove this season for me, but the potential is just massive.
Black Sails was such a huge surprise for me. I expected a Spartacus level show that was boobs and pirates, but it ended up being a hell of a lot more engaging, serious, and dramatic than I expected.

Silver's character alone went through such a sincere and dramatic transition they were like two different characters by the end.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
AMC will air season 1 this fall in the US, after Cinemax decided to drop it (they're no longer doing original series).

The series has also been renewed for season 2.

I did like the first season, but it could have been a lot tighter. I would be happy if it season 2 is a regular BBC length of 5 or 6 episodes like Line of Duty and have it all directed by Evans. I guess this is more of a Sky's baby and Cinemax is pretty much dead. I hope Warrior season 2 gets treated well too.

I am looking forward to more proper Lady Stoneheart.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show is arriving on AMC+ tonight. I think its kind of lame that they're not showing it on the actual AMC channel and a missed opportunity to build hype for season 2 which AMC is involved in producing.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The show is arriving on AMC+ tonight. I think its kind of lame that they're not showing it on the actual AMC channel and a missed opportunity to build hype for season 2 which AMC is involved in producing.

AMC just launched their streaming service AMC+ direct to consumer (as in, it doesn't require a cable sub) earlier today, and Gangs of London is one of the shows they're using to hype it up and build their audience. It will air early next year on AMC, but linear is becoming less and less relevant, so it makes sense that they'd try to shift their audience toward streaming.

Season 2 probably won't premiere months early on AMC+ - it'll most likely just go up a couple days early on AMC+ like they do with their other shows (Walking Dead World Beyond airs this Sunday but the premiere was released today on AMC+, Soulmates airs this Monday but the premiere is up on AMC+, etc)

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it'll actually air on the linear channel? I can wait. No more streaming services.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Early next year to see it on TV? Not all episodes available on their streaming service despite the whole season already being out on Sky on day 1? How they've handled the US release is pretty dumb.

Edit: Seems like you can add AMC+ to Amazon Prime. Still dumb but slightly less dumb. Edit 2: 8.99 a month? Dumb. Thought it was 4.99 at first.

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Shiiiiiiittttttt I was trippin trippin. I only just finished episode 4 and this shit is easily worth the 4.99 a month. I'd even pay 8.99 a month for it.

Get on it. AMC+ has up to episode 9 at the moment.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Shiiiiiiittttttt I was trippin trippin. I only just finished episode 4 and this shit is easily worth the 4.99 a month. I'd even pay 8.99 a month for it.

Get on it. AMC+ has up to episode 9 at the moment.
Way ahead of you buddy. I subbed through Apple plus the minute the show dropped. I knew it would be a dumb fun bombastic Evans joint and I'm here for it