• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
why does every horror movie these days have a scene where someone hides in a bathroom stall

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who thinks the original is really great, I am not sure if I am into this. Prob will wait till VOD.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Looked pretty good. It's been a minute since a movie trailer got me excited like this. I do hope we didn't get spoiled on a lot of the stuff though.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nice cameo from the mother in the first Candyman movie, at least I'm guessing that's just a cameo and not connected to what she experienced in the first film.

I thought the trailer was kinda meh, and I chuckled a little bit from hearing "Say My Name". Still going to see it as Candyman is one of my favorite horror films.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I really dig the idea of
Candyman essentially having to retell his story through someone new. It plays into the finale of the first movie.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Looks different & happy it feels like it's got some good scares. But seems like Todd isn't really in it much unless they're really hiding him for the first trailer. You'd think though if he was playing Candyman, they'd want to show him off as at least a good stinger.

Guess the main guy is going to turn into Candyman after being stung by the bee. That's different.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
If this is a stealth sequel like people have been saying, there's no reason not to bring him back.

According to the official synopsis, the main character's name is Anthony, so with the time lining up; he could be the baby from the first Candyman movie if they really wanted to go the low-key sequel route.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't know this was being made as a spiritual sequel. I'm guessing it ignores the events of the other Candyman sequels.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the strongest aspects of the first movie was the kind of class, race and real estate version of body-horror - the buildings, the neighborhoods, the decay and the ever present danger of violence - you saw the contrast with the deluxe condo VS the project - identical architecture but a gulf of wealth and inequality with Virginia Madsen being placed as contrast in both places. She also ties the racial disparity by being this perfect, blond, waspy figure. She's sympathetic as a character and to the plight of the people in Cabrini Green, but she's completely out of her depth.

Her resurrection subplot also shows the cycle of violence and the utter lack of change. The slaves are still in the same place in the future, and the legal status has changed, but the decay and violence and societal ceilings are intact.

So you have the terror of the supernatural, the sort of societal fear of the other, and the fear of violence and crime - Madsen being shocked by it and the locals being ground down and corroded by it - and becoming it - so there's this permanent all encompassing Matryoshka doll of different layers of fear and dread.

That's actually one of the things I loved about Get Out - which was that it recaptured elements of Candyman - especially for white people - the dread and discomfort came from knowing that the underlying facts are true and that people - who should be your equals and peers and safe in the nice condo - are living in a nightmare that you only have to visit - either as a theater goer or through the eyes of Madsen's character. All of that discomfits and undermines the foundational sense viewers have of the film - so that when th traditional horror happens, you're already in a very bad place and a place that isn't fantasy - it's recognition of something totally real.

Imagine watching the Exorcist but in a world where demonic possession is actually real. That's a bad place and it amplifies the scraes and the substance.

Candyman is such an amazing film - the score, the subject, the power it all has - for what should have been just another schlocky horror film, but it's deliberately and artfully subversive. Glad Peele is involved because he's the spiritual successor to the original. Wish he was directing tho.

I hope they lean into those aspects hard.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
oh HELL yes. So ready for a rewatch. I haven't seen the sequels, weirdly. I'm sure they're terrible, but I *love* watching mindless horror sequels trying to justify themselves.