• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really recommend exchanging money at the airport in the US?? If you do that in the UK you'd get ripped THE FUCK off, like, it's daylight robbery!?

Just about every money exchange inside the airport has ridiculous exchange rates in their favor. Basically that is your last resort if you have no local currency with you when you arrive at your country of visit.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
If you're planning on walking a lot wear good supportive footwear.

I didn't follow this advice and somehow wound up with a stress fracture from crappy trainers.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You could use ATMs at airports and choose your local banks currency exchange (if available). Thats what I did in HK and Seoul.

I think that is a good option if you have internationally recognized cards, like Visa, Mastercard, Unionpay, etc. The percentage fee might be better than the unfavorable exchange rates.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
- THE most useful thing abroad is google maps. Honestly, sometimes I don't know what I'd do without it.
- If you don't have an international mobile plan I recommend getting a local sim card.
- Exchange money literally anywhere but the airport. Worst rates there. Maybe even exchange a small amount before, and exchange the rest when you're already there? Don't know much about Taiwan but usually in Asia you can get pretty good rates for exchanging dollars iirc.

Going back to google maps - what I like to do while going aborad is mark all the places I want to go to (parks, restaurants, attractions, museums, bars, etc..) and once I finish putting everything on the map it makes planning your days much easier. You can immediately see where everything is and maybe even plan a route or just dedicate a day to a specific area.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just about every money exchange inside the airport has ridiculous exchange rates in their favor. Basically that is your last resort if you have no local currency with you when you arrive at your country of visit.

I said it earlier. Charles Schwab checking account, no fees and you get the daily Visa rate.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I usually check rates on www.xe.com

My friends and I found a place through Yelp that has pretty good exchange rates, works great

And yes exchanging at an airport or anywhere near one will get you ripped off

Also check what kind of fees your bank has for foreign transactions if you plan on using any cards overseas

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan is hot as fuck and rains all the time. So be prepared for that. The people are no joke some of the nicest in the world. You can wear flip-flops everywhere but wear something closed-toed if you're going to a nicer restaurant or place like that. Toilets usually have both Western and squat toilets available. American appliances work just fine with the plugs, but sometimes you're limited to two-prong outlets.

Language, ehhh. Most people under 40 can speak a little English. If you're in Taipei much moreso. Restaurants will be hard if you don't have a local to translate menus. Learn how to say numbers and a few phrases if you can.

Download a taxi app called 55688 (requires some Chinese) or ask a clerk at a 7-11 or Family Mart to call a taxi for you to get around; don't take random taxis, only those operated by Taiwan Taxi Club (台灣大車隊, Taiwan Dache Dui). It's extraordinarily safe in Taiwan. The biggest threats are food poisoning and getting ripped off by a shady taxi. If you need any more advice you can pm me; I've lived here for 5 years.

Taipei is set up to be reasonably tourist friendly, Kaohsiung is not. Transportation is limited so I'd highly recommend the taxi app above.

Last edited:

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
How are the toilets in there?

Where we're going, we don't need toilets.

t3_3liafg