• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

New to Gamepass What you think?

• Overwhelmed this is better than expected

Votes: 381 62.4%
  • Underwhelmed worse than I thought.

Votes: 52 8.5%
  • About what i thought (positive)

Votes: 117 19.1%
  • Meh (negative)

Votes: 61 10.0%

• Total voters

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's okay

I have more games in my backlog than gamepass has in its entire list so it's not as overwhelming

The only thing I don't like is how software will be taken out from time to time which is why I prefer buying games than subbing to a service like this

Hal

Oct 5, 2020
I payed for 13 months of Ultimate and for me it is a "meh". Played now and then for a month, and havent touched it since.

PC Game Pass app is just garbage. Xcloud support is great, on the othee hand (Android).

I would recommend it only for people invested in Xbox IPs/ecosystem or that want to have a sneak peak and see how Xbox flagships (Halo, Forza, etc.) play. Third Party AAA on Game Pass are games that have been out basically forever and at a really cheap/discounted price (FF XV, Nier, The Witcher 3 etc).

Again, this is from the point of view of someone that wasnt previously into xbox and just realized that I actually dont care about xbox IPs (after trying them). I'll try again when avowed, Fable and other big games come out, but for now, is a pass.

This sums up my opinion as well.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I payed for 13 months of Ultimate and for me it is a "meh". Played now and then for a month, and havent touched it since.

PC Game Pass app is just garbage. Xcloud support is great, on the othee hand (Android).

I would recommend it only for people invested in Xbox IPs/ecosystem or that want to have a sneak peak and see how Xbox flagships (Halo, Forza, etc.) play. Third Party AAA on Game Pass are games that have been out basically forever and at a really cheap/discounted price (FF XV, Nier, The Witcher 3 etc).

Again, this is from the point of view of someone that wasnt previously into xbox and just realized that I actually dont care about xbox IPs (after trying them). I'll try again when avowed, Fable and other big games come out, but for now, is a pass.
I don't know if this is deliberate, but you forgot the indies.
The selection of indies (including quite a lot of day 1 release on GP) is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, in amount, variety and quality of course.

I can understand your point (to some extent) if you are strictly and only interested by AAA titles, though.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
I Bought a XSX as well as GamePass Ultimate for 1 year from Costco for 60$ Canadian and I'm absolutely impressed by the console and games. My last console was PS4 and never owned an Xbox One so I have a bunch of games I want to play. I currently have 20 games installed on the console and way more I want to try. The value is incredible and the convenience of never having to get up and insert a disk is also great lol. I'm a believer. I'm never going to buy 90$ Games anymore

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Game Pass is absolutely my indie box now. I've played way more indie games on Xbox than I have on PC (except for Newgrounds ;) lol) or any other platform. People who aren't taking into account games like Gardens Between and Wandersong are seriously missing out on a huge part of what makes Game Pass amazing.

Make sure one of your first 3 games that you're playing is OUTER WILDS
Yes have to play this.
Only one of the first three games?

At least two of the first three games people play should be Outer Wilds.
Yes. These people get it.

So far I have downloaded Gears 5 and Outer Worlds.
I would say the only disappointment so far is that I didn't realize DLC was in some cases sold separately. The overall experience other than that has been positive.
Yea, but Game Pass has to make money somehow haha. The way I see it is that if you like the game enough while playing it on Game Pass that you want even more of the game, it seems like a reasonable deal to pop some DLC in with the 20% GP discount to support the devs some more.

I'm not a new subscriber by any means, but man, I was scrolling through last night and it was so daunting that I ended up downloading Peggle 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. Someone help me please. I have so many better games to play, but it's like "oh, I've never played Andromeda"...an hour in and I get why. WTF is with that game? The combat seems alright, but everything else just feels wrong. I couldn't even tell you what's supposed to be happening in the story. I should really just delete it.

Also, do the game trials work for EA Game Pass? I'd like to try out Squadrons, but I don't see the option.
Yes, that's because Andromeda and Peggle 2 are great :p. lol. The quest writing is real... unsatisfying. But the combat and traversal are really engaging. The most fun Mass Effect I've played. But definitely not the best built world/galaxy/narrative.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I Bought a XSX as well as GamePass Ultimate for 1 year from Costco for 60$ Canadian and I'm absolutely impressed by the console and games. My last console was PS4 and never owned an Xbox One so I have a bunch of games I want to play. I currently have 20 games installed on the console and way more I want to try. The value is incredible and the convenience of never having to get up and insert a disk is also great lol. I'm a believer. I'm never going to buy 90$ Games anymore

Im going to try a year or so of GamePass + major Switch releases and see how I go. Before this I was PS4 Pro + Switch, but I typically only bought around 2 PS games a year. I'm curious to see if I play games any differently with GamePass

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot think of a single reason to consider this service is disappointing in any way. It's not just crazy value for money (especially with the current promotions), it also has an amazing catalog full of gems old and new. From Tetris Effect and Untitled Goose Game to Dead Space and Dishonored 2, simply insane.

Last edited:

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Im going to try a year or so of GamePass + major Switch releases and see how I go. Before this I was PS4 Pro + Switch, but I typically only bought around 2 PS games a year. I'm curious to see if I play games any differently with GamePass
I'd do at least two years if I were you.
  1. You can still get a year of XBLG for $60 on Amazon, and $5/month for Gamepass is an absolute steal. (In fact, I'd consider even adding a couple more 3-month passes for $24 on top of that, to get close to the three-year limit.)
  2. 2021 is going to be just alright from a Xbox first-party perspective, but 2022 seems like it might be wild. I think you'd probably really regret it if the floodgates opened right as your cheap Gold-to-Gamepass conversion expired, and you're suddenly paying $15/month because you wanted to save $60 the year before.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd do at least two years if I were you.
  1. You can still get a year of XBLG for $60 on Amazon, and $5/month for Gamepass is an absolute steal. (In fact, I'd consider even adding a couple more 3-month passes for $24 on top of that, to get close to the three-year limit.)
  2. 2021 is going to be just alright from a Xbox first-party perspective, but 2022 seems like it might be wild. I think you'd probably really regret it if the floodgates opened right as your cheap Gold-to-Gamepass conversion expired, and you're suddenly paying $15/month because you wanted to save $60 the year before.

Oh I'm in All Access right now, so 2 years is a lock. I just meant I'm trying to avoid buying all three systems and feeling obligated to buy every hyped release on PS5 as well.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's okay

I have more games in my backlog than gamepass has in its entire list so it's not as overwhelming

The only thing I don't like is how software will be taken out from time to time which is why I prefer buying games than subbing to a service like this
You have hundreds of games that you've spent money on but not played?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see the results of the polls are still overly positive...

ps- I can't say it enough, guys pls don't forget to play The Gardens between.

DSmalls84

Jun 2, 2018
[QUOTE="cyrribrae, post: 51494354,Yea, but Game Pass has to make money somehow haha. The way I see it is that if you like the game enough while playing it on Game Pass that you want even more of the game, it seems like a reasonable deal to pop some DLC in with the 20% GP discount to support the devs some more.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I think in my mind with Microsoft's marketing being a lot of "Day 1 on Gamepass" lately I just expected Peril on Gorgon to be included with Outer Worlds. Not trying to diminish the service as i am enjoying the Series X and Gamepass a ton. Just slightly disappointing relative to expectations.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Pssh, he doesn't actually have gamepass

I had gamepass via a 3 month free code for buying my gaming pc earlier in the year - beaten gears 1 and 4 for an example and thanks to gamepass I ended up buying Forza 3 and 4 with their dlc

Also don't get me wrong - gamepass is worth it for sure if you don't have a huge backlog and a great way to try out more recent games

Last edited:

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see so many votes for surprised and overwhelmed. I felt like Gamepass is very clear about what it offers, and it's great, but it's exactly as expected.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I only have PC but I picked up ultimate for streaming games and EA play, but streaming isn't on PC yet and EA Play, Bethesda stuff and lots of other games are console only. Disappointing!

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
First timer here - loving it. Legit in awe at how many games I can play. Ive been trying out games in genres I've got little exposure in such as Forza and its been great. I've been adding loads to the play later section, def enough to satisfy me for a long while
This is the best part of game pass. You can try something you aren't sure you will like and there is zero risk.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's fucking awesome and makes me double down on never buying a game new for $70.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible. I've been using it this past month on my PC while waiting for my XSX to arrive. The amount of content is wild.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not technically new because I tried it for Crusader Kings III on PC when that came out, but I didn't play anything else on it. I'm now actually checking it out on Series X and it's absolutely wild imo. Just so much to play that's not just "hmm, I'd play that", but rather "damn I need to play this".

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Eh the PC offering is kinda lacking compared to the console. At least EA Play is coming.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You have hundreds of games that you've spent money on but not played?
If you're a PC gamer and you get free or super cheap deals every other day, plus things like Humble Bundles/Choice, etc. it isn't hard to accumulate a ton of games that you won't likely have time to play. On Steam alone, I have over 250 unplayed games.

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
I have had an Xbox since 2013 but just joined GamePass for the XSX (c'mon Amazon), but I am really excited about the variety of everything.

Downloaded a bunch of Indies I have wanted to play: Untitled Goose Game, Lonely Mountain Downhill, Katana Zero, and Golf with Friends. Pulled down FH4 as a showcase for the new box, and there are a ton of big games I didn't ever get too that I look forward to trying with the only commitment being space and download data. Throw in EA stuff like some of the sports titles and Titanfall 2 and there is so much stuff.

Lastly, my daughter wants Minecraft and The Hunter: call of the wild for her birthday and they are both included in the service. Win, win, win.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It's about what I expected, but in a good way. I downloaded the app on my phone weeks before getting the XSX and already added games to my list to play later, so I've had time to come to grips with what's there. Looking forward to exploring a lot of it.

If it wasn't for Game Pass, I literally wouldn't have bought an XSX, at least at launch. Although to be fair, I would have held off on buying a PS5, too.

dopamine__

Oct 28, 2020
First time owning an Xbox. I love it and it was the specific reason why I purchased it. Having all these games and switching between them very fast is a really cool experience.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
It is one of the reasons I bought a Series X and it is kind of overwhelming how many games there are to pick from. I suspect it is something I am definitely keeping around for the long term.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not exactly new, had it for more than a year, and took the trial back when it first came out, but gamepass actually gives me a reason to use the Xbox a lot more often than my PS4 or Switch. It's awesome. Before gamepass I played 1-2 games per year if that on Xbox.

Also people should give Forager a try. Didn't know what to expect at all other than it kinda looking like Stardew valley graphics wise. Ended up being obsessed with it for a week putting 30 hours into it.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I skipped the Xbox One and now have a Series X with 3 years of Gamepass. Already put around 30 games on my to play list. With the prices of games going up, Gamepass is going to save me a lot of money. I like trying out games, and I used to jump on sales on PSN to try out a game and then getting bored of it after a few hours and feel guilty about the money. With Gamepass I can just try stuff without feeling guilty spending money. And it'll make it easier to wait for pricedrops for third party titles and Sony first party. Good times.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I keep laughing. I'm like, "oh shit I also can play that? Lol." Every couple minutes. I completely forgot about how much stuff is on the ea vault. All Dragon Age, mass effect Star Wars... Dante's Inferno?! Amazing
When a friend came over in March and I showed her what's on GP (she only has a PS4), laughter and bewilderment at the quantity and quality were also her reactions lol

Jan 10, 2018
It made me discover Forza Horizon 4, which is one of the best games I've played, like ever.

I also got the chance to play Gears of War which I wouldn't really pay for otherwise.

All in all I'm very positive about it so far.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
I'm back to the Xbox ecosystem, first time since the 360 era... gotta say, I LOVE IT... downloaded MCC on my spanky new XSX and feel like I'm 15 years younger! Good selection at amazing price!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but your comment on third party AAA games isn't exactly strictly true. We had Metro Exodus and Devil May Cry 5 not that long after retail release (less than a year). Doom Eternal in less than a year. Destiny 2 Shadowkeep is on there day one. Among others.
it's also unwise to reduce the Xbox stuff to 'Halo, Gears, Forza'. Games like Ori, Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Tell me Why etc are on there for life.

Fixation on third party AAA games means you also miss out on lots of great games. The new Streets of Rage game that came out this year was brilliant, and it was on Gamepass day one. Ditto for Tetris.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
When a friend came over in March and I showed her what's on GP (she only has a PS4), laughter and bewilderment at the quantity and quality were also her reactions lol

From what I can see, for anybody who didn't keep up with every single release last gen, and anybody whose never owned an XBox, the value is absolutely there. I'm counting down the days until I get mine - Telstra says 18 November, fingers crossed as I took 20th off (mostly for Age of Calamity, but I'll be using that whole weekend for games I'm sure).

Must play:
  • Unravel 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable 2 (hope it holds up...)
  • Grounded
  • Hellblade
  • Ori 1/2
  • Outer Wilds
  • Overcooked 2
  • Resident Evil VII
  • Sea of Theives
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Untitled Goose Game
Want to try:
  • Bloodstained
  • Destiny 2
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5 (maybe? - no history with the franchise, but I want to give it a shot)
  • Halo (All?)
  • Various other indie titles...

And as soon as Bethesda is on board, add Doom 2016 and Fallout 4 to games I want to give a shot.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
I don't see many negative posts, yet there are 48 for 'meh'.

Makes you wonder ;)

Eh, there is no conspiracy

I got gamepass with the $1 deal for PC and its very much meh for me. This is somewhat due to my dislike of the windows store (like I downloaded FF9, only to just buy it on steam later so that I could use proper mods). It's odd but 95% of the catalogue does not interest me - I feel like I'm just waiting for MS's first party to start releasing compelling games.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Im a bit confused, did you have some kind of a deal on the monthly price? I'm signed up for 24 months but it's basically retail price for GamePass
Oh, yeah.
They have the "get a month of gamepass ultimate for $1" deal. But since gamepass ultimate has Xbox Live Gold contained within it, the way it worked was when you did the one month for $1 it automatically converts all your existing months of gold into gamepass ultimate. So it was essentially a "convert all your gold to gamepass for $1" deal.

So the trick was to buy a bunch of Gold up front, then convert it. So since you can get a year of Gold for $60 on Amazon, people would buy two years and convert, essentially getting two years of gamepass for $5/month. That's a steep discount versus the $15/month it usually is.