• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New to Gamepass What you think?

• Overwhelmed this is better than expected

Votes: 381 62.4%
  • Underwhelmed worse than I thought.

Votes: 52 8.5%
  • About what i thought (positive)

Votes: 117 19.1%
  • Meh (negative)

Votes: 61 10.0%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I am sure with the launch of the series X I S Many People are becoming Gamepass Subscribers for the first time

How are you feeling so far about what you expected? underwhelmed ? Overwhelmed?

I still remember being overwhelmed with choice back in 2018 when I got my One S.

It was my first Xbox console and I got it because the gamepass list started looking impressive but even seeing the list of games did not prepare me for being on the gamepass menu in the console. I had no idea what to try first.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020
Not exactly a new user , i dabbled in and out over the past year.
I like it, but i never have the drive to finish most games I start up with Gamepass. From the past year the only games on gamepass pc that ive played a lot of are CK3, FH4 and Minecraft Dungeons. Ive started a lot of other games (FF15, Rage, Recore, Kingdom Come, Outer worlds etc.), but didnt play them more than 2 hours.

I guess for me it is that when i buy a game and it isnt really bad, but also not amazing i will just finish it, because i want to make my moneys worth. With gamepass this isnt the case. The entry level per month is quite low, so i don't have a mental drive to play more than 2 hours of a game i like, but dont love. Idk its a weird mental thing and its hard to explain.

That's why my current strategy is just not having gamepass, until i want to play CK3 or FH4 again (or if another game that interest me get onto Gamepass PC) than i take it for 1 month and don't renew it.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
I keep laughing. I'm like, "oh shit I also can play that? Lol." Every couple minutes. I completely forgot about how much stuff is on the ea vault. All Dragon Age, mass effect Star Wars... Dante's Inferno?! Amazing

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I honestly giggled as I was scrolling down the list, I didn't know what to play first.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I liked the experience but i am under constant pressure to finish games as i feel like i am wasting money by not playing anything.

Jul 26, 2018
My impression is that I'm in for an overwhelming treat! I never ever imagine I'd plug a brand new console and browse thru a very varied catalog of games and pick anyone on a whim. No need to read a review, wait for deals, compare store prices, ponder if it's a solid buy or I'm wasting my money, etc. I'm playing and enjoying games I'd probably not have bought myself! It's like "here, have this large bag of candies, enjoy it"

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I'm "new" as of a year ago, but it's seriously such a great service. Every time they drop a new batch of game announcements it's like getting a bunch of gifts. There have been so many times where I see the announcement and go "YES!". Such a good feeling.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
k7ZKhx3.gif

So you like games, eh? Well. Have all the games in the world!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
PC gamepass.

Its alright. I don't think the roster of big games is particularly good, but should get better as next gen comes online. I bought Gears 4 & 5 and MS Flight Sim prior to signing up, so not much for me yet.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Amazing thing to be paired with a new console launch. I have so much games to play, even if they're mostly old or slightly enhanced - the pleasure of knowing I'm getting mostly flawless performance everywhere is amazing.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Overwhelming honestly I haven't even got to playing any games on it besides Battletoad and Katana Zero. I also saw Subnautica was on there when I was about to buy it gah too many games, I never get to the games I really want to play.

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
First timer here - loving it. Legit in awe at how many games I can play. Ive been trying out games in genres I've got little exposure in such as Forza and its been great. I've been adding loads to the play later section, def enough to satisfy me for a long while

Oct 25, 2017
I've now downloaded about 10 games. Tried about half of them for 30 minutes and moved on to the next one. This thing is great.

Also I downloaded Gears: Judgement cause it said I owned it and this thing pulled down my save from my 360. I seriously was not expecting that. I loaded it and sure enough my campaign progress was still there. I never finished this game and I could continue from where I stopped years ago.

I'm about to start downloading random 360 games to see which one still has my saves. Not sure if it can do that for all of them but it was cool.

So far Gamepass is a 10/10.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I didn't own an XB1 so I'm overwhelmed by the sheer breadth of titles. And I haven't even touched EA Access yet.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I've been subscribed for a a year now, but I think that the fact that you can buy a console and have 350 games ready to install is pretty cool.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first Xbox console I've owned since the OG Xbox (not the One).

I don't even know where to start... so I went with the only logical solution. I downloaded and am playing Ori at 120fps on my Series X.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those having difficulty picking a game you can use the rewards app to help you decide. Do rewards quests by playing certain games and earn points towards a free month of gamepass.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
It's overwhelming. I've been downloading games I didn't get a chance to play on my PS4 and finding games I want to reexperience with a higher frame rate. I've already run out of internal space on my XSX.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I got really excited about just being able to say "I would quite like to play that"

Games like Mass Effect Andromeda that I avoided because of consumer/critical reaction that now feels worth the time investment because it's essentially free.

It's only half of the puzzle though, I'm excited for the first big free Microsoft Studios release.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Make sure to check out A Plague Tale: Innocence. Really slept on game I feel and one of those hidden gems on Game Pass.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
My sister got an Xbox for first time since the 360 and I helped her get 3 years of game pass. She is amazed by the choice and is loving Forza Horizon 4 and Tell Me Why. But already she has decided she's not going to buy any games for these 3 years and is will just wait for the big games to eventually appear on the service.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It would be 12 out of 10 if I only own one console.
Sadly my backlog exists (and it only grows) and can't spare that much time for game pass.

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I've saved over $100 because the monthly subscription was $1 when I joined. I would say it has amazing value for the games they currently offer.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Not fully new to GP as I had it for a small window before selling my One S some time back.

But its still pretty much exactly what I thought back then. Its a nice collection of games for a cheap price. There's not much on it still that I'm just DYING to play but plenty for me to mess around with. Started up a new playthrough of Fallen Order which is one of my favorite games of last gen, and installed a few others. As more games release I'll probably enjoy it more. That said its still very much a positive.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really cool service with a bunch of good games, which is neat enough exactly what I expected.
I've mainly been playing Forza Horizon 4 so far but I do have a slight concerrrrrn that it could turn console games into mobile games. Not completely obviously, and I don't know what Forza was like before hand, but I don't like a big budget console game flashing up asking me to rate it. Nor do I appreciate it sometimes showing me unskippable ads for DLC packs. Nor it populating the map with a bunch of dlc content that isn't obviously DLC until you try to play it. I know games do that sort of thing regardless of Gamepass but I've not seen it anywhere near this bad and I don't really care if the game's "free". It's not free, and if the Gamepass model is as sustainable as they say I'd prefer they didn't make their really good games like Forza feel desperate. I don't think anyone would be very happy if Netflix started showing adverts in the middle of shows.

That clearly bugged me more than I thought it did… I don't know if any other games function like this in fairness it's just irritating because I'm really liking the game but it's slightly souring the experience.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There's more than I can go at for now, especially with how much room there is on the Series S. One criticism would be there's too much EA junk - old sports titles kinda pointless when newer versions are there too. Could have done with this machine 8 months ago when we had the proper lockdown and I felt trapped indoors with not much to go at, right now there's plenty of current games I can't just drp when I know most of the stuff I want to play on game pass will always be there (or at least for the next 2.9 years while I have it).

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
It's a really cool service with a bunch of good games, which is neat enough exactly what I expected.
I've mainly been playing Forza Horizon 4 so far but I do have a slight concerrrrrn that it could turn console games into mobile games. Not completely obviously, and I don't know what Forza was like before hand, but I don't like a big budget console game flashing up asking me to rate it. Nor do I appreciate it sometimes showing me unskippable ads for DLC packs. Nor it populating the map with a bunch of dlc content that isn't obviously DLC until you try to play it. I know games do that sort of thing regardless of Gamepass but I've not seen it anywhere near this bad and I don't really care if the game's "free". It's not free, and if the Gamepass model is as sustainable as they say I'd prefer they didn't make their really good games like Forza feel desperate. I don't think anyone would be very happy if Netflix started showing adverts in the middle of shows.

That clearly bugged me more than I thought it did… I don't know if any other games function like this in fairness it's just irritating because I'm really liking the game but it's slightly souring the experience.
That's just Forza

Forza, nba 2k , and call if duty are the only games I rember getting ad breaks for dlc.

I don't think it's related to Gamepass at all.

Last edited:

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
I'm so overwhelmed right now. I expected to be playing AC: Valhalla but I got hooked on to Drake Hollows in the game pass. This game is so insanely fun and I would have slept on it if it wasn't for Gamepass

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have an Xbox yet (trying to get an XSX but haven't been able to yet) and it's impressed the hell out of me between PC (Wasteland 3 and Gears Tactics) and cloud. It's really an incredible value.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
PC Gamepass since about a month ago or something like that. I'm actually positively overwhelmed. I have a couple of games installed that I reguarly play, with some more that I want to play... and games just keep coming. Recently Deep Rock Galactic was added and ugh, I really want to dig into that but I'm already playing some other stuff so yeah.

The value of this thing is incredible

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've downloaded some stuff I've played before, but also grabbed some titles that I've been like "eh, not feeling a purchase" that I've been completely blown away by, including:

Tetris Effect
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Ace Combat 7

Would have never purchased these if I'm being honest with myself, and I'm completely blown away by the quality of them. Hellblade in particular has been one of the most unique experiences I've ever had in a game. The service is delivering in the EXACT way I hoped it would.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
This might be a good place to ask, does the stacking Xbox gold and then converting to Gamepass Ultimate still work? I am thinking I'll eventually pickup an XSX, but I might go ahead and get a couple years of Gamepass a little cheaper if that is still an option.

Oct 27, 2017
Astonishing value.
Unbeatable by anyone.
Pair that with games like Forza Horizon and Ori getting upgrades to take advantage of Series X power and it's sublime.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
It was fine before and then they dumped the EA games on there and now it's too much. TOO MUCH!

it's fine really...

I wish the "All Game Pass Games" button still worked... it hasn't since the Series X launched so there's no way on the console on one screen anymore to see ALL THE VALUE IN ONE PLACE.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a good place to ask, does the stacking Xbox gold and then converting to Gamepass Ultimate still work? I am thinking I'll eventually pickup an XSX, but I might go ahead and get a couple years of Gamepass a little cheaper if that is still an option.
Yes, I used the following guide to do it.
www.pcworld.com

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate tip: Get 2 years of access for dirt cheap

Currently, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate costs $17 per month. But with this trick, you can get it at over 50 percent off for up to two years.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic. I went through and put about 45 games in my play later list when I got my Series X. I skipped the XB1 so I love that I can just go on Game Pass and download any of the exclusives that I missed.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Totally blown away to be honest and my first thought was how does this make any kind of financial sense for microsoft. The amount of money that I am going to save is truly mind boggling.