• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up a bone in ribeye steak. Need some tips for cooking. Should I put it in the oven or is it best to cook it I. A skillet.

Leaner

Oct 28, 2017
reverse sear as previously mentioned.

season with salt and pepper. i usually hit it with some olive oil as well.

remember to quickly sear! don't over cook the meat and you'll be in great shape.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Don't Sous vide. Don't do that.

Steak is very simple. Very easy. Hardest part is to know when not to fucking touch it.

Season it how you like. You can start with salt and pepper and a dash of seasoning salt. Or use sea salt. I personally use Saurer's Steak seasoning, especially when I'm grilling.
large_3ff7cf7d-1d8e-4d28-b91c-a4d27ccefd71.jpg

But you don't have to use that. Like I said, just use whatever you want. Don't overdo it though.

Next thing you do is heat up a pan on medium-high heat. Put a little olive oil or butter in the pan (not too much) and place your steaks on there. If the steak is less than half an inch, cook it for about 3 minutes per side and don't touch it. If it's close to an inch thick, cook it about 5 min per side. This will get you a medium-rarish steak.

When you take the steak off the pan, leave it on a cutting board or plate and don't touch it. Don't poke it, don't cut it, don't flip it. The steak is still cooking so leave it alone for about 5 min and it's ready. Throw some butter on top and a baked potato and you're good to go.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rub that bad boy down with a generous helping of Himalayan salt and black pepper on each side and reverse sear it.

Nov 7, 2017
1: get a good thermometer
2: season the shit out of it
3: sear it 1 min on each side
4: put in oven until 130 degrees
5: rest for 10 mins
6: eat

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to take a picture of it but it got attacked by people after I took it out to cut. Guess it was good. I overcooked it just a bit. I'll know newt time to take it out a bit sooner

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
man don't listen to these fools and cook your steak in an oven.

salt + pepper on steak, cast iron pan, super high heat, a little veggie oil, toss that steak in, sear both sides and get a nice crust. Then lower the heat and throw in a good gob of butter and baste that motherfucker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used my sous vide after the first time. Something weird it does to the texture of the meat

Are you searing the meat in a scalding hot pan with a little oil after taking it out of the bath? You have to have a good sear to truly unlock the wonder of sous vide. Eating it straight out of the bag will make your meat taste pretty rubbery/mooshy for everything but fish.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have an immersion circulator but honestly unless you've got a super thick cut, it's it's not necessary for steaks.

Sous Vide is ideal for turning cheap or tough cuts of meat into delicious steak-like cuts over days of cooking. If you've already got a good, tender, well marbled steak then sous vide's usefulness is limited.

If you've got a chuck roast, sous vide that bitch for 48 hours and it will be incredible.

But If you've got a great ribeye that's less than 1.5 inches thick, just cook it like a normal steak and it will be incredible.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
(Threads like these remind me that not everyone else is a professional chef, with all the reverse-sear and sous vide recommendations.)

I like to heavily dust mine in salt and pepper, give it a hard sear on each side in a skillet; leave it in the broiler for like 5 minutes; then pull it out, throw some butter, garlic, and rosemary in that hot pan, and baste it to finish.

Mmmm, I prefer mine a little crustier on top, but that shit looks good.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Are you searing the meat in a scalding hot pan with a little oil after taking it out of the bath? You have to have a good sear to truly unlock the wonder of sous vide. Eating it straight out of the bag will make your meat taste pretty rubbery/mooshy for everything but fish.

Nah, definitely seared it. I don't remember what the texture was like, but it didn't feel like a proper steak in my mouth.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to take a picture of it but it got attacked by people after I took it out to cut. Guess it was good. I overcooked it just a bit. I'll know newt time to take it out a bit sooner

Good job! A little over cooked is no big deal.

Tip for getting better: feel your steak with your finger next time when you think it's done. You'll start to get a feel for the firmness of the steak once it's at your desired temp. Just takes practice. Only slight caveat is that the firmness varies depending on the cut.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, definitely seared it. I don't remember what the texture was like, but it didn't feel like a proper steak in my mouth.

What temp did you do and how long? How thick was the steak. If you don't leave it in too long the texture should be perfect.

The best steak I ever made was a tomahawk ribeye. 3 inches thick. Slathered it in butter and cooked it sous vide for 2.5 hours. Patted it dry and finished it on a screaming hot grill. The steak was infused with butter flavour. It was rich and amazing.

Sous vide only really shines with thick (2" plus) cuts. It takes the guesswork out of cooking such a massive piece of meat. With my usual 1" cuts, I don't bother with sous vide though...easy enough to cook and sous vide doesn't bring much to the table.

Oct 25, 2017
What temp did you do and how long? How thick was the steak. If you don't leave it in too long the texture should be perfect.

The best steak I ever made was a tomahawk ribeye. 3 inches thick. Slathered it in butter and cooked it sous vide for 2.5 hours. Patted it dry and finished it on a screaming hot grill. The steak was infused with butter flavour. It was rich and amazing.

Sous vide only really shines with thick (2" plus) cuts. It takes the guesswork out of cooking such a massive piece of meat. With my usual 1" cuts, I don't bother with sous vide though...easy enough to cook and sous vide doesn't bring much to the table.

Yeah, all I ever buy are Costco steaks and they're always thick as sin.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus at the sous vide people. At least reverse sear is feasible. But here's the most foolproof method. Less chance of error than reverse sear but importantly - recoverable.

OP if you have a good oven safe pan (if it's all metal you're good even if non stick or cheap) you're gonna need that. A little high smoke point (peanut) oil is OK but just a sheen.

Take steak out of fridge and let come up closer to room temperature but honestly ten minutes is fine. Pat dry with paper towel.

At about the same time preHeat oven to 500 degrees.

Heat pan to pretty dang hot on the grill/stove - water droplets should dance energetically and evaporate rapidly. HOT.

Salt and pepper both sides of steak.

Sear on one side for two minutes. Flip. It should have a nice chocolate brown caramelization. Sear other side for two minutes.

Put entire pan immediately in 500 degree oven for two minutes.

With oven mitt -- remove pan from oven, and (this is crucial) immediately place steak(s) on a plate to rest for about five minutes. - at this point you can choose to place a small pat of butter on the steak (immediately after removal from oven) and let it melt over that five minute resting period. But do NOT skip resting.

Eat.

If you want it cooked more than medium rare then add one minute to OVEN time until you figure out (steak by steak) your preferred doneness.

Some people think pepper burns on the sear but they are mad. It's also legal to eat with steak sauce if you like it.

Feb 10, 2018
Reverse sear is weird.

Season with salt and pepper, get your pan with olive oil in so hot it starts to smoke, place your steak in and don't touch it for a few mins then flip it add a garlic clove which smashed with your fist on the work top, thyme and butter and bast the steak with butter and rub the garlic and thyme all over it when blood starts to peirce the surface of the meat take the pan off the heat and let it rest for 5 mins. And you will have a perfect steak.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Jesus at the sous vide people. At least reverse sear is feasible. But here's the most foolproof method. Less chance of error than reverse sear but importantly - recoverable.

While sous vide isn't necessary for a normal steak, it's actually easily the most foolproof.

You literally can't overcook your steak if you cook it sous vide. The worst you can do is make it more tender than you would want in a steak.. ooh the horror, it's too tender.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
While sous vide isn't necessary for a normal steak, it's actually easily the most foolproof.

You literally can't overcook your steak if you cook it sous vide. The worst you can do is make it more tender than you would want in a steak.. ooh the horror, it's too tender.

Less a critique about sous vide, more about how it's a bit of a ridiculous suggestion for someone whose cooking a steak for the first time that day. Someone asks me how to chop a salad for their first dinner party that night I'm not going to recommend they julienne cut it, no matter how much better the end result might be.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He. Doesn't. Have. A. Circulator. He's. Never. Cooked. A. Steak.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
reverse sear is great but sous vide makes the same fundamental process a lot less prone to error. It is a fantastic investment. I sous vide ribeyes at 130 for about 2 hours, dry and season with salt and pepper, get the skillet to about 450-500 degrees (verifying with an infrared thermometer gun) before throwing on a little bit of tallow, and sear both sides no more than a minute each. Then I just kinda flip the steak around its sides for like 15 seconds per to get the fat/edges crisped up. Rest for 10 minutes, done. The great thing about sous vide is you can do it overnight. It has seriously changed the way I look at home cooking vs. restaurant. No more absolutely awful, rubbery, tough steaks.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
reverse sear is great but sous vide makes the same fundamental process a lot less prone to error. It is a fantastic investment. I sous vide ribeyes at 130 for about 2 hours, dry and season with salt and pepper, get the skillet to about 450-500 degrees (verifying with an infrared thermometer gun) before throwing on a little bit of tallow, and sear both sides no more than a minute each. Then I just kinda flip the steak around its sides for like 15 seconds per to get the fat/edges crisped up. Rest for 10 minutes, done. The great thing about sous vide is you can do it overnight. It has seriously changed the way I look at home cooking vs. restaurant. No more absolutely awful, rubbery, tough steaks.
Let the OP cook their first steak ever and then start suggesting purchases.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Season with salt and pepper. Medium-high heat, oil and 3 minutes on each side (or more, depending on the thickness of your steak). I like to add some butter halfway through and baste the steak with leftover oil + crushed garlic. Let it rest for a few minute before eating.