• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"Atlantis" is gonna be Talocan, aka Tlālōcān, an Aztec paradise.

View: https://twitter.com/NamorNews/status/1551624388537196544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1551624388537196544%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fw7x27h%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

not sure if posted, but first I heard of it.

Also while I'm here:
5s3ph67u9fd91.jpg

(Hair likely not final, as is often the case with first look minifigs)

I love her!

Yeah, this is basically what I figured. What legend referred to as Atlantis will be called something else by the natives.

There was never an issue here.

If the term Atlantis is ever mentioned at all, it'll just be as a metaphor.

Reimagining Namor and his civilization as mesoamerican is dope for representation and dope aesthetically.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what I figured. What legend referred to as Atlantis will be called something else by the natives.

Reimagining Namor and his civilization as mesoamerican is dope for representation and dope aesthetically.
Yea, this. I'm sure when we get exposition, someone will mention that it's sometimes referred to as the lost city of Atlantis

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I think recently it's a combination of bipolar by his hybridness and xavier attempting to help him by (i think accidentally) creating a remnant of ww2 buddy that died that intending to help with his ptsd from ww2

Still an ass but was to explain his mood swings

Well, I've actually been looking up WW2 era comics, specifically the one referenced in Marvels where New York gets flooded. Being a Golden Age comic, things are a bit loose and wild, but just a bit before he's a hero, fighting Nazi zombies (Nazombies) and in the next issue he flips over to being a villain due a combination of Atlanteans being caught in the crossfire of WW2 and having an advisor that is goading him onto it. Namor actually was flooding several other countries, and envisioned himself as Napoleon.

Yn1Dcva.png

He flips back to being good however after his warmongering endangers Toro, the Human Torch's sidekick, though he evidently didn't care about any of the other children he was drowning at the time.

So even with a retcon about PTSD, Namor already had issues.

Also, found this panel in the issue before, which was pretty funny.

tHeNEDH.png

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Here's a bunch of legos, I'm curious if anyone can actually figure out which Panther this is :D

lbk0scl2lxd91.jpg

Other ones:
l63vscl2lxd91.jpg

ujm9icl2lxd91.jpg
T'Challa, that's the lab scene from the first movie, the line is black Panther not Wakanda forever so it's a mix, there's one additional set that hasn't leaked

That's cool, shows their skin gets deoxygenated on the surface

Oct 25, 2017

cool. love tying it more into aztec mythology.
I see people online grumbling about it not being atlantis anymore but I don't see the problem. It's not even necessarily incompatible with atlantis. Talocan can be its residents' own name for it, while Atlantis may be "what the greeks called it in legend" or something along those lines. Even in real life, a real normal country isn't necessarily called the same thing in different regions. Japan's name is actually Nihon. Talocan is cool.

Interesting reading more about aztec mythology: As a destination in the Afterlife, Tlālōcān was reserved for those who had drowned or had otherwise been killed by manifestations of water, such as by flood, by diseases associated with water, or in storms. Shamanic entry into Tlālōcān, always achieved during dreams and often with the objective of curing a patient, is via underground waterways, commonly a whirlpool.

Last edited:

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Usually by just outsmarting him.

Folks don't understand just how strong Namor is. He's Hulk levels under the water (and Thing levels on dry land).

I doubt he's going to be that powerful, the MCU has notably nerfed all the heroes' abilities when compared to their comic book counterparts. I still expect him to be powerful since he needs to be to survive the ocean depths, but not hulk level.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Amazing how much of a difference actual colour grading makes. This blows everything else in the MCU out the water visuals wise.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The more I see of Namor and Talocan the better it looks. I cannot wait to watch this dude punch someone into next week!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I doubt he's going to be that powerful, the MCU has notably nerfed all the heroes' abilities when compared to their comic book counterparts. I still expect him to be powerful since he needs to be to survive the ocean depths, but not hulk level.
I hear this get said, but I'd argue they made most of them ALOT stronger than their comic counterparts.

Captain Marvel and Captain America (Steve Rogers) come to mind immediately.

The only people who got any sort of nerf was Hulk (which is indeed bullshit) and Drax, in my opinion.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I hear this get said, but I'd argue they made most of them ALOT stronger than their comic counterparts.

The only people who got any sort of nerf was Hulk (which is indeed bullshit) and Drax, in my opinion.
Captain Marvel is more of a case of being the only who didn't get a nerf lol

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017

Captain Marvel is more of a case of being the only who didn't get a nerf lol

This, and as for Cap I would say he's on par for his comic self as well. It's just compared to how everyone else got nerfed the ones that didn't feel like they got a buff.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mean fair but Cap can't normally pull a helicopter down with one arm like he did in Winter Soldier.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean fair but Cap can't normally pull a helicopter down with one arm like he did in Winter Soldier.

He can, actually. 616 comic book cap pulls stuff like that off all the time.

Fun fact: if anything MCU cap got hit with the nerf bat. 616 cap is immortal due to the serum and doesn't age. 616 cap is also such an insane H2H combatant he debatably holds the title of best on the planet.

MCU cap is good but not "knocking out Shang Chi in a single hit at 80 years old with no super soldier serum" good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
He can, actually. 616 comic book cap pulls stuff like that off all the time.

Fun fact: if anything MCU cap got hit with the nerf bat. 616 cap is immortal due to the serum and doesn't age.
The serum boosted by mysterious unknown normally lethal herbs used by Viper(the the first one) to attempt to poison him…. Which oddly lines up with another herb in the comics that can boost or kill people

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how much of a difference actual colour grading makes. This blows everything else in the MCU out the water visuals wise.

That's part of it yeah. But the overall cinematography in the trailer has been upgraded, going above the first film's and the rest of what the MCU puts out.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The serum boosted by mysterious unknown normally lethal herbs used by Viper(the the first one) to attempt to poison him…. Which oddly lines up with another herb in the comics that can boost or kill people

No boosting involved. 616 cap lost the serum prior to Secret Wars- had it drained from his body completely.

It was restored by a cosmic cube right before Secret Empire, so 616 cap's serum is currently as pristine as it was during WW2.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
cool. love tying it more into aztec mythology.
I see people online grumbling about it not being atlantis anymore but I don't see the problem. It's not even necessarily incompatible with atlantis. Talocan can be its residents' own name for it, while Atlantis may be "what the greeks called it in legend" or something along those lines. Even in real life, a real normal country isn't necessarily called the same thing in different regions. Japan's name is actually Nihon. Talocan is cool.

Interesting reading more about aztec mythology: As a destination in the Afterlife, Tlālōcān was reserved for those who had drowned or had otherwise been killed by manifestations of water, such as by flood, by diseases associated with water, or in storms. Shamanic entry into Tlālōcān, always achieved during dreams and often with the objective of curing a patient, is via underground waterways, commonly a whirlpool.

or maybe it should just be Tolacan 🤷‍♂️

no need to mention atlantis at all

(maybe im just being greedy)

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
or maybe it should just be Tolacan 🤷‍♂️

no need to mention atlantis at all

(maybe im just being greedy)
Hell as a long time Namor fan, I kinda want this to cross over to the comics.

When I used to RP Namor on a MUSH I used to say things like "Atlantis is your word for it." when characters would ask.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You really don't think the idiot US Government(and Ross) won't go oh whaaaa water people in a civilization in the Atlantic?! Atlantis!

well of course, thats why i said im being greedy

Hell as a long time Namor fan, I kinda want this to cross over to the comics.

When I used to RP Namor on a MUSH I used to say things like "Atlantis is your word for it." when characters would ask.

marvel can kill two birds with one stone indeed.

Feb 16, 2022
Nah, it's not just color grading--the first BP movie had good colors(of course it's even better here). It's the whole ass cinematography that got a huge glow up. There are lenses and angles here that weren't used in the first BP.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is basically what I figured. What legend referred to as Atlantis will be called something else by the natives.

Yeah, the visuals for that civilization in the trailer look so freaking cool. It's a great change.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
a few days late, but on the last episode of Fatman Beyond, they did an interview with the guy who cut this trailer. Thought it was pretty interesting, seems he and his team have been putting out banger trailers for a long time now, leading to him being hired by Disney. Did a ton of other trailers, including the first black panther trailer

View: https://youtu.be/pGZNBSmY2wo?t=4766