• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My point is not that they aren't getting a new Black Panther that isn't 100% T'Challa's son. It's that despite how much people try to hashtag this into existence, there is no #ReleaseTheRecastTChallaCut willing a change of hearts at Marvel Studios into existence. They aren't recasting T'Challa after having a funeral for him. If we ever get to a new Black Panther that represents T'Challa and what he stands for, the viable way to do so is having his heir taking over. It might take years, but if they do go with T'Challa and Nakia having a child, that's where I think we are heading.

I agree with the bolded.

But I have no idea where you're getting that first sentence from.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I agree with the bolded.

But I have no idea where you're getting that first sentence from.
My point is that I do think that the rumors are true, we are getting T'Challa's son introduced in this film and that he will become the new Black Panther eventually. How we will get there I don't know, but I trust them to make it work. Whatever happens, I don't see an alternate universe T'Challa or a recast happening after Secret Wars. We don't really know when the next Black Panther film will come. I imagine that ten years after the first one would be symbolic, and enough time for a new Black Panther to rise, since we are far from Phase 6 let alone 7 yet.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I've never even heard that rumor. Please tell me you're not just openly discussing leaks about the film.
I don't read or follow leaks, this has been openly rumored on social media based on the trailer itself. I do see a lot of stuff here been discussed, but I really don't go to Marvel leaks and stuff like that, all of this is based on speculation from the trailer itself. I won't even read what people talk with spoiler tags around here, so no this isn't about film leaks, this is about the trailer itself:

View: https://twitter.com/sifusudi/status/1551610573883834369?s=21&t=mOYbW-BkC_7l34Z1EOVTEA

Edit: I'm btw, I'm very precious about spoilers too, but if we are getting to the point that we can't discuss what has been widely discussed on social media since Chadwick's passing and most of all content that we could literally extrapolate from a teaser trailer (I'm so sensitive with spoilers that I usually don't even watch anything other than a teaser and maybe a first trailer), then it's a tad too much even for me. If not discussing theories, let me know. I am just saying that based on this trailer, there is no way that T'CHalla is recast and there is obvious outs to have his legacy to keep going that dates back to his first film, but if this spoils someone else's fun, I dont want to stand in the way.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't read or follow leaks, this has been openly rumored on social media based on the trailer itself. I do see a lot of stuff here been discussed, but I really don't go to Marvel leaks and stuff like that, all of this is based on speculation from the trailer itself. I won't even read what people talk with spoiler tags around here, so no this isn't about film leaks, this is about the trailer itself:

View: https://twitter.com/sifusudi/status/1551610573883834369?s=21&t=mOYbW-BkC_7l34Z1EOVTEA

This is the basis of the speculation in that thread? Okoye wouldn't save a random kid, only the crown prince? Lol

View: https://twitter.com/sifusudi/status/1551610581681045504

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
This is the basis of the speculation in that thread? Okoye wouldn't save a random kid, only the crown prince? Lol

View: https://twitter.com/sifusudi/status/1551610581681045504

This is just an example. You will find people talking and theorizing about having a child with Nakia after the blip for almost two years now. But sure, my speculation is based on this specific twitter thread I guess, it's not like this isn't one of the biggest points of contention when it comes to this film since Chadwick passed away or anything.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is just an example. You will find people talking and theorizing about having a child with Nakia after the blip for almost two years now. But sure, my speculation is based on this specific thread I guess.
I'm just talking about the basis of the Twitter user's speculation. If you have other speculation your personal speculation is based on in addition to it then fair enough. I'm just saying that Twitter user's "strongest evidence" is not very compelling and also it's kind of funny to me because I'm imagining Okoye just letting a random child she could save get swept away by a flood because they aren't part of the royal family.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I'm just talking about the basis of the Twitter user's speculation. If you have other speculation your personal speculation is based on in addition to it then fair enough. I'm just saying that Twitter user's "strongest evidence" is not very compelling and also it's kind of funny to me because I'm imagining Okoye just letting a random child she could save get swept away by a flood because they aren't part of the royal family.
There are a lot on this teaser trailer that gives the idea of death, birth, legacy and family will be major themes in the film. Trailer starts with Nakia alone in the beach and the obvious implication that T'Challa is gone, transitions to Namor's literal birth underwater, Ramonda talking about her sacrifice and her loved ones, Wakanda celebrating and grieving the loss of T'Challa. I kinda ignored the kid that Okoye saves at first, but that Twitter thread made me think that they might have a point. Namor had his house and likely parents killed with fire, so that reflecting as a parallel to a potential T'Challa's heir facing the flood of his kingdom and people seems poignant to me, and one good reason why that scene might mean more than what it looks.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
FYZdtujUUAApxl0.jpg

Love this shot from the trailer.
That megalodon jaw throne is badass.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
so do these brehs turn blue when they leave the water? its looking like thats the case (except for Namor). and then you see their natural skin color within the water.

kinda wild that we got blue water people and then blue water aliens in the biggest blockbusters of the rest of the year

Sep 2, 2018
A young Black Panther (T'Challa's son) would match well with the rest of the Young Avengers that the MCU has already set up. I think they made the right the decision for the long term not recasting, but we won't know that until 5-10 years from now.

Sep 2, 2018
so do these brehs turn blue when they leave the water? its looking like thats the case (except for Namor). and then you see their natural skin color within the water.

kinda wild that we got blue water people and then blue water aliens in the biggest blockbusters of the year.
Well, the Na'vi actually got some traits from Marvel's Atlanteans, the blue skin being one of them.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
This is just an example. You will find people talking and theorizing about having a child with Nakia after the blip for almost two years now. But sure, my speculation is based on this specific twitter thread I guess, it's not like this isn't one of the biggest points of contention when it comes to this film since Chadwick passed away or anything.

I don't think the idea of son is farfetch, the dude's reasoning is just stupid.

"A superhero wouldn't save a random kid"

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how people can have this take. Is it pure impatience or just fear?

T'challa is 100% not "vaulted or "gone forever" but this version is. As much as people joke about all MCU movies being the same these movies aren't made by an algorithm. People make these movies and Ryan Coogler/cast/crew wanted to take a second to mourn the passing of someone important in their live. Characters are important but so are the actors that portray them. As a black person Chadwick was just a significant figure in my life outside of being in comic book movies. Give the people who do care a moment to grieve. This is just one movie in a sea of MCU movies.

The multiverse is a thing now. A version of T'challa will be around in the future so stop panicing just because Feige isn't explaining every plan in detail.
This is basically how I feel. We lost an actual person in a very tragic way. He may not have died on set or in the middle of filming a movie, but the timing would have sucked for the production and the people making it regardless.

I feel that not doing a recast was not a perfect solution, but was the best solution given the circumstances.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting people have one movie to grieve the loss of Boseman and having seen the trailer even as someone who was against recasting right away and believed it would be done in a respectful way to not only honor Boseman, I was still not prepared for how hard it would hit me. Making a movie can create a powerful moment to mourn and grieve his death but also is a way to celebrate life and use art in a way that creates both a cathartic coping mechanism for everyone affected by the loss of Boseman or for anyone who has ever experienced loss, but for the artists (the actors, the crew, the director, etc.) but channel that pain into the art, to help each other process the experience threw their art and say something about the human condition, and isn't that the greater purpose of art, of storytelling? I can already tell they didn't let this opportunity pass by. This wasn't just another gig. They created something beautiful here and I'm still reeling days later by how hard just the teaser trailer hits me.

I understand people feel differently about the loss of T'Challa since that is a decision made by people. It's something that we can control, but maybe in the calculus of this situation, the more compassionate, the less cynical move is to let a life be more important than a character in this instance; to let humanity and art shine during a dark time; to recognize that sometimes a loss isn't something that makes us weaker, but something fortifies us and makes us stronger through the connections we all have to one another, not just by the hardening of our souls to protect ourselves from being hurt. This was a decision made out of love, and the trailer has only made that more apparent to me.

I'm not gonna beat people over the head with how I feel if they disagree with me, but I've really been trying my best to respect others' feelings in this situation while I so strongly disagree. But I think I can echo the same sentiment, let people have this one movie.

I do think we can revisit the idea of recasting later down the line, and in fact, I think that there is an even better solution than bringing back T'Challa through the multiverse by having him be resurrected from Necropolis, and maybe on paper that seems a bit tricky or tasteless, but I believe it's something that has happened in the comics and would be something that could tie T'Challa to a storyline in the comics of him becoming King of the Dead and having more powers that people have wanted to see for a while now. It's a unique creative way to bring back the character that doesn't feel to me like it would cheapen things. It would actually make for a meaningful development of the character, of the same T'Challa we know with the same relationships he once had, and of a literal rebirth of the character. I don't know if they'd be able to execute this in a way that people would be okay with and wouldn't offend people, but I think this may be a solution for how to bring back the character.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those that know comics, if Namor is so powerful/petty, how do they usually get him to fuck off?

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
I speculated in an old Black Panther thread about Tchalla and Nakia having a son too a while ago (and I avoid spoilers like the plague). Don't think it's too far fetched that something like that would happen. To me it's the obvious way to go with them also setting up Young Avengers left and right...

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Can only Namor breathe above water? Is that why the others are wearing a mask of water on their face above ground?

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Fair enough. I apologize if I sounded like I was dogpiling. I was just saying that I think popular culture has polluted how we picture Atlantis but it might not be so cut and dry based on Plato's intentions. Kind of like how if someone discovered the works of GRRM a thousand years from now they would assume Westeros has cheeseburgers and baseball.

Thanks, I was a bit worried I was getting taken up the wrong way, but now I'm imagining Ned Stark getting beheaded because he is arguing about why the World Series is solely located in Westeros

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I think that's the case, there's this shot of Namora too:
FYZV1YCX0AE5sT6.jpg
Honestly that's a really solid concept

But he's not the sharpest tool in the shed? Or are the ones facing him that much smarter?
Namor is arrogant. It's not the best dumb more that he'll overlook things that he views beneath him. Dr Doom outmaneuvered him multiple times to get his cooperation. Usually via blackmail. He also gets very focused in battle
Can only Namor breathe above water? Is that why the others are wearing a mask of water on their face above ground?
Yeah, like Atlanteans are fine for a couple minutes or a short bit of time but then they have trouble breathing and losing strength. Namor has no issues due to his human side and mutant factor, but he isn't at full strength the longer he's away from water(but it still takes a couple hours and he's still on the level of thing or Spidey Vs when he's at full strength he can go toe to toe with a mildly angry hulk)

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed the iron heart on the 40th rewatch of the trailer. Is that girl the Ironheart character? Cool throwback of Tony when he first made his suit.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that ain't it. Get used to it, they are introducing T'Challa's son as the future Black Panther. If that comes in fruition before Secret Wars or in 2028 with a Black Panther sequel I do not know, but it's clear that's the path they are going with, and I trust Ryan Coogler to make it work.
Telling Black people excited for a well represented MC hero to get used to having to wait and sit our turn. Thanks!

Seriously? We waited this long and your only retort is to tell us to wait another decade. I don't know how you can't see how ridiculous that sounds. That's not nearly as smart of a comeback as you seem to think it is...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as people joke about all MCU movies being the same these movies aren't made by an algorithm.

That's where I had a good laugh, we are talking about Disney, with the millions invested in each project you better believe the executives and their accounting teams have the final say in all the creative. THere's a reason MCU movies almost all have identical layouts

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I don't think a trailer means a movie is going to be good or bad but…..holy shit is that an awesome trailer. Loved the first so hoping this one is awesome as well.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That's where I had a good laugh, we are talking about Disney, with the millions invested in each project you better believe the executives and their accounting teams have the final say in all the creative. THere's a reason MCU movies almost all have identical layouts
Bruh. There's a difference between a studio having a house style, doing pre viz on action set pieces, executives giving notes and an actual algorithm making the entire movie. That is how people are treating this situation. As if Coogler isn't a person and he could just be replaced as director and we would get the same exact end product.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
But he's not the sharpest tool in the shed? Or are the ones facing him that much smarter?

Namor's not dumb, but he's got real bad mood swings you could say, and he's got anger issues at times.

I'm not sure if its been retconned or not, but Namor had a thing where the more time he spent only in water, or only on land, the more mentally unstable he'd become. I think generally he'd get more violent and irritable the more he just stayed in either, so , like, if he'd been underwater too long and decided to raise an army, slapping him around on the surface would get it out of his system and he'd get a more level head.

It's actually kind of startling how many times Namor gets the green light to just be a hero again after all the things he's pulled over 80 or so years.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Namor's not dumb, but he's got real bad mood swings you could say, and he's got anger issues at times.

I'm not sure if its been retconned or not, but Namor had a thing where the more time he spent only in water, or only on land, the more mentally unstable he'd become. I think generally he'd get more violent and irritable the more he just stayed in either, so , like, if he'd been underwater too long and decided to raise an army, slapping him around on the surface would get it out of his system and he'd get a more level head.

It's actually kind of startling how many times Namor gets the green light to just be a hero again after all the things he's pulled over 80 or so years.
Trying to wipe New York off the map? Invading the eastern seaboard? Those schemes with Doom? The stuff with Illuminati? Claiming the oceans as his domain and taking anything that violated that including nukes(and nearly murdering Stingray)? The straight up genocide of wakanda(ok that one can be blamed on the Pheonix force somewhat)?

Yeah he's pulled shit that would've gotten most characters dragged through the mud till kingdom come. Albeit wasn't he straight up killed over it and didn't resurrect for a year or so? Plus he's on good terms with mutant kind so I wouldn't be surprised if Xavier wiped some memories to keep Namor acting freely

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Last edited:

Themis

Mar 10, 2020
Can't stop watching this trailer. Seen it about 10 times already.

Can't actually believe it's an MCU film based off that trailer but just like with Black Panther, Coogler don't miss even when constrained to the limits of the MCU.

Really hope this eclipses Black Panther's 700m domestic haul and isn't slept on WW like the first one was.
I've seen it about 0 times.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"Atlantis" is gonna be Talocan, aka Tlālōcān, an Aztec paradise.

View: https://twitter.com/NamorNews/status/1551624388537196544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1551624388537196544%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fw7x27h%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

not sure if posted, but first I heard of it.

Also while I'm here:
5s3ph67u9fd91.jpg

(Hair likely not final, as is often the case with first look minifigs)

I love her!

Disney trying to hide who will be the new Black Panther, but we probably gonna know who from toys leak, right? Unless Disney go as far as not making the new Black Panther toys?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I think recently it's a combination of bipolar by his hybridness and xavier attempting to help him by (i think accidentally) creating a remnant of ww2 buddy that died that intending to help with his ptsd from ww2

Still an ass but was to explain his mood swings

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to wipe New York off the map? Invading the eastern seaboard? Those schemes with Doom? The stuff with Illuminati? Claiming the oceans as his domain and taking anything that violated that including nukes(and nearly murdering Stingray)? The straight up genocide of wakanda(ok that one can be blamed on the Pheonix force somewhat)?

Yeah he's pulled shit that would've gotten most characters dragged through the mud till kingdom come. Albeit wasn't he straight up killed over it and didn't resurrect for a year or so? Plus he's on good terms with mutant kind so I wouldn't be surprised if Xavier wiped some memories to keep Namor acting freely
Funny thing the reason Namor is that way is because of a retcon of Xavier during the younger days trying to help a traumatized Namor (he also became close to a soldier who died and spent time with his family) and ended up making him worse