• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shots like these have been done before, even in other Marvel films. There's literally a shot of Peter looking at a similar mural of Iron Man in FFH.

I'm not discounting that it's a decent trailer, but I don't agree that's its this incredible achievement. Maybe this is just the bar where Marvel films are at now when we laud competent film making.
Something being done before doesn't make it "mid." What kind of logic is that? After a century of cinema that's inevitable to some extent. Still doesn't take away from what another project achieves. Who arbitrarily made the rule that only one movie per series can have standout cinematography? The mural shot is only one of the three images I posted as examples so nice job ignoring the others (not to mention screens I didn't use as examples).

You also conveniently ignored two of the three points I mentioned. Does "every other Marvel film" incorporate people of color like this? BP did it as well, but doesn't mean the medium can't be celebrated when done well again. That's a major part of why this trailer stands out. There's a lot of emotional value that's intrinsic to the race of the actors as much as you want to ignore it. Same with the music choice and how the two songs mix together on top of their impact in the Black community.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I wasn't going to see this in theaters. Was going to wait for Disney + but the trailer sold me on day one best screen possible.

This will be the last marvel movie I see in a theater until FF

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I've actually roleplayed Namor on both a forum RP and MUSH.

One time a "Marvel Highschool" RP had a part where it became a Disney musical becasue of the Scarlet Witch changed reality. And I wrote an entire song called "The Imperious Rex"

Another time in a game where all cape comics were merged into a single reality, my Namor stared down Superman with a smirk and even said to him "Hit me Kryptonian. I dare you. See how that works out for you."

Suffice to say, Namor is one of my favorite characters of all time.

Nov 7, 2017
Shots like these have been done before, even in other Marvel films. There's literally a shot of Peter looking at a similar mural of Iron Man in FFH.

I'm not discounting that it's a decent trailer, but I don't agree that's its this incredible achievement. Maybe this is just the bar where Marvel films are at now when we laud competent film making.
I know you are def entitled to your opinion just know that you are most likely in the very small minority here

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people arguing about how Atlantis (the city in which the initial source was "I made it the fuck up", and every other explanation over the millenia for it also being from people whose source was "it came to me in a dream") should be Greek instead of Mesoamerican should take a momentary pause from posting and consider how that looks to an outside viewer.

Nov 7, 2017
I feel like people arguing about how Atlantis (the city in which the initial source was "I made it the fuck up", and every other explanation over the millenia for it also being from people whose source was "it came to me in a dream") should be Greek instead of Mesoamerican should take a momentary pause from posting and consider how that looks to an outside viewer.
Yea right so I guess these posters don't want Latino representation in this movie?

If I was Coogler and I got asked this question I would just say "we did that because we wanted to. Why? Because it's my movie fuck you"

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
If Plato invented it, surely it's primary association is with Greece?

Plato invented it to be not-Greek though. As it pertains to Plato, it's a made up island in the middle of Atlantic Ocean somewhere. It makes no sense to assume that the inhabitants would have adopted Greek culture.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Plato invented it to be not-Greek though. As it pertains to Plato, it's a made up island in the middle of Atlantic Ocean somewhere. It makes no sense to assume that the inhabitants would have adopted Greek culture.

Yeah, but it was invented by a Greek, so it's associated with Greece as a result. I'm not saying they would have Greek culture (because they don't actually exist, the Atlantians that is, not the Greeks), just that it is associated with Greece.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The body language of Letitia Wright in this video is interesting to watch. She looks so uncomfortable. And if she is still anti-vax & anti-trans (Which she probably is, given that there was never any walk-back) then she should absolutely feel uncomfortable, of course. But still, it's wild to me that she's out there, given everything that's happened.

Though it's also possible that a lot of it can be chalked up to being up on that stage without Chadwick. Who knows.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it was invented by a Greek, so it's associated with Greece as a result. I'm not saying they would have Greek culture (because they don't actually exist, the Atlantians that is, not the Greeks), just that it is associated with Greece.

The association that Atlantis would have with Greece is that a Greek writer wrote a story about the Atlantans fighting all of the Mediterranean nations, and ultimately being driven back into the Atlantic by the Athenians.

So when writing fiction involving Atlantis, the writers had a blank check as far as cultural inspiration goes. They chose Aztec because it's cool and largely untapped, so why not!

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
I don't think any genuine fans of the first want it to fail, but finding out how problematic Leticia is kinda sucks. It's like having a plate of spaghetti with 8 meatballs, and you are starving and going to eat everything on your plate. But then a meatball falls on the ground. Some are willing to apply the 5 second rule and eat that mother fucker, but most wouldn't and will finish the meal wanting because we lost a meatball we wanted to eat. We will still enjoy the meal but will think about what could've been.
🤣 🤣 I love this explanation.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What's with these weird sorta-racist-but-not-provably-racist takes in MCU threads lol. First I read about Kang's nose, now I read about the "wrong" heritage for a made up culture, with absolutely no reason but to have an argument. I'm almost afraid to catch up on other threads :D

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool. Also leagues ahead of all the other MCU movies visually which have been looking especially bad as of late.

Still kinda skeptical about the film here without TChalla but will defo check it out in theaters.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looks pretty cool. Also leagues ahead of all the other MCU movies visually which have been looking especially bad as of late.

c4ea8f4adc72d52b2eb71921a74023548a37948c.gifv

celestial-eternals.gif

LameGenerousCollardlizard-max-1mb.gif

I will not let this slander fly! You may opinionize how Eternals is boring (it's not!) but don't you ever say it LOOKS boring!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The association that Atlantis would have with Greece is that a Greek writer wrote a story about the Atlantans fighting all of the Mediterranean nations, and ultimately being driven back into the Atlantic by the Athenians.

So when writing fiction involving Atlantis, the writers had a blank check as far as cultural inspiration goes. They chose Aztec because it's cool and largely untapped, so why not!

what i dont get is why are people focusing on the atlantean side of the problem

i dont care about Atlantis

i care about the mexican aesthetics being used in something that no one ever has made the connection to.

"it looks cool"

of course it looks cool it has been looking cool for thousands of years. why do they need to apply it to something that has NOTHING to do with it?

now, if in the movie, it is not actually Atlantis, but an ancestral mexican city or something, that would be cool

but Atlantis???

nah

Nov 7, 2017

i care about the mexican aesthetics being used in something that no one ever has made the connection to.

"it looks cool"

of course it looks cool it has been looking cool for thousands of years. why do they need to apply it to something that has NOTHING to do with it?

now, if in the movie, it is not actually Atlantis, but an ancestral mexican city or something, that would be cool

but Atlantis???

nah
But I don't get the outrage? Sure they are using Aztec/Mayan imagery for Atlantis but they are casting Mexican actors it's not like white people cosplaying as Mayans in Atlantis?

Even Tenoch Huerta himself says he's proud of being part of this due to the implications of inclusion

Nov 7, 2017
there is no outrage

im just saying it would be more cool to actually have a mexican wakanda or something,
I'm not understanding still….isn't Mayan and Aztec imagery Mexican? It just happens that the MCU uses that imagery for Atlantis. We honestly don't know right now if Atlantis has roots in Mexico or not so it may well be "Mexican Wakanda"

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"So the Legendary Fictional City Atlantis is actually a Latin American, Aztec inspired Kingdom full of superpowered Latinos"

"Wowza that's so disrespectful"

Go ahead, explain to me why.

Edit: Realized it was actually calling it disrespectful to not have a Wakanda and now I'm even more confused

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Love the trailer. But the tiny wings on Namor's ankles have been and always will be dumb, especially when it comes to flight.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not understanding still….isn't Mayan and Aztec imagery Mexican? It just happens that the MCU uses that imagery for Atlantis. We honestly don't know right now if Atlantis has roots in Mexico or not so it may well be "Mexican Wakanda"

so that last part is what i am actually hopeful for.

i dont think anyone would ever think of this version of atlantis, when someone mention Atlantis outside of MCU itself.

people know what are you talking about when you say "Wakanda"

i dont feel this "Atlantis" will replace the old term at all.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I've registered so many groups angry for some reason or the other at this. Should translate to a lot of discourse that will be overshadowed by the box office success

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Please let it be Nakia or M'Baku in the suit, please let it be Nakia or M'Baku in the suit, please let it be Nakia or M'Baku in the suit, please let it be Nakia or M'Baku in the suit.

They are both great options, though I profess a bias to see the former "Man-Ape" character ascend to these heights.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Atlantis is a blank slate, I've already seen and enjoyed many interpretations of it.

There was that Disney animated movie, there's that version in Young Justice where it was an entire continent founded by Vandal Savage, and of course the dozens upon dozens of stories in fiction about a lost city in the Atlantic Ocean with no specific hard set of rules other than it being underwater at some point, maybe.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it in this movie.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
The cinematography is so good. Plus that transition from No Woman No Cry to Kendrick Lamar's Alright is chief's kiss 😍😭

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

"it looks cool"

but Atlantis???

nah

I still fail to see the the "problem" here. Again, there is NO cultural that has anything to do with Atlantis. So there being a lack of historic connection doesn't somehow make Mexico off limits when looking for inspiration.

The outcome, Mexican representation, is better than the alternative of not choosing this setting for arbitrary reasoning like "Atlantis hasn't previously been associated with this culture".