• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
Didn't like the character models , too cartoonish and not good looking at all, but the world looks good tho. Let's hope they can deliver a great game.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
People are looking in the wrong place if they expected cutting edge graphics from this anyway

Some people don't care about context. The AC Valhalla threads are filled with "it looks like a current gen game" when it's not even a next-gen game. Some people won't be satisfied until they get the level of detail we saw in RDR2 despite that game being a massive outlier in regards to its visuals among the current generation.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say anything about AAA production value.

Just that the production would speak for itself.

We've had a few AA games with gorgeous graphics, e.g. Hellblade and Plague Tale, and those games didn't have major publisher backing.

Yes developed by two studios that had experience in AAA game development and Plague Tale was backed by Focus Home, not major, but they had a publsher compared to Gollum title.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
15270.jpg

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Yes developed by two studios that had experience in AAA game development and Plague Tale was backed by Focus Home, not major, but they had a publsher compared to Gollum title.

Hellblade was created by a tiny dev team of 20 and afaik Asobo have never shipped a AAA game before.

Look, I'm not saying circumstances are 1:1 but I don't understand your incredulity in this situation.

Agree to disagree.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is just such a weird game to make. I don't really know who wants to play an entire game as Gollum, and at the same time... The license couldn't have been cheap?

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
What I wonder is why is this a next gen exclusive?

Maybe marketing wise it makes sense to be one of the few exclusives on next gen than to be another AA game on current gen?

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Can someone tell me why people expected cutting edge graphics in an MMO? And even more from an AA studio?

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Aww someones found out about Subsurface scattering <3 Getting flashbacks to bloom-fest in the 2000s

Oct 26, 2017
Hellblade was created by a tiny dev team of 20 and afaik Asobo have never shipped a AAA game before.

Look, I'm not saying circumstances are 1:1 but I don't understand your incredulity in this situation.

Agree to disagree.

Yes Hellblade was developed by a team of 20 people with AAA experience
Asobo Studio never shipped an AAA game before, but they were a support studio for several titles, like The Crew 2 and they even had enough resources to make their own engine and have Focus Home backing their project.

On top of that, both these games were not "early PS4/Xbox One" titles, but they were released in the later years, 2017 and 2019.

Daedelic only made 2D hand-drawn titles

If you can't see the difference here, i can't help you.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017

Agree to disagree.

Hellblade is a laser-focused constrained story-driven game, which does not seem to be the case for Gollum.

And Asobo has shipped The Crew 1/2, ReCore, Quantum Break as a support studio, and FUEL on their own.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting take on Tolkien's world. Not sure about the depiction of Gollum though, it seems rather generic considering the abundance of variety out there in the world of Tolkien fan art.

This may serve as a nice starter before the main course that is Amazon's LOTR Second Age TV show.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I would have preferred something more unique.

This artwork from Peter Klúcik for example, for an unpublished illustrated version of The Hobbit in 1990.

49796222562_db610fea6a_h.jpg

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Yes Hellblade was developed by a team of 20 people with AAA experience
Asobo Studio never shipped an AAA game before, but they were a support studio for several titles, like The Crew 2 and they even had enough resources to make their own engine and have Focus Home backing their project.

On top of that, both these games were not "early PS4/Xbox One" titles, but they were released in the later years, 2017 and 2019.

Daedelic only made 2D hand-drawn titles

If you can't see the difference here, i can't help you.

I'm well aware of the differences, I just don't think your argument has any weight to it for reasons explained.

That's all. You can ease up on the condescension.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those screenshots look like how bullshots used to look back in the day. Are we finally getting to the point where we have realtime bullshots?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Who thought this was a good idea? It looks terrible in every aspect - character / world design and even graphics.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like the concept art look...but it's not always coherent. Gollum's character model sticks weirdly out, as do the orks and some other objects.

Is this the first next gen (exluding cross gen game footage like AC Valhalla) screenshot footage we've seen so far? O:

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
This the second time a new generation begins with a game based on TLOR lore. I hope it's good

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This is a next-gen game? Wtf
Underwhelming is an understatement. Also, I don't really understand what's the point of playing as Gollum, seems like the least interesting character to be in thr LoTR universe

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda think the art style might work? If it can balance whimsical fantasy with a wretched underbelly (you know, Gollum's whole existence and the whole nature vs. industry of LotR), it could be pretty interesting visually.

They're not the most polished shots but I think they look fine. Animations will make or break, e.g. that close-up shot of Gollum in the OP.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm well aware of the differences, I just don't think your argument has any weight to it for reasons explained.

That's all. You can ease up on the condescension.

"condescension"? lol

I'm just explaining to you how things work and how flawed your comparison is, when you are expecting a studio known for 2D game to instantly make a cutting-edge title because Ninja Theory and Asobo (studios that have experience in AAA) made two AA titles with pretty graphics.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, this looks middling.

Just remaster the Two Towers and RoTK games please.

Also BFME1/2 👀

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not somebody who rails on graphics but this doesn't look good from what I can see.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That character model for Gollum is horrific - they need to completely redo him. Looks horribly out of place in context of the environments