• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
analysis.php

Holy Shit! That guy is really holding himself, but that PS5 is still fake.

Oh my god, the tool is 100% accurate!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
it was excluded because the software gave me the Total volume of the material, not the volume based upon the external extremities.
I agree, I don't think you would normally exclude a
hollow space in the conversation, but that's just how it was measured.
Okay. That makes more sense. Sorry, I thought you were possibly saying that it was that small including the negative space.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The cabinets on the right as well as the floor have smooth surfaces like the PS5 so we should be seeing almost identical colors.
Also the color changes from the reflections are minor.
The smoothness of the surfaces take higher priority.
How does it identify smoothness, though? It's clear that what's causing more noise on other smooth surfaces are the reflections, since the noise happens exactly where the reflections are. The PS5 has no such thing.
The blue banana example posted here shows similar results: the blue part is generating less noise because it's a color block, so it generates less compression artifacts and therefore, less noise. It's not because the picture was edited, it's because it's a color block. Replicating one of the bananas wouldn't yield the same noiseless result, for instance.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. Much bigger.
We don't have accurate or reliable measurements of the PS5 though.

It's possible due to the way the outside curves. There's a lot of volume that is saved there. So the H*D*L calculation is very rough with PS5. It would be safer to measure the volume of the digital edition and slap on a little bit more for the disk drive. The calculation for Series X is more straightforward since it's a literal box.

If not less, then both volumes should be pretty damn close.
I was chastised in an earlier thread for saying that the PS5 might be close to the same volume as the Series X, but there's a lot of talk about that word in here and no criticism, so it must be valid. I agree with this though, it's harder to tell overall with the PS5.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
What's the thing that guy is holding, and shouldn't they be looking at the real PS5 to the right in that picture.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Also gonna say that the fact we have had to resort to trying to prove that a picture of a man holding a console is fake really says a lot about how fucking ginormous this thing is.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Also gonna say that the fact we have had to resort to trying to prove that a picture of a man holding a console is fake really says a lot about how fucking ginormous this thing is.
What did you expect from a console that has a 2.23ghz gpu? They need to cool down that shit lmao so more volume is needed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What did you expect from a console that has a 2.23ghz gpu? They need to cool down that shit lmao so more volume is needed.

Totally. I'd happily take a bigger console for it to be quieter. My Pro is absolutely screaming while I play TLOU2.

Doesn't mean we can't comment and make light of how mammoth it ended up being though!

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
That image of japanese devs pointing and laughing at the original xbox comes to mind. Sony seriously dont care about getting those japanese money, huh

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Totally. I'd happily take a bigger console for it to be quieter. My Pro is absolutely screaming while I play TLOU2.

Doesn't mean we can't comment and make light of how mammoth it ended up being though!
At the beginning i thought it was extremely huge especially considering what we knew about the APU. Then i realized that a lot of mockups were clearly wrong and they clearly needed more volume to cool it. It still doesn't touch the mighty PS3 Fat... But yeah it's pretty big especially compared to PS4.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Guys, this is a big console.

But whatever, that's okay. I do expect it to be dead silent though.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care that it's big. That it's big and ugly is what bothers me. Was probably going to wait for the slim anyway.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Its basically a tool to determine if a photo is edited.
The ps5 should look similar to the other smooth surfaces in that picture.
But seems it has far less noise than anything else in that pic, which means, most likely, it was taken from somewhere else and photoshopped in.
27e59bfada79a1e27dc4e462ee5afa560fab31e5.736712-ela-600.png

Some real sad fanboys creating fake pics of PS5 to make it look bigger than it is. This is like the 3rd photoshopped pic I've seen spread atound Era.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why this? How would you feel if the actual volume of the console ended up being the same or close to the same as the XSX? I think it would be good to reserve judgement on things like this until we actually get word of the actual dimensions.

We have seen photoshops made and passed around as legit already. It's not worth picking apart why people are skeptical.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
There isn't a single iota of my being that wants to do either of those things with you, I don't know you lmao.

Like I said, don't care if people believe me or not. I've stated numerous times that I'm here to give clarity to things that I have first hand knowledge of, which is what I'm doing.

Unlike some other "insiders" my career doesn't depend on you believing what I tell you. I have no incentive to make stuff up or lead on.

I'm with FFMuz on this one. I have my reasons to believe this pic is real. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The fact that forensic analysis is needed to try and debunk a photo that also isn't needed to show how big this console is is strangely hilarious.

Disc drive and USB comparisons are generally spot on. Any which way you slice, it, the console is huge. It's ok. It's not the end of the world lol

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
For those that think it's fake, what else could he could be holding from Sony that is so important that they would pose for? A Walkman? lol
Sadly, Sony isn't the electronic powerhouse it used to be. Playstation is the only the thing that they release that people get hyped for.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that we've had to resort by measuring it in volume to try to downplay the size really says a lot about how fucking ginormous this thing is.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking volume into consideration, when wondering why it's the size that it is.

The only next generation console we have to compare it to is the Series X. Microsoft took a different approach this gen, regarding design. For all we know Sony's engineers could have also had examples of a similar mini tower design..which didn't end up being the final decision. So you can ask yourself, if Microsoft also choose to not use the mini tower design... and instead looked similar to their previous consoles.. how "fucking ginormous" would it look like? What could the be width or length?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
We don't have accurate or reliable measurements of the PS5 though.
We have that:

Play-Station-5-Comparison-v3.png

And this isn't rocket science since USB, disc slot, sticks, buttons... they all use the same standard so isn't hard to get the real measurement of PS5.

Btw I've analized the image in the OP and if it's real (and it looks like it is), now we are sure that the PS5 disc version is 38x25-26x10.2cm, and it's totally in line with my prediction.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
We have that:

Play-Station-5-Comparison-v3.png

And this isn't rocket science since USB, disc slot, sticks, buttons... they all use the same standard so isn't hard to get the real measurement of PS5.

Btw I've analized the image in the OP and if it's real (and it looks like it is), now we are sure that the PS5 disc version is 38x25-26x10.2cm, and it's totally in line with my prediction.

This is what I don't get. Whether the photo is real or not is completely irrelevant. We know the size of the PS5 and it's the biggest console, literally ever.

Why are so many so defensive about it? It doesn't ultimately change anything lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking volume into consideration, when wondering why it's the size that it is.

The only next generation console we have to compare it to is the Series X. Microsoft took a different approach this gen, regarding design. For all we know Sony's engineers could have also had examples of a similar mini tower design..which didn't end up being the final decision. So you can ask yourself, if Microsoft also choose to not use the mini tower design... and instead looked similar to their previous consoles.. how "fucking ginormous" would it look like? What could the be width or length?

The Series X is already a big boy even with it's weird little tower design. It'd be monstrous if it had traditional slab design I reckon.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with FFMuz on this one. I have my reasons to believe this pic is real. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Yeah if you read his other post, he gave a hint about why it could be real. (Who that guy holding it is)

So if someone wanted to do some searching, they can. I choose to save my time and believe a verified FFMuz for now.