• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veracity:

• Valid

Votes: 305 51.4%
  • Venal

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Val Venus

Votes: 234 39.5%

• Total voters

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Also the word prototype written all over it, if thats not a total sign, dunno what is.

I guess this Xbox 360 prototype was not a real prototype then.

27880724_386727341753827_8033251601453940736_n.jpg

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would really like a fun design, but it probably wont as I'd assume it would increase price and well, yea.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
why bother even spending time designing a dev kit beyond a rectangle box with a shit load of vents?

You are absolutely right - which makes me think that the defining design feature of this devkit (the V vent) has gotta be part of the final product. I mean they had to have crammed hardware into that specific shape for a reason.

I'm thinking that it might be a spot to charge/hold a VR headset. Ideally PSV VR would be wireless. We already know that consumer PSVRs will be compatible with the PSV (see: Wired coverage) so devs may be using those for now.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
If that is the dev kit then surely the retail version will have the same cooling as the dev kit. It'd be real dumb to make the dev kit better at cooling then the retail version.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
What a HIDEOUS looking piece of hardware. Good thing this is just a dev kit, and that the consumer version hopefully don't look anywhere close to this. I'm not in the market for a PS but I feel for the people wanting to by Sony's next gen console.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
What a HIDEOUS looking piece of hardware. Good thing this is just a dev kit, and that the consumer version hopefully don't look anywhere close to this. I'm not in the market for a PS but I feel for the people wanting to by Sony's next gen console.

lmao its just a plastic box dude, if someone thinks its ugly just put it out of sight i guess?

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope the retail PS5 looks nothing like that dev kit. That dev kit is possibly the most hideous console I've ever seen.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 dev kit also acts as a hand dryer. You just rest your hands over the sunken area and boom, hot jets of air are blowing your hands dry!

z0mer

Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Funny how he has a source with access to the PS5 dev kit, but he doesn't know anything about the actual device. He has no clue at all. It also looks like it's made of very cheap plastic.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THIS is how Sony, microsoft, nintendo, etc. make their money. They monetize development.

You've made this claim before, but I don't know why you believe a few hundred K moves the needle compared to the billions in revenue they make from game sales, network services and licensing each year... It's a rounding error at best.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this Xbox 360 prototype was not a real prototype then.

27880724_386727341753827_8033251601453940736_n.jpg
prototype implies its a test version of what the final product might look like.

Dev kit implies it's literally just functional hardware for development purposes, with the shell only existing to protect the components and not meant to reflect the hardware as a "product".

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Dev kit implies it's literally just functional hardware for development purposes, with the shell only existing to protect the components and not meant to reflect the hardware as a "product".

Just pointing out the obvious. The fact that it has the word prototype, doesn't mean it's fake, just like the picture I posted. I see this as the non final version of the development kit as it usually happens on all generations.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It's a prototype dev kit; ie not the final dev kit.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hilarious design, but thankfully the retail console absolutely won't look anything like this :P devkits are always big ugly stupid boxes with no indication of final aesthetics, I doubt this one's any different.