• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
how is it nonsense. We had a presentation directly for the controller functions and a commercial about immersion from the controller since June. People buy consoles based on capabilities and games not the controller

They have already shown a tons of games... oO
The reason they are highlighting the features therein is because they feel that they separate their offering from the competitors'. Simple, basic common sense...

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I want Sony to drop the price and release in the same week.

It will still sell out, but the growing internet anxiety would be lovely to behold.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
PlayStation marketing team is just on another level.

Is gonna be wild when preorders open.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wonder if everything in that ad which was CG, if that could be (if well programmed and very familiar with the hardware) rendered realtime on PS5 at 60fps 1080p native.

Or ~1600p cbr at 30fps
And ,lets say in 2023 when PS5 architecture is well understood by most developers and they're starting to push the hardware more and more.
Also by that time, developers will have had Unreal Engine 5 for awhile, plus their starting to really tap into what that custom hardware dedicated to the superfast SSD can do.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Settle down please fanboy.

I feel like I've seen versions of this ad 100 times. PS marketing campaign can and has done MUCH MUCH better.
Fanboy?! Well I never!

This was an ad created and shot during a pandemic with the actress completely remote. I think they nailed it, but yeah it would have been better if everyone involved could have actually worked in person. Given the restrictions though, they really nailed the appeal of the new controller and 3D audio.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I wonder if everything in that ad which was CG, if that could be (if well programmed and very familiar with the hardware) rendered realtime on PS5 at 60fps 1080p native.

Or ~1600p cbr at 30fps
And ,lets say in 2023 when PS5 architecture is well understood by most developers and they're starting to push the hardware more and more.
Also by that time, developers will have had Unreal Engine 5 for awhile, plus their starting to really tap into what that custom hardware dedicated to the superfast SSD can do.
If it was, they'd tell you. "LOOK AT WHAT OUR BOX CAN DO!"

Nov 8, 2017
Not really a fan of these types of ads. Just seems to be blowing smoke up my bum.

Still want to know the launch lineup more than anything.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Fanboy?! Well I never!

This was an ad created and shot during a pandemic with the actress completely remote. I think they nailed it, but yeah it would have been better if everyone involved could have actually worked in person. Given the restrictions though, they really nailed the appeal of the new controller and 3D audio.
Sorry for the fanboy part. Said it in jest but I shouldn't have, it read wrong.

I stand by what I said though. Advertising is about ideas, and this one is bland and tired by PS standards IMO. In terms of production values this is superb, moreso given the pandemic, but that's not my issue with it. Not a big deal, I just find it boring.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's because it is massive. Doesn't matter where you place the controller.

K7vSfuc.jpg

gimmie dat thiccness

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
There's some nice audio work in this ad, worth listening to with headphones/earbuds.

Nice ad too - ties back to what we've already heard from Sony on what features they want to be pushing with the PS5 in terms of audio & the controller. Will be interesting to see how they develop this message, and when they start talking about how fast the device is.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Compared to ads Sony has done in the past this one is pretty mediocre and forgettable. It's like something out of a focus test.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Neither Sony nor Xbox have made a convincing audience friendly pitch yet and its getting tiresome waiting for either of them to say something meaningful

I don't think that's the point of this ad really. Obvious the references are there for those who want to dig in, but I think the primary message they want to convey is that "new console is cool and unlike the console you've got".

Future commercials will be more obvious.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Sorry for the fanboy part. Said it in jest but I shouldn't have, it read wrong.

I stand by what I said though. Advertising is about ideas, and this one is bland and tired by PS standards IMO. In terms of production values this is superb, moreso given the pandemic, but that's not my issue with it. Not a big deal, I just find it boring.

The idea is you, the player, are in the game due to the new visual fidelity, haptic feedback, and 3D audio. They're bringing you closer to the game world with the PS5. You don't have to like it, but it is a strong ad that emphasizes that the gaming experience will also feel and hear more real than before besides looking more real.

Its really more of a "this is the concept of our platform,, it isn't just another strong gaming device" ad so people start understanding the importance of the DualSense for the next gen the gaming experience.

I'm sure the PS5 will have no trouble selling on just name alone (and games like Miles Morales), but the masses need to understand what makes this the next gen PlayStation and why it isn't the PS4 Ultra instead.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I think it's a decent ad which conveys its core message (new console, new experiences), but I get Spartacris 's feeling about it being boring for a PS ad, because he's right - it is a remarkably safe execution for PS as a brand, but I also take that to be a part of the fact this is the first, truly global ad for a PS console so almost by definition it won't be as interesting as those made for local markets as seen in previous generations. Plus COVID ofc, which will have also tempered the ambitions of how the ad could be made.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Exactly. Done a million times. And yes, it's boring to me as an ad.

Except in this case it is highlighting how the DualSense, 3D Audio, etc. creates that feeling. Its not just saying "Look at our pretty visuals on PS5, you will feel like you are in the game". Thats why there was narration with the changing scenes.

They are selling the idea that you are in the game, and they had a person in the game while focusing on the actions and new sensations they were experiencing. I can't imagine a better way to do it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
This ad made me think back to older console announcement ads (no gameplay, just something to get the word out). Anyone remember this one for the PS3?

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Except in this case it is highlighting how the DualSense, 3D Audio, etc. creates that feeling. Its not just saying "Look at our pretty visuals on PS5, you will feel like you are in the game". Thats why there was narration with the changing scenes.

They are selling the idea that you are in the game, and they had a person in the game while focusing on the actions and new sensations they were experiencing. I can't imagine a better way to do it.
Boring and tired way to convey that. You can like it friend. That's ok. I don't and wish they had found a more creative idea around PS5 hook. I really love advertising as a medium and this didn't do it for me.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised that this is getting so much appraisal around here, since it's par for the course for anything PlayStation.

Personally, I think this is pretty mediocre. Doesn't get me hyped, doesn't really show what the console can do, etc. Expecting more, marketing wise, from both Sony and Microsoft.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Boring and tired way to convey that. You can like it friend. That's ok. I don't and wish they had found a more creative idea around PS5 hook. I really love advertising as a medium and this didn't do it for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, this is an August ad for a November console. The other commercials during the release lead up in the holidays will have new ideas, especially centered around their individual exclusives. They're just keeping the hype hot and generating info about the new features that are part of the play experience to the masses.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I wouldn't worry too much about it, this is an August ad for a November console. The other commercials during the release lead up in the holidays will have new ideas, especially centered around their individual exclusives. They're just keeping the hype hot and generating info about the new features that are part of the play experience to the masses.
Agreed. All that matters is the games are great!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the fan noise has a limit. That's all I want. I'd pay $50 extra for a completely silent console.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh, give me sizzle reel of the launch games and not this pretentious crap. Then again, this is from the company that brought us the PS3 baby.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This ad has some mighty immersive audio work. Particularly with a good set of cans.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
isn't that the point of variable frequency or whatever it's called? so that the power consumption never go beyond certain limit and didn't generate heat that will cause the fan to go super loud

I think it was something like that. They know how hot or how fast the system will get so they can design an actual cooling solution that works. If anyone has played Dreams on a PS4 pro, it sounds like three jumbo jets flying two inches past your ears.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Well looks like Sony has officially hit the start button for marketing the PS5. Hopefully we will get a steady stream of info from here on out