• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 8, 2018
it's the sort of ad that would've been useful to tease the PS5 event although I'd argue that the gameplay/In game segments don't look exceptionally good in comparison.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Since playing Rez on the PS2 i am a sucker for good and powerful force feedback and i am super excited about the Dual Sense because rumble and force feedback took a backseat for too long. and no, Nintendos "HD rumble" doesn´t cut it at all.

there are so many games with poor force feedback implementation that i hope the haptic triggers will give many devs a reason to implement cool and unique feeling stuff.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I really don't think it's a good sign to keep having advertising without a price

I really think this thing is going to be $600

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I really don't think it's a good sign to keep having advertising without a price

I really think this thing is going to be $600

While I think $600 is within the realm of possibility, I think the extended silence on pricing this gen has more to do with the pandemic & the logistics of launching a new console during one, than specifically marketing trying to avoid backlash from the announcement or something.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
While I think $600 is within the realm of possibility, I think the extended silence on pricing this gen has more to do with the pandemic & the logistics of launching a new console during one, than specifically marketing trying to avoid backlash from the announcement or something.

I think that is definitely a huge part of the silence on release date due to issues with logistics, but theyve already manufactured a bunch of consoles at this point and have to know at least a price range
I don't see any reason they couldn't announce a release month and price if the price was good news
(It's possible they are just super nervous about a $500 price tag, but I feel like only crazy people expect a price lower than that at this point)

Also it could be possible that shipping/ logistics companies are to blame for all of this if they are trying to price gouge on console shipments

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think that is definitely a huge part of the silence on release date due to issues with logistics, but theyve already manufactured a bunch of consoles at this point and have to know at least a price range
I don't see any reason they couldn't announce a release month and price of the price was good news

Actually it could be possible that shipping/ logistics companies are to blame for all of this if they are trying to price gouge on console shipments

I think it's more about waiting until the last moment so they can adjust if necessary. Like I'm sure they don't want it to be $600 but if the realities of mass producing and mass shipping these consoles in this insane year is going to push them to that point, they don't want to bite that bullet until the last possible moment. Alternatively if things have been easier for them than anticipated and they didn't have to pour a ton of extra money into shipping & distribution, they may be able to swing that $500-550 price point they're trying to reach. And yeah, if they wait longer it may help them a little if/when they do have to announce at $600.

They're also in this cat & mouse game with Microsoft, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're less concerned about that since the Halo delay.

There's also no telling what kind of effect the fuckery at the USPS is having on US-based supply chain costs right now. I doubt they had planned for that at all, but it adds another layer of consideration to their rollout.

Tisideal

Aug 4, 2020
What I love about this ad (and Sony's messaging with PS5 thus far in general) is that it doesn't mention graphics, 4K, frame rate etc at all. I love how Sony is focusing on more new, innovative, and forward thinking features such as the 3D Audio and Haptic feedback. Of course, we can't try DualSense ourselves yet to be the judge on how much of a game changer it really is but it's cool to see that it is an integral part of their strategy and messaging with PS5.

Graphics always get better every generation, but Sony knows that the visible difference is getting harder to discern for most people and that truthfully that's not the most significant advancement into next gen. Bringing just higher resolutions and frame rates for a new generation would be pretty boring so they've invested in other aspects of the gaming experience to deliver a comprehensive next gen experience.

The contrast with Microsoft and their messaging is stark where Microsoft is intent on throwing 4k/60/120 down our throat every time they say anything (and have been doing so since 2017's Xbox One X release). There are plenty who are fine with that but I personally find it refreshing to have other meaningful advancements to focus on and get excited for (no mentioned of resolution or framerates during the PS5 reveal event either)

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What I got from that ad, is PS5 is for people who like really scary experiences in the dark, and PS5's greater immersion is going to make those experiences more extreme. Guess it's not for me!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Cool ad focused on haptics and 3D audio. I listened to it with headphones and it's pretty cool. Eager to try it with a DS5 in my hands.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What I love about this ad (and Sony's messaging with PS5 thus far in general) is that it doesn't mention graphics, 4K, frame rate etc at all. I love how Sony is focusing on more new, innovative, and forward thinking features such as the 3D Audio and Haptic feedback. Of course, we can't try DualSense ourselves yet to be the judge on how much of a game changer it really is but it's cool to see that it is an integral part of their strategy and messaging with PS5.

Graphics always get better every generation, but Sony knows that the visible difference is getting harder to discern for most people and that truthfully that's not the most significant advancement into next gen. Bringing just higher resolutions and frame rates for a new generation would be pretty boring so they've invested in other aspects of the gaming experience to deliver a comprehensive next gen experience.

The contrast with Microsoft and their messaging is stark where Microsoft is intent on throwing 4k/60/120 down our throat every time they say anything (and have been doing so since 2017's Xbox One X release). There are plenty who are fine with that but I personally find it refreshing to have other meaningful advancements to focus on and get excited for (no mentioned of resolution or framerates during the PS5 reveal event either)
immersion is what sony is doing this gen. Faster back into games, Feel games more, better audio to improve the experience all about QoL in gaming it seems like vs just saying most powerful etc.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
First of a series I think. Can't wait to the the SSD ad. Mind blowing shit will be possible at the top end of the PS5 speeds.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think those things are as impressive as Sony thinks they are honestly?

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Incredibly anti-consumer of them to have commercials going up without having any price or release date news out.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
First of a series I think. Can't wait to the the SSD ad. Mind blowing shit will be possible at the top end of the PS5 speeds.

I really think this will be the most important feature. since the release of the PS1 gaming had so many "now loading, please wait" interruptions that i can´t wait to see how much loading is improved this coming generation.

it will be a gamechanger when you can resume multiple games on the fly and play with much less interruption than ever before.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
it doesn't mention graphics, 4K, frame rate etc at all.
Completely agree

Look at what Nintendo do as well, it's about the experience first and foremost. You can let the graphics do the talking for itself, or in the case of a remaster/remake you highlight how pretty it looks.

At some point you gotta just play the damn game, most of my favourite games in the past 3 years have been sub 1080p

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The general pacing of the ad was okay but whoever they got doing the acting was...ehhh.

She looks almost uncomfortable at times, like she didn't know how to respond to direction from the director off stage. Watching her "dodge" that missile or run away from that water monster made me scratch my head.

Incredibly anti-consumer of them to have commercials going up without having any price or release date news out.
giphy.gif

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Add looked off in terms of the character/actor against the cgi/effects

but is a time of Covid so I get the difficulties in making it

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Completely agree

Look at what Nintendo do as well, it's about the experience first and foremost. You can let the graphics do the talking for itself, or in the case of a remaster/remake you highlight how pretty it looks.

At some point you gotta just play the damn game, most of my favourite games in the past 3 years have been sub 1080p
I think this maybe largely why the differences between consoles veer off after hitting that baseline of 10TF. MS pushed more for an even better GPU, Sony went with SSD and revamping controller/audio. Maybe both will pay-off, I just mentioned that if I see anything close to resembling that Halo demo actually running at 60fps, that's enough to get me an Xbox. But unless all this Dualsense hype is fluff, I'm think Sony may have bet right here. It's about experiences and having a good time when you pick up the controller. Just look at the success of Nintendo's games, absolutely little to do with graphics.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boring commercial that doesn't actually show anything, but cool that Olivia Swann got paid. I always love seeing my Legends making money.
There is nothing here that tells the casual observer about the DualSense features.

Neither Sony nor Xbox have made a convincing audience friendly pitch yet and its getting tiresome waiting for either of them to say something meaningful

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Someone take the video and at the end and edit in 299 as the price. Would be hilarious take

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Weird ad.

I appreciate that they're trying to point out some of the things that makes the console unique, but that's still pretty hard to convey through something like this.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing here that tells the casual observer about the DualSense features.

Neither Sony nor Xbox have made a convincing audience friendly pitch yet and its getting tiresome waiting for either of them to say something meaningful

it's not that type of ad. It's an ad to reinforce the Playstation brand as they get closer to launching a new piece of hardware. It's simply to build hype, something they are seemingly really good at.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Weird ad.

I appreciate that they're trying to point out some of the things that makes the console unique, but that's still pretty hard to convey through something like this.

The casual audience is probably going crazy with games looking, feeling, and sounding more real and immersive on PS5. The point is clear that there is more to the console than just graphics, which honestly got wind taken out of that selling point with the midgen consoles this gen.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The general pacing of the ad was okay but whoever they got doing the acting was...ehhh.

She looks almost uncomfortable at times, like she didn't know how to respond to direction from the director off stage. Watching her "dodge" that missile or run away from that water monster made me scratch my head.

She apparently filmed most of it in her apartment to maintain social distancing.

www.usatoday.com

Sony's new PlayStation 5 video spot signals launch of new console system

Yes, the coronavirus pandemic has even affected video game launches, but the PlayStation 5 is still expected to be released this holiday season.