• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So they're releasing this ad spot today, seems to be for digital marketing for the moment. It's not accompanying any immediate new info blowout, by the sounds of things.

eu.usatoday.com

Sony's new PlayStation 5 video spot signals launch of new console system

Yes, the coronavirus pandemic has even affected video game launches, but the PlayStation 5 is still expected to be released this holiday season.
This is nice.

Acknowledging there are issues due to the coronavirus, and they still worked around it. It cant be easy for anyone right now. Platform holders, devs, publishers, etc. More places going back to lock downs...

I like the speculation about they types of games hinted at in the ad.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Gotta love Sony.

Show up with something new every 2 weeks and then go radio silent.
Meanwhile hype intensifies.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a cool initial ad. Sets the mood for "new experiences", and I think it will intrigue the more mainstream audience even if they don't fully understand what it's trying to demonstrate right away.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all reading some of those DualSense implementations?

"As you pull the trigger, you'll fire from one barrel, and you can feel resistance around halfway down the trigger. Need a bigger blast? Pull the trigger through that resistance point and you'll fire both barrels at the same time."

😳

Someone should make a thread. People still think its haptics is no different from Switch's HD rumble and XB1's trigger rumble.

Never mind. There is one already. Cool.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

"As you pull the trigger, you'll fire from one barrel, and you can feel resistance around halfway down the trigger. Need a bigger blast? Pull the trigger through that resistance point and you'll fire both barrels at the same time."

😳

Someone should make a thread. People still think its haptics is no different from Switch's HD rumble and XB1's trigger rumble.

I've looked through them, and all i think is "shit better be sturdy, or we've already found the drifting stick of the DualSense"

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland

😳

Yeah the description of the Enforcer is hyping me up real good.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
200.gif

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Feel like I know so little about this console still. I want to see the UI.

A breakdown focusing on the cooling solution would be nice too.
And this is my issue. They expect us to pounce on the pre-orders, which we all will, yet seemingly aren't giving us much time to process the full package and then make a purchase decision. This is going to be a lot of money for people, at least give time to make sure its the right decision.

BTW, i'm buying day 1!!

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care without a price. How am I supposed to get excited for a product I don't know if I will be able to afford three months out?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Gotta love Sony.

Show up with something new every 2 weeks and then go radio silent.
Meanwhile hype intensifies.
i think now starts the floods of info. since they say its now the start of their marketing campaign. i think we get to pre-order in the next two weeks, get the UI shown off in sept and october we get another games showcase with the full launch window line up, and a tear down in november close to launch.

I've looked through them, and all i think is "shit better be sturdy, or we've already found the drifting stick of the DualSense"
check out the patent its fully mechanical.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And? Mechanical shit can still break, and people surprised by their trigger locking up for example and answer with more force are going to be a thing.
sticks have issues because of them having some digital components. making this argument is like saying anything can break which is literally can happen to anything, but being a more analog solution there is less that can go wrong and or is easier to be repaired.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
sticks have issues because of them having some digital components. making this argument is like saying anything can break which is literally can happen to anything, but being a more analog solution there is less that can go wrong and or is easier to be repaired.

The comparison to the stick drift wasn't about the cause of an issue.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The comparison to the stick drift wasn't about the cause of an issue.
so then you are worried about manufacturing, because thats pretty much why some these things happen over time or a poor design in the case of the joy cons. its pretty much inevitable you will have a malfunction with a controller when it happens that where better design comes into play. i just dont get the concern unless you are talking about the joy con issue.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
so then you are worried about manufacturing, because thats pretty much why some these things happen over time or a poor design in the case of the joy cons. its pretty much inevitable you will have a malfunction with a controller when it happens that where better design comes into play. i just dont get the concern unless you are talking about the joy con issue.

That's what i do. I'm talking about those triggers becoming the main reliability issue on the scope of the Switchs stick drift.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel kind of sorry for everyone at Sony who had been planning to spend a lot of time this year showing off the Dualsense. At least thats how I translated their «We are looking forward to seeing you at hundreds of events this year» or however they said that. They were obviously going to put the controller in as many hands as possible to pull customers in but then Covid happened and threw a massive spanner in those plans. The Official Playstation magazine had an entire issue dedicated to that (the June «In Control» issue). The fancy Sony booth that showed up at Currys in the UK was probably meant for that purpose, and then the second wave hit. I still think theyre going to do those demos as soon as covid lets up. And just focus on getting the console out there as planned this year.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That's what i do. I'm talking about those triggers becoming the main reliability issue on the scope of the Switchs stick drift.
yeah i dont know, the joycons i think are unique just because of how damn small they are in comparison to the controller, personally looking at the patent i dont see it being a real issue based on how they designed it and i would think they would be doing some serious stress testing on the trigger to have an idea on its lifespan.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I feel kind of sorry for everyone at Sony who had been planning to spend a lot of time this year showing off the Dualsense. At least thats how I translated their «We are looking forward to seeing you at hundreds of events this year» or however they said that. They were obviously going to put the controller in as many hands as possible to pull customers in but then Covid happened and threw a massive spanner in those plans. The Official Playstation magazine had an entire issue dedicated to that (the June «In Control» issue). The fancy Sony booth that showed up at Currys in the UK was probably meant for that purpose, and then the second wave hit. I still think theyre going to do those demos as soon as covid lets up. And just focus on getting the console out there as planned this year.
yeah i would hope they have some in store demos where people can go and sign up and make it by appointment at least

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'd be able to enjoy all of this hype so much more if I was able to get a pre-order locked and ready.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cool ad but if I didn't already know about the new dualsense features I'd be confused about what they're advertising.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought so too. They would have been able to get word around sooner, and instead we have a bunch of people who outright reject the DualSense as gimmicky despite the potentially big improvements it can bring to the gameplay experience. That lack of enthusiasm could directly impact the support it gets. It's unfortunate, but they seem to be handling it well.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's a moving mechanical part in a small controller where people can get stressed and really yank on the triggers without realizing it. If there's a linkage that completely blocks the triggers at any point short of the molded plastic of the shell I'd fully expect it to break easily. I don't think that's what they're doing though; it sounds like there's a high-tension section that can be moved, but the ultimate stop is always going to be the controller shell. If it's moved all the way forward the extra spring tension will make it feel blocked, but you could still pull it all the way to the actual stop.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
interesting ad, it feels like a hybrid early PS3/PS4 commercial in terms of tone... I don't know that there was ever a PS4 ad that this serious or dramatic, along with the upper crust british VO. the death stranding/pro commercial if that counts i guess. but this is still very much focused on games experience and not something completely weird and esoteric, so that's good. im not sure how much you can read into this with the current global pandemic, external factors might come into consideration, but i hope there's an ad like this to accompany it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK03aVJekGg because playstation markets best when it's going for 'fun'

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A lot of influencers might something before the release

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's a moving mechanical part in a small controller where people can get stressed and really yank on the triggers without realizing it. If there's a linkage that completely blocks the triggers at any point short of the molded plastic of the shell I'd fully expect it to break easily. I don't think that's what they're doing though; it sounds like there's a high-tension section that can be moved, but the ultimate stop is always going to be the controller shell. If it's moved all the way forward the extra spring tension will make it feel blocked, but you could still pull it all the way to the actual stop.
i dont think that is the case either i think its more than likely when pulling down its hits a stop but allows you to keep going for a full depress, where you can see how the wheel is in the patent its kind of clear to see.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool ad even though there were no games shown. I feel like the haptics are going to he a big deal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Boring commercial that doesn't actually show anything, but cool that Olivia Swann got paid. I always love seeing my Legends making money.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I always like Sony ad campaigns, albeit many of them are shortlived. I can't imagine how much money they spent into that CGI, but they ought to spend upwards of eight or nine figures for a next-gen console.