• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm president and producer Kathleen Kennedy confirmed the limited series takes place a decade after the events of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, where Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and the fallen Anakin Skywalker (Christensen) have a heated battle on the planet of Mustafar. In Obi-Wan Kenobi, the friends-turned-enemies will have the "rematch of the century" ahead of their final battle in Star Wars: A New Hope.

"There's a hunger for this character to come back," McGregor said in footage screened exclusively for investors during Thursday's presentation. "The fans have been waiting long enough, you know?"

Added Chow, "This is quite a dark time that we're coming into with him, just being a Jedi — it's not safe. There's Jedi hunters out there."

Concept art shows a Jedi, lightsaber blade ignited, defending a trio of Younglings as the newly-anointed Darth Vader marches on the Jedi Temple with a legion of Clone Troopers. "He has this one task left," McGregor said of his exiled Jedi, "which is to keep Luke safe."

More concept art shows a stingray-like creature floating above slave workers toiling away in the barren, sandy landscape of Tatooine. "We start on Tatooine, and we go on a rollicking adventure," McGregor teased over a glimpse at a watery planet, where armed soldiers fire upon a many-armed sea creature.

"We couldn't tell the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin or Vader," Chow added over an image of the armored Vader seated on a throne as he communicates with a hologram — possibly his master, the reigning Emperor of the Galactic Empire.

"The most beautiful thing of all is that it's brought me back together with Hayden," a giddy McGregor said. "It'll be amazing to bring those characters back together again, very unexpectedly."

Chow confirmed that audiences will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again" as we see the blue blade of a hooded Obi-Wan clash with the fiery red blade of Darth Vader, evoking imagery of their previous encounter in Revenge of the Sith.

"Having another swing at each other might be quite satisfying for everybody," McGregor teased. "We hope that you enjoy it as much as we're going to enjoy making it."

More at:
comicbook.com

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi Footage Description from Disney Investor Day 2020

Disney and Lucasfilm revealed the first official look at Disney+ series Obi-Wan Kenobi during [...]

Complete the circle if old

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The circle is now complete. Darth Vader went from badass iconic villain -> whining child meme bait -> CloneWars/Rogue One/ObiWan badass iconic villain.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Every Star Wars show is actually gonna be about someone protecting a baby.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so another duel between Ep 3 and ANH? Eh, I guess whatever at this point.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chow confirmed that audiences will "definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again" as we see the blue blade of a hooded Obi-Wan clash with the fiery red blade of Darth Vader, evoking imagery of their previous encounter in Revenge of the Sith.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I was very excited to have McGregor back. But, I dunno about Obi-Wan and Vader going at it. I mean, I guess it makes sense since Vader knows he is out there. But, I don't know... we'll see.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Round 2

giphy.gif

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it is retcon valley. Kathleen Kennedy's involvement means only the lowest of low expectations.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it is retcon valley. Kathleen Kennedy's involvement will kill this, even Mando Season 2 isn't as good as season 1 and I bet it is because Favreau isn't as involved and the suits at Lucasfilm are fucking it up.

Are people not liking season 2? Thought it was generally well liked so far, including myself.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the huge adventure, character development and huge momentous occasions that are never mentioned in the original Star Wars film.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How are they gonna handle Vader's voice? Is it gonna be be Christensen with some kind of voice modulator? Bring back James Earl Jones? Someone that sounds like him?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The only scenes Obi Wan and Anakin should be sharing is like dream sequences or flashbacks or something

Like it's cool to have Darth Vader in there but not opposite Obi Wan

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much Hayden will actually be there when it's armored Darth Vader. Maybe there'll be flashbacks?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I raised an eyebrow when Hayden's return was announced but hearing that they're actually going to try and get another Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight happening is wildly disappointing. Doesn't really make a lick of sense in the lore. Whatever, though.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought it was pretty clear Obi and Vader saw each other for the first time after Mustafar on the Death Star... but thinking back on it ten years is still a long time and I don't think it's clear. And as others have said Vader knows he's not dead.

I hope it's somewhat more psychological though, like Hayden being the voice of doubt and failure since Obi lives with the guilt of letting all this happen to Anakin in the first place. They're not going to top Mustafar, so I'd rather the rematch be cerebral.

Every Star Wars show is actually gonna be about someone protecting a baby.

Supposedly they rewrote this awhile back because of this issue.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Obi-Wan Kenobi, the friends-turned-enemies will have the "rematch of the century" ahead of their final battle in Star Wars: A New Hope.

Sigh. I had a rant ready before deciding to just accept the dumb ass retcons and just deal with it. Bunch of fucking incompetent sorry excuses of "writers". ANH made it perfectly clear both didn't see each other since that fateful day.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its all up to the execution so Ill be excited to see how they go about it but SO much of the themes and allure of the original Star Wars is now gone. Its such a strong story when these people havent seen each other for 30 years, when a Jedi hasnt tapped into the Force in so long that when one finally does its a huge deal ... but the way things are going, there were always Jedi around, making Luke very much just another dude, and Obi Wan and Vader were both probably to kill each other for a long time in between both trilogies.

It all gets very diluted

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I'd have been fine with Inquisitors, bounty hunters and clone troopers after Obi-Wan. Vader could have gotten his own show along with Dr Aphra. It's all in the execution but on principal I'm not liking they're actually going to fight.

Oct 26, 2017
the friends-turned-enemies will have the "rematch of the century"

Oh it's gonna be bad then

Prediction: Vader is gonna use force lightning on Obi-Wan and it will age him like 20 years for no reason, but also damage Vader's circuitry so that's why he never used it again and dies in ROTJ form Plapy's unlimited power

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have been fine with Inquisitors, bounty hunters and clone troopers after Obi-Wan. Vader could have gotten his own show along with Dr Aphra. It's all in the execution but on principal I'm not liking they're actually going to fight.
Would have loved to see that happen. Aphra trying her best to stay alive while working for Vader is great entertainment

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Sounds like it is retcon valley. Kathleen Kennedy's involvement will kill this, even Mando Season 2 isn't as good as season 1 and I bet it is because Favreau isn't as involved and the suits at Lucasfilm are fucking it up.
Wow. Not really sure where your beef with KK is coming from but so far she seems capable.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
I really wish they'd stop filling in any gaps in the timeline. Going to be squeezing in massive galaxy spanning adventures between Monday and Wednesday at this rate.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
If Obi goes vs Darth before A New Hope, doesn't that defeat the whole.....When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.......Was he still learning 10 years later?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
In Obi-Wan Kenobi, the friends-turned-enemies will have the "rematch of the century" ahead of their final battle in Star Wars: A New Hope.

No, GOD, no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Why?!?!?!?!

I much preferred the idea that these two characters never saw each other again after ROTS until ANH. Now, we see it was just another battle in a long-running scruff between the two? Why? Tarkin literally responds with disbelief that Obi-Wan Kenobi is still alive after all these years. This made sense if you believed that he stayed in hiding during that entire intervening period, never coming into contact with Vader.

I want a slower-paced, character of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I don't want "woah, ALL THE LASERSWORD FIGHTS!" type of deal. We already have The Mandalorian to fulfill just base Star Wars, pew-pew, desire. Kenobi should be something more.