• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Correct. We do the same work, and get none of the same benefits.

I'm not getting paid right now, and I don't have a lot of options.
This part is extremely shitty. The folks who usually make out the best in these situations are the non-essential employees who have always been paid once the gov't reopens so they basically got paid vacations but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that changed this time because of the petulant baby in the WH.

I still don't quite get how contractors aren't getting paid when I thought the contracting companies are awarded the funding in advance.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y

You can call them useless but the bottom line is it's some people's job and how they make a living and take care of their family. You may not have to agree with the occupation but at least show some respect to the people who are working and not getting paid right now instead of hiding behind a computer screen and insulting them
But how else will I feel better about myself

I wonder if Trump realizes or even cares that TSA employees calling out and potentially making life harder for airlines is only going to end with security going private. Orlando already went private or in the process of it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh.
The term is "call in sick". You are calling in to inform them you are sick and will not be at your place of employment that day.

I've lived all over the US and I've literally never heard anyone say it that way.

Why would you call "in"? You're not going "in" to work. You're going to be "out" of work.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I've lived all over the US and I've literally never heard anyone say it that way.

Why would you call "in"? You're not going "in" to work. You're going to be "out" of work.

The "in" part refers to the direction your call is going. Instead of you, the person, going "in" to work, your phone call is going "in" to your workplace to inform them you will not.

Have you ever heard the phrase "phone in", as in to do something with the most minimal of effort? So little effort they might as well not shown up at all?

Its not "phone out"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the phrase is dependent on where you live:

http://behindthegrammar.com/2009/08/call-in-sick-versus-call-out-sick-versus-call-off-sick/

Red = call in sick
Yellow = call out sick
Green = call off sick
Blue = mixed

• "Calling out sick" seems to be most common in New York, New Jersey, and Florida, although it is heard in other places.

This another one of those interesting regional differences in our country that I didnt know existed lmao

For the record we call IN sick here in Michigan

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The "in" part refers to the direction your call is going. Instead of you, the person, going "in" to work, your phone call is going "in" to your workplace to inform them you will not.

Have you ever heard the phrase "phone in", as in to do something with the most minimal of effort? So little effort they might as well not shown up at all?

Its not "phone out"
Exactly. I honestly don't get how people can defend "calling out sick" other than that's just how they learned it. It makes no sense considering the action being described.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this proves how useless the TSA is.

Also it's call in sick. Not surprised "call out sick" is from New York; just look at Trump and his broken English.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
All these federal workers should call in sick. Fuck trump.

Ask landlords to go easy? The fuck is this guy taking about.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
The french police union threatened to strike during the recent 'yellow vest' protests and riots in france which was pretty good.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The outrage if Obama did this...sigh.... They'd be on TV saying he was trying to help Al Qaeda. Wait, they did that anyway.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Short for:

Call in sick = I'm calling into work that I am at home sick
Call out sick= I'm calling work that I am going to be out of the office sick
Call off sick= I'm calling work that I am taking the day off cause I am sick

They all sound fine to me- each just emphasis part of the whole more.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
This part is extremely shitty. The folks who usually make out the best in these situations are the non-essential employees who have always been paid once the gov't reopens so they basically got paid vacations but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that changed this time because of the petulant baby in the WH.

I still don't quite get how contractors aren't getting paid when I thought the contracting companies are awarded the funding in advance.

That's the joke.

My employer has been paid. They COULD pay all of us through the shutdown. But they won't. Every option that they've provided is a bandaid in which the employee still loses. Depending on how long it goes, we'll all either lose a lot (or all) of our PTO for the entire year, just won't get paid at all, or be forced to collect unemployment, which will not provide 100% of our pay.

The media never mentions contractors when they do reporting on shutdowns, and how we're impacted. It's really frustrating, and we generally get hurt the worst.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Good on the two of you trying to find gainful employment. Ignore the haters talking shit about people working honest jobs while behind a computer.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Don't worry, all the missed paychecks will be worth it.

He doesn't actually watch GoT does he?
That's the joke.

My employer has been paid. They COULD pay all of us through the shutdown. But they won't. Every option that they've provided is a bandaid in which the employee still loses. Depending on how long it goes, we'll all either lose a lot (or all) of our PTO for the entire year, just won't get paid at all, or be forced to collect unemployment, which will not provide 100% of our pay.

The media never mentions contractors when they do reporting on shutdowns, and how we're impacted. It's really frustrating, and we generally get hurt the worst.
And this is the GOP dream, an entirely privatized gov't where we're all at the mercy of these fat cats who will sit in the middle and collect their money regardless of what happens to us.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh just went through SFO and lines were longer than usual, & TSA employees seemed fairly out of it. Feel so bad for them...

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh just went through SFO and lines were longer than usual, & TSA employees seemed fairly out of it. Feel so bad for them...
My father flew out yesterday from JFK. Said there were considerably less TSAs than usual and that they were waving people through. No shoe or belt removal and he didn't take his laptop out his bag. None of the usual stuff. They checked tickets and that's it.

Got through "security" in like 10 minutes on a weekend. Must've been amazing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Remember when @SpoxDHS tweeted that a CNN story on some TSA employees starting to not show up for work was fake news and then the president praised him for the tweet?
Morgan Fairchild @morgfair​
Due to TSA absences, Miami airport will temporarily close one terminal early for 3 days @CNNPolitics https://cnn.it/2Fl7SJB

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's still breathtaking that we live in a world where the Department of Homeland Security will peddle blatant lies about what we can see happening right in front of us at major international airports, just to cover the president's hide.

The White House could be on fire and SHB would stand on the lawn, smoke and flames clearly visible in the background, and tell reporters that news of an emergency was fake.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the joke.

So I assume the company just pockets the money then?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to fly today and next Saturday in CLT. I have no idea what to expect for security wait times. Hoping its not awful.

Oct 27, 2017

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. You're "calling in". Making a call to your place of employment.
I bet you say "I could care less" too

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Remember when @SpoxDHS tweeted that a CNN story on some TSA employees starting to not show up for work was fake news and then the president praised him for the tweet?
Morgan Fairchild @morgfair​
Due to TSA absences, Miami airport will temporarily close one terminal early for 3 days @CNNPolitics https://cnn.it/2Fl7SJB

Taking a trip to Miami next week, but I'm sure everything will be fine! Right? RIGHT?!?!

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. You're "calling in". Making a call to your place of employment.
I bet you say "I could care less" too
How the hell is it sarcasm? I've never heard anyone say "call in" even if that is technically correct. Call our is how many of us have heard it our entire lives. I've lived and been around the northeast coast my entire life.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That's the joke.

You should honestly call up one of the news programs and complain directly. They are looking for stories like yours.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Hope this gets resolved soon,
I have to fly today and next Saturday in CLT. I have no idea what to expect for security wait times. Hoping its not awful.

Here in Canada they are saying if your flying to the US you should arrive 3hrs before the flight. This was like two weeks ago. Usually its 1hr. Probably even worse now. I already changed one flight late Jan from 7AM to late afternoon so I would not potentially have to be at the airport at 4AM.