• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that's obviously the 3080 if legit and also an engineering sample, these cards are supposedly going to be breaking 2GHz with ease.
Something to keep in mind: GA102 is rumored to be TSMC 7nm, while the 3070 is likely to be a different chip on Samsung 8nm. The Samsung shouldn't be the one in this leak, and their process is said to be a cheaper alternative/not as good as TSMCs.

30% Ti to Ti would be a repeat of this gen, with better RT. Not ideal at a potential $999-$1200 price-point. So hopefully this is the 3080, and a lower clocked engineering sample at that. We did just see RTX 3080 coolers leak for the first time recently.

It's definitely not the Ti/3090, I'm not sure about fab costs but TSMC's defect density for the current version of their 7nm as of last year was at ~.09 so yields are really high.

It has to be 3080 to make any sense . I hope this is like Pascal jump again , when I'm looking back at the history

GTX 1080 is 30% faster than GTX980 Ti https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,23.html

but GTX980 was barely faster than 780Ti https://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/10 , couldn't remember how much a beast that 780Ti was .
IIRC the 970 could keep up with the 780 Ti and was considered "too good" by some people at its price in comparison to the 980.

Oct 27, 2017
still satisfied with my aorus 2080ti performance, so when the 1st wave of these cards hit:
tenor.gif

+40% on cyberpunk or no dice

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Is this huge?

How much was the jump from the 1080 Ti to the 2080?
We don't know where this fits in the nVidia stack, so it's hard to say. If its a 3070 or 3080 it bodes well. Also seems more reasonable than the recent rumor of a 75% uplift in perf (unless nvidia is going absolutely ham with like, a $2000+ halo part).

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
What I mean by pushing a "gimmick" is as I explained that the 20X0 generation focused on adding a new feature that occupied a big part of the die without increasing that much base performance (as rtx cores are very specific for certain actions). That meant that all the improvements on the rest of the die left a smaller improvement because ... they occupied less space than before.
The 30X0 generation when compared to the 20X0 generation will have more or less the same part of the die with RTX cores so all the improvements (both a new architecture and smaller size!) will occupy the same space as the 20X0 generation. So we should be back to "pre-20x0" jumps.

The 2080Ti will like previous cases, not be sold (as its the usual case when a new gen happens) by Nvidia because Nvidia will focus on a different set of cards ranging from "low" end 3060 (or the rumored 3050) to high end (3080Ti), (and I guess mobile cards but... those are a bit different lol). You will be able to find 2080Tis in second hand market or at cheaper discount prices, such as you did with 1080Tis when the 2080 launched as companies try to finish their stock.

Like seriously, was the 20x0 your first graphic card gen?
It will cost it's current price until it runs out of stock while the 3070 (a theoretical +/- 5% performance of the 2080 Ti) will overtake in sales during launch. Not like I can buy a 1080 Ti.
They're going to be able to build that same power with a much smaller die, which probably also means much better yields. So it'll cost a lot less to Nvidia. Whether they'll pass on that savings remains to be seen.
You know what? You've all convinced me. In fact, I hope this benchmark is the 3060!!! Why not, right? Run it down the list!!!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Pretty sure this is the 3080, the 3090 is going to be quite a bit more than just 30% plus over a 2080 Ti

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
if this is the the 3080 edition, it bodes well for Ampere. If it's the 3080 ti/3090 edition, then the performance bump is not that great IMO. It could be that Ampere brings the biggest jump in performance when it comes to ray tracing, but still I need to see a significant jump in rast as well. If not I might stick to my 2080 ti. 30% is not a worthwhile improvement for me.
I don't know if they've switched up their product cycles, but Ti usually comes out quite a bit after the xx70 xx80 models , so my assumption is first benchmarks of a new product line are always on the xx80 , did something change in the last couple of generations.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if they've switched up their product cycles, but Ti usually comes out quite a bit after the xx70 xx80 models , so my assumption is first benchmarks of a new product line are always on the xx80 , did something change in the last couple of generations.
2080Ti and 2080 launched 7 days apart.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
This is going to be pretty underwhelming if it isn't the 3080. Nvidia need to be a bit careful here. Yes, there are a hardcore of enthusiasts who will spend whatever amount to get the latest and greatest, but they're in the extreme minority. If the performance gains for the more sanely priced cards aren't great, or they hike the prices again, IMO they risk pushing more PC gamers towards buying the new consoles rather than upgrading.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
You know what? You've all convinced me. In fact, I hope this benchmark is the 3060!!! Why not, right? Run it down the list!!!

You're being weirdly hostile about this. We'll all find out when the cards appear but the consensus seems to be this is indeed the 3080. But it really doesn't matter...

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
I truly think RDNA2 might be the return of the king moment for AMD.

The company is killing it in the CPU and GPU department this year.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Doubt it. AMD are so far behind Nvidia its silly.

They're nowhere near as behind as you are claiming (if performance is what you are referring to).

Simple math tells us that Big Navi cards will have quite the performance boost to them, and that's without going anywhere near IPC and architecture improvements.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

Huh?

They're nowhere near as behind as you are claiming (if performance is what you are referring to).

Simple math tells us that Big Navi cards will have quite the performance boost to them, and that's without going anywhere near IPC and architecture improvements.

Its all about power efficiency. Navi is competing with Nvidia 16nm cards atm on that and math actually tell us it will get ugly when they start competing againts Nvidia at 7/8nm .

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I'm ready. I'll sell my 2070 Super.

N1CAC6U.gif

I think I want to stick to the 3070 range. So I'll see how much of an improvement that is over the 2070 Super I have now, and decide from there. If the jump in performance isn't big enough and price is not decent, I'll probably skip till the next cycle or any refresh happens

Oct 27, 2017

AMD will disappoint with their GPUs like they always do in comparison to Nvidia's offerings. AMD is always gunning for Intel in the CPU department and never letting their foot off the gas pedal, but they always swing and miss at Nvidia. I suppose we shall see if they're actually competitive this year.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Its all about power efficiency. Navi is competing with Nvidia 16nm cards atm on that and math actually tell us it will get ugly when they start competing againts Nvidia at 7/8nm .

Then there are the rumours that they've solved the power issues that have been dogging them for years, mostly due to what we see in the consoles. If even half of the rumours are true RDNA2 should be very interesting.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Then there are the rumours that they've solved the power issues that have been dogging them for years, mostly due to what we see in the consoles. If even half of the rumours are true RDNA2 should be very interesting.
So, we are doing extrapolations based on unreleased hardware with not known power profiles other than its physical size?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
So, we are doing extrapolations based on unreleased hardware with not known power profiles other than its physical size?

I'm just going by apparent leaks and rumours that have been going for the last year or so. I'm not going to be upgrading to any of these cards so I have no stake in any of it, it's just interesting to me, moreso because rumours persist about these new Navi chips to the point that nVidia may be holding back a little in case it's necessary... again, apparently.

Everything we've heard about it could all be a big lie but we won't know until they release, and until then it's interesting to speculate based on what little information we have. As I said in an earlier post, simple maths show that at the very least, Big Navi should be a hell of a performance improvement over current Navi cards. And that alone is interesting.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just going by apparent leaks and rumours that have been going for the last year or so. I'm not going to be upgrading to any of these cards so I have no stake in any of it, it's just interesting to me, moreso because rumours persist about these new Navi chips to the point that nVidia may be holding back a little in case it's necessary... again, apparently.

Everything we've heard about it could all be a big lie but we won't know until they release, and until then it's interesting to speculate based on what little information we have. As I said in an earlier post, simple maths show that at the very least, Big Navi should be a hell of a performance improvement over current Navi cards. And that alone is interesting.
The point is, at the moment AMD seems to be at a significant disadvantage with Nvidia to the point where it is only competitive because the green team is still on last gen fabs. With what we know now, even if all Nvidia does this year is to release a shrinked version of Turing they would have a significant advantage against what we can see of Navi. Any good will that AMD has atm is stems from the console hype, disregarding how little we actually know about the next gen consoles (price?).

Is it impossible that Navi 2 could be much better than Navi? Is not impossible, and it would be great if we actually have some competition on the GPU market. But is up to AMD to prove us that they can compete and have yet to do so. Comments like "AMD has been killing it! " or "just do the math" are unearned by AMD and have no basis on what we currently know.

I mean, what are we expecting of big Navi right now... a card that finally matches/beat the 2 years old 2080ti? That looks good only because Nvidia has been charging whatever they want on the high end space, since they only compete against themselves.

Last edited:

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda what we are expecting. But leaking benchmarks are a good sign, that everything is on track for Ampere release in fall, I think.

We'll see, and we'll also see if their cards require yet another aftermarket cooler to not sound like a leaf blower.
I'm pretty sure AMD was already teasing a non blower reference cooler for Big Navi during some presentation earlier this year. We will see.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
AMD are so far behind Nvidia its silly.

That's what you think, we have real proof RDNA2 is the real thing. Why? They said RDNA2 would bring 50% or more performance (or efficiency) over RDNA 1.

www.tomshardware.com

AMD Says its Upcoming RDNA 2 and Navi 2x Will Boost Performance per Watt by 50%

Building on the RDNA architecture, AMD looks to tackle 4K and ray tracing with its next GPUs.

And now we know it's definitely true
because the clockspeeds on thermal constrained consoles like the PS5 are insane for RDNA 2. Big Navi is coming with more compute units and better frequency than ever.

I think the silly thing is to dismiss AMD like you did with no real arguments. Personally, I don't really care who wins and even if Nvidia takes the power crown again, I don't want them to impose their habitual crazy price inflation again with Ampere on the market.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
We don't know anything from this, like what card it is but I expect Nvidia to blow PS5/XsX out in Raytracing at least because so far the PS5 raytracing performance isn't all that hot.
Should've added /s to my post. I'm just being reactionary to all of the hot takes I've seen lately that the new consoles are pushing the industry forward, tech-wise.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking likely that the 3070 may slightly exceed the 2080 Ti then if the base 3080 is 30% faster

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017

AMD are on 7nm and Nvidia are on 12nm. Nvidia are still ahead here. What do you expect to happen when Nvidia moves to 7nm?

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
AMD are on 7nm and Nvidia are on 12nm. Nvidia are still ahead here. What do you expect to happen when Nvidia moves to 7nm?

It's not just a question about node size here.
RDNA 1 was just a small step introducing the NAVI architecture on TSMC's 7nm.
RDNA2 is the biggest jump in performance in a long time for AMD.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just a question about node size here.
RDNA 1 was just a small step introducing the NAVI architecture on TSMC's 7nm.
RDNA2 is the biggest jump in performance in a long time for AMD.
So, lets assume the best case scenario (that 50% power efficiency jump), now AMD is finally on par... with a 2 years old Nvidia architecture, without counting the tensor and raytracing cores of the later. Congrats?

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Eh, it'll be 20 Series prices. My personal situation leaves me in a bit of a bind, because technically, I can just buy a second TITAN RTX and have more power than the Ampere one on its own. Ti buyers, in the other hand, look like they are about to get a considerable incentive to jump on that 3090. Time will tell.
I wish I was in a "bind" that allowed me to purchase a second TITAN.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
Node Jump and new architecture after nearly 8 years of GCN and which addresses most complaints about GCN does not seem small to me!

I'm not talking about overall new features and adapting the Architecture to a new 7nm process. That was certainly a big challenge for AMD's engineers.

I'm talking specifically about the performance increase here.
In that sense RDNA 1 is a smaller jump compared to VEGA than RDNA2 compared to RDNA1.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting to buy it... but now... Jesus. U_U'
I think I want to stick to the 3070 range. So I'll see how much of an improvement that is over the 2070 Super I have now, and decide from there. If the jump in performance isn't big enough and price is not decent, I'll probably skip till the next cycle or any refresh happens

2070S has been really good so far, at the moment I'm playing at 1080p so it just eats up most games easily at max settings. I'm getting RDR2 soon to see how it performs.

But yeah I hope 3080ti is a big jump.