• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
oof. This one has dead on arrival all over it. D&D had always struggled to transition to TV/film, this one looks like one more to the pile.

nope. Dungeons and Dragons meets Monty Python, Princess Bride, and The Goonies is what you're getting here.
I'll take that over escaping a "Dungeon" to get a rod that controls some "Dragons"

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
This somehow looks worse than the 2000 films.

And Michelle Rodriguez once again playing the same character she has been for over 20 years...

I mean, I think she'd probably be the first to say she can only play one type of character and as long as she gets to play said character and get paid, she'll keep doing that.

Hugh Grant looks ace with that costume. This can be fun - though, as a (sort of recent) D&D fan, I'm wary of trying to translate it to the big screen. Then again, the guys behind it seem talented enough, so I hope it works.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just mirrored the '80s cartoon and casted accordingly. This looks hokey as hell and not in a good way.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
This is gonna be a isekai is it?
MV5BMTQ2MDE5NDE4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDc5OTA5._V1_.jpg

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Characters look uninspired.

It's crazy that a game with tons of fun races, it's always boiled down to humans, elves, and maybe dwarfs.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the name actors, I would have assumed this was the opening sequence or a teaser trailer or something for a B-grade "podcasters playing D&D" series.

I feel like it's almost impossible to adapt what makes a tabletop RPG special in a big budget film/TV show. Such a tough needle to thread. But fuck it, shoot your shot I guess.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Honestly, if they do this using an actual game of DnD as a framing device, this tone could work, especially if shit gets more serious as the game goes on after a character death or full party kill. Otherwise, it's a pass from me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Dungeons and Dragons.

Trying to adapt something this is like a Sisyphean task with how everyone who is a fan has expectations for what this should be that are going to be wildly different from other groups of fans.
when that happens, I think it's best to state that there will be media in various genres

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely budget, harder to get something like Dragonborn or something that would require constant cg.
They can afford it if they want to. The MCU has tons of CGI characters.

If they can't afford to set it apart from all the other generic fantasy settings, then the studio shouldn't be surprised when it bombs.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
They can afford it if they want to. The MCU has tons of CGI characters.

If they can't afford to set it apart from all the other generic fantasy settings, then the studio shouldn't be surprised when it bombs.

The MCU movies cost 200-300m a piece, and that's excluding the Avengers movies which cost more. I doubt this has quite that budget.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to be open-minded and assume (hope) that after seeing that teaser that the film's going to be tongue in cheek. If not? ooof!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, were they recommended those reels by that High Speed / Slo-Mo camera guy that keeps asking celebs to pose for his high speed robot camera on red carpet events, too?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
When they found a style they stick to it and did it x6

Slow mo turning. Slow mo turning for everyone

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
That's some big names, can't wait for it. They streaming it on Twitch, YouTube, or their own platform? What campaign setting are they using, I'm down for some Forgotten Realms honestly, but who knows. DM Hugh Grant will definitely deliver.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Hugh Grant? LOL wtf now I have to see this

Yepppppp

Gotta say years back (late 90s early 0s if I saw it had Huge Grant in it i would have steered clear when he just a bumbling english posh man but his recent performances have been stella and I'll watch something just because he is in it now

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Yepppppp

Gotta say years back (late 90s early 0s if I saw it had Huge Grant in it i would have steered clear when he just a bumbling english posh man but his recent performances have been stella and I'll watch something just because he is in it now

Yeah he was brilliant in Paddington 2, basically playing himself for laughs.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Justice Smith got the best agent in the game. Bro absolutely sucks at acting but keeps getting roles in bug films. His representatives better be getting at least 30%