• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I know absolutely nothing about D&D, but those costumes remind me a lot of the Warcraft movie and I thought that was a ton of fun (definitely not the greatest movie, but sword and sorcery stuff is almost non-existent, so I'll take what I can get). If this is anything like that, I'm in.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
This has the same directors as Game Night which is excellent so I'm cautiously optimistic

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I know absolutely nothing about D&D, but those costumes remind me a lot of the Warcraft movie and I thought that was a ton of fun (definitely not the greatest movie, but sword and sorcery stuff is almost non-existent, so I'll take what I can get). If this is anything like that, I'm in.

Warcraft is an example of when bad editing can do a lot of damage.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I still don't quite grasp what this movie is gonna be like. Like totally it's obviously not super serious but dunno need a trailer. No reason to judge now though especially off that which is just some marketing.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Are they playing this straight as a D&D movie? Or is there some kind of satire involved here?

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite grasp what this movie is gonna be like. Like totally it's obviously not super serious but dunno need a trailer. No reason to judge now though especially off that which is just some marketing.
I get the feeling it's not going to be too far off in tone from the 2000 film. A jokey romp that doesn't take anything seriously. It was probably pitched as the fantasy version of a Marvel movie.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
oof. This one has dead on arrival all over it. D&D had always struggled to transition to TV/film, this one looks like one more to the pile.

Are they going to treat somewhat seriously this time?

"There was a lot of laughs. The way that I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. it's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there." And continued with, "I think we got a good shot and John and John are killer guys. They know comedy and they know heart and we had a great cast.."

nope. Dungeons and Dragons meets Monty Python, Princess Bride, and The Goonies is what you're getting here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is from the Game Night team btw. Was surprised at how well mounted that film was.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Hugh Grant being in a D&D film is so unexpected to me that it just made me bust out laughing.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling it's not going to be too far off in tone from the 2000 film. A jokey romp that doesn't take anything seriously. It was probably pitched as the fantasy version of a Marvel movie.
They should've rebooted the cartoon and aimed for less Marvel and more the new Jumanji movies.

This is from the Game Night team btw (though they didn't write that one, which might have helped).
This certainly makes me a lot more interested.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Announcing their cast with the same production values and tone of a jokey intro sequence in a low budget actual play podcast.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a random screen meant to draw eyes of the passerbys on a convention center floor. Hardly indicative of what the film will look or be like, costume design aside.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This is from the Game Night team btw. Was surprised at how well mounted that film was.

This has the same directors as Game Night which is excellent so I'm cautiously optimistic
in in in in in

This is just a random screen meant to draw eyes of the passerbys on a convention center floor. Hardly indicative of what the film will look or be like, costume design aside.
a renn faire maybe? edit: nvm it says SDCC 2022

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This somehow looks worse than the 2000 films.

And Michelle Rodriguez once again playing the same character she has been for over 20 years...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
shouldnt some of them have like green or blue skin, or am i thinking of star trek