• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
ep8i6Pf.png

A toast....to gamers!

Oct 27, 2017
Lucasfilm usually imposes restrictions on what you can tell, for example things set after the most recent movies are usually off limits
True, but we still have the 30 year gap between the OT and ST which is a pretty sizable time frame to do whatever you want in. Not to mention these will likely be small scale stories not involving any main characters

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
They haven't outright said if these are canon or not but this paragraph speaks volumes, I think

image0.png

From a larger article here: https://www.starwars.com/news/anime-expo-lite-star-wars-visions
With a project like this, canon is kinda the last thing I care about. Go all out and make whatever the hell you want. And at worst it's probably effectively "Legends", where you can kinda treat it however you want.

It would be nice if this led to full-length canon content though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
They haven't outright said if these are canon or not but this paragraph speaks volumes, I think

image0.png

From a larger article here: https://www.starwars.com/news/anime-expo-lite-star-wars-visions

Honestly could not care less if they are "canon" or not. I think the Transformers franchise has beaten that out of me over the years. Frankly, it's probably best that they aren't, as that would probably greatly restrict the stories they could tell.

Who knows. Maybe they'll end up being like the Myths and Fables books, which tell larger-than-life stories that are in-universe legends, where bits and pieces maybe true, just greatly exaggerated.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can already tell I'm going to like this *way* more than 90% of SW media out there, movies included.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is successful enough for some of the shorts so they can be turned into a full series.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Now this is what I like to see
With a project like this, canon is kinda the last thing I care about. Go all out and make whatever the hell you want. And at worst it's probably effectively "Legends", where you can kinda treat it however you want.

It would be nice if this led to full-length canon content though.
Yeah forget canon, it's way too much an anchor these days(looks at games)

Galactic

Oct 29, 2017
Florida, USA
Oh man I'm all over this right now. All of the previews look amazing, and I'm def looking forward to the ones by Trigger. My friends are all flipping out over the one that's just Lio Fotia but in Star Wars lmao

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly could not care less if they are "canon" or not. I think the Transformers franchise has beaten that out of me over the years. Frankly, it's probably best that they aren't, as that would probably greatly restrict the stories they could tell.

Who knows. Maybe they'll end up being like the Myths and Fables books, which tell larger-than-life stories that are in-universe legends, where bits and pieces maybe true, just greatly exaggerated.
Yup, don't get me wrong, I don't mind either. It'll probably end up in that same quasi-canon space as the LEGO series/specials and the FACPOV books, regardless.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorta surprised that Mappa isn't involved considering how many projects they seem to like to get their hands on these days lol...

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely stoked for this. Especially the one by Trigger.

I don't look forward however to the loads of awful nerds saying "this isn't Star Wars" that'll inevitably happen.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Japan -> Star Wars -> Japan.
it's beautiful, it rhymes. That being said I love everything about it. Hope we'll see Trigger's signature crossed arms pose.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck Kinema Citrus (Revue Starlight) is doing one!? That's going to be insane

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine ever giving a fuck about canon lol. This is gonna be great because it doesn't care about fitting into anything.
Holy fuck Kinema Citrus (Revue Starlight) is doing one!? That's going to be insane
That's my other hyped one other than the trigger shorts. Can't wait to see what'll come from it.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've come full circle
dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

This looks rad as fuck, and I wish people would stop obsessing over something arbitrary like 'canon'. Just enjoy hype shit.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This really shows that anime really blew up in the west. Back in the 90s, I couldn't have seen Disney of all entities, known so well for their own animation work, going out of their way to outsource the animations to other companies and make anime projects using the Star Wars IP.

Also wonder in a way if this is designed to be a bunch of pilots for potential full shows? Say one of these shorts gets really good reception and that studio gets booked to do a full series? Hmm.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really shows that anime really blew up in the west. Back in the 90s, I couldn't have seen Disney of all entities, known so well for their own animation work, going out of their way to outsource the animations to other companies and make anime projects using the Star Wars IP.

Also wonder in a way if this is designed to be a bunch of pilots for potential full shows? Say one of these shorts gets really good reception and that studio gets booked to do a full series? Hmm.
Disney aren't doing this though; Lucasfilm are. Lucasfilm had released Star Wars manga as early as the 90s so this isn't too surprising.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I am pumped for these, I am pumped for a second season of these, I am hopeful some are so popular they get to be their own series or movie, and I'm excited to see the coolest shit wind up getting borrowed into canon in fun ways.

WILL WE GET TOYS!?!?!?

Japan -> Star Wars -> Japan.

Incidentally, I kind of desperately want some one off Star Wars films that are just space adaptations of classic Japanese movies, the same way Kurosawa adapted a lot of Shakespeare into different eras of Japan. Gimme Jedi Harakiri, gimme bounty hunter Yojimbo, gimme Ran/Kagemusha with space ships, do freaking Hausu somehow. Do Kwaidan but with myths of the force.

Twenty Four Eyes but the time skips show how civilians lived during the last years of the republic and the final years of the empire.