• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They're very loose and messy adaptations. The first game felt like it was trying to be a sequel and a reboot at the same time and even though they've tried to course correct with the later games, some of the baggage remained. So, some characters are completely different people. The fact that every Witcher thread has people talking about Geralt being an emotionless bore should tell you everything about how different the writing is in those games.

Oh, I don't agree with that at all. The Witcher 2 is dry as hell. The third game is when they finally started moving in the direction of the books' frequently irreverent tone and restored some of Geralt's personality. It's just a shame it all leads to a final act that's pure video game schlock.

Hmm sounds like I'll have to play the games with an open mind and treat it as differently from the books as I can to enjoy it. I was already finding Thronebreaker a bit of a tone-shock at times, so I should really just approach it as separate universes. Thanks!

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The show is it's own thing based on the books, which have a very different depiction of the universe, (the easiest example being that Geralt is consistently out of work because there are barely any monsters left vs the games where every few feet there's a monster for him to fight or multiple contracts in a village). People expecting this to be inspired by the games are gonna be hella disappointed by default.

costume design is really not a book vs game thing.

If the costumes look bad it won't be because it's based on the books.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Why are they showing this in the worst possible scenario. Unfortunately it looks like a nutsack.

At least do a professional photoshoot, or use production stills.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I don't agree with that at all. The Witcher 2 is dry as hell. The third game is when they finally started moving in the direction of the books' frequently irreverent tone and restored some of Geralt's personality. It's just a shame it all leads to a final act that's pure video game schlock.
I mean in the sense that Geralt feels very vulnerable compared to in TW1 and especially TW3. I remember that roleplaying a certain wa in TW2 would literally trigger death scenes because realistically Geralt wouldn't get out of those situations which is what it's like in the books.'

Why are they showing this in the worst possible scenario. Unfortunately it looks like a nutsack.

At least do a professional photoshoot, or use production stills.
This is an unauthorized leak, not an official "First Look"

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the way weird question, how are the games compared to the books? Story-wise, I mean. I'm probably one of the few people who read the books but hasn't gotten around to the games yet(minus Thronebreaker).

Inevitably weaker, like all adaptations from books. But it's a neat 'what if' continuation from where the books end. However, each game's story is rather different from one another, with the first game straying very much from the books in its plot with a few minor call backs to some of its concepts, the second being more political like the novels and I feel the third game becomes a good mix of utilizing the what was captured in short stories, novels and the first game. TW3 is a very good culmination of everything Witcher.

I personally think all of the stories from the three games are good, but they're very different and take from the books in different ways.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Game of thrones is the new bar for TV show fantasy armor. This shit looks like larp costumes.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Why the wrinkles??

By the way weird question, how are the games compared to the books? Story-wise, I mean. I'm probably one of the few people who read the books but hasn't gotten around to the games yet(minus Thronebreaker).
Very good. The books are good, but they aren't extraordinary in any sense; they offer great world building (same as the games since they rely on that), have a somewhat simple writing style that isn't too convoluted but just keeps you going. In short: they offer very entertaining stories and many if not all sidequests in The Witcher follow this example in just telling good stories. Especially the main stories of Hearts of Stone, and Blood and Wine. You should definitely play the games if you liked the books.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
While I know this is still based on the books and not the game, I have to ask.......... did they play the game?

Like, the game had some fantastic designs to pick from.

I don't even know what this is...
I don't remember the books specifiying anything else than the black color and the big wings on the helmets. This looks just wrong.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The design doesn't look great but you can't really judge a shitty camera shot in comparison to how it will look on set, under lighting with a top end camera (probably something like the Alexa 65) and final post production.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm sounds like I'll have to play the games with an open mind and treat it as differently from the books as I can to enjoy it. I was already finding Thronebreaker a bit of a tone-shock at times, so I should really just approach it as separate universes. Thanks!

I'd argue that the game's actually do a pretty solid job of maintaining the spirit of the books despite some liberties. Though I have only read the two short story compilations, I can't comment on the later novels(that admittedly are where the most divergent elements occur), but there is a unique charm to the game universe that is grounded and pays tribute that shouldn't exactly cause heavy concern.

Keep in mind that given the role-playing nature of the games, you are somewhat free to have Geralt commit to being somewhat empathetic, distant, or harshly unsympathetic dependent on decisions made throughout the games. The tone of the character and the responses can be very different. This isn't a Bioware title with social meters to min/max, but your choices will have an impact on how things unfold, from planting seeds that affect the narrative, to banal interactions that come and go. Geralt can kind of be molded to respond and act as you wish in a sense.

But yes, some characters are a bit different than you may know. But if you keep an open-mind and take the trilogy for what it is, there is an impressive amount of effort put into crafting the three games that pays homeage to the source, but molds a tapestry all its own. The three games very much feel tied together in a way that is impressive. You need not look hard for differences from the books, but you'll be missing out if your attention is clouded by expectations.

Oh and the Witcher 1 intro cinematic does an impressive job practically transforming its sequence from the page to the monitor from that very first short story.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
This is how the Nilfgaardian army looked in the Czech version of the Witcher books (released way before the games, just for clarity) - they should be looking like the royal armor used in Holy Roman Empire... not like a ballsack with penis helmets
366_11_b.jpg

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
That's the best way to approach it. It's hard at first and becomes impossible to treat them as the same universe by the third game where the White Frost is revealed to be some kind of interdimensional planet freezing magic ... thing. Basically a chilly Galactus.

I mean in the sense that Geralt feels very vulnerable compared to in TW1 and especially TW3. I remember that roleplaying a certain wa in TW2 would literally trigger death scenes because realistically Geralt wouldn't get out of those situations which is what it's like in the books.'
Oh, sure. I don't read the books for the action bits, so I wasn't bothered by most power level discrepancies. Book Geralt can be ridiculously strong from time to time, he just tends to wear whatever the opposite of plot armor might be.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is how the Nilfgaardian army looked in the Czech version of the Witcher books (released way before the games, just for clarity) - they should be looking like the royal armor used in Holy Roman Empire... not like a ballsack with penis helmets
366_11_b.jpg

Which is ultimately just an interpretation by an artist. The way they're actually described in the book is vague. There is no way they "should" look like.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If it's as funny as the original Polish film, it will be a great watch.

I've gathered with some friends (we all have readed all the Geralt saga books) to watch the film some years ago and we were really impressed at how they translated the most epic scenes in the books into unintended comedy.

I don't have any hope in Netflix doing a great adaptation, but I want to have at least some good comedy material.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well they sure as shit shouldn't look this terrible

They look fine to me and quite fitting of what Nilfgaardians are to me. Certainly more interesting than something that could have been more generic, such another utilization of Roman armor for the big empire in a fantasy as depicted in the illustration posted earlier.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's like you all just now had the realization that a massive fantasy series on Netflix would barely eclipse CW superhero show level production values. I was just about out once Cavill was in, personally. My expectations are really damn low.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying that, but was there ever an instance where Sapkowski described it in more detail than simply "black armor"? I mean, I get it, and I bet that everyone's imagination defaulted to standard plate armor, but there really isn't much to tell us what it should look like.
Hell, even Geralt's costume descriptions dissolve into vagueness after the original short story put him in an outfit that would make Rob Halford blush.

Oct 27, 2017
Just put that clown ass Geralt in a set of that armor and they'll cancel each other out and look amazing. I think that's how it works.

Or maybe we're missing the context of that armor. Like maybe it's dried magma camouflage. Or it got really wet.

We could also be missing the context of that geralt. Maybe he's supposed to be wearing a wig. Like as a disguise. And he takes it off to reveal slightly shorter white hair that doesn't look like a wig.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just put that clown ass Geralt in a set of that armor and they'll cancel each other out and look amazing. I think that's how it works.

Or maybe we're missing the context of that armor. Like maybe it's dried magma camouflage. Or it got really wet.

We could also be missing the context of that geralt. Maybe he's supposed to be wearing a wig. Like as a disguise. And he takes it off to reveal slightly shorter white hair that doesn't look like a wig.
Context is important. Maybe its a roque squad and has different armor to blend into the forest more. I dont know lore wise thats a thing.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Has anyone here read the books? I read them in Spanish ( best translation after the original in polish); and the Nilfgardian were supposed to have an imposing and terrifyng armor.

So they are being accurate.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why some are bringing up that the show isn't going to be like the games.

You lot do know that the Nilfgaardian armour sets from the games didn't just come from nowhere? They're much more consistent and they fit in well with what is established, instead of this crinkly bin bag.
There is no excuse, it's a total design failure.

Has anyone here read the books? I read them in Spanish ( best translation after the original in polish); and the Nilfgardian were supposed to have an imposing and terrifyng armor.

So they are being accurate.
It's not accurate.

Last edited:

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
It's like you all just now had the realization that a massive fantasy series on Netflix would barely eclipse CW superhero show level production values. I was just about out once Cavill was in, personally. My expectations are really damn low.

What Netflix exclusive shows have low production values?

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
People thinking that post magic will save this...

Yeah about that.

They hired the fight choreographers from Game of Thrones, why the fuck didn't they hire the costume designer as well? Go and tell me that behind the scenes of GoT looks bad. It doesn't, the costumes look great. These costumes look bad because they are bad.

The game's have quite realistic gambesons and plate armour. The TV show has discount orc shit that would struggle to fit in with LotR.

Hype extinguished. My hype deflated when they said they won't be adapting "A Little Sacrifice and "A Grain of Truth", two of the best short stories. My hype deflated when they booted Millie Brady. My hype deflated when we first saw Geralt and that god-awful wig. At least we still have The Last Kingdom, which is getting better every season.

Here's the armour they could have used for the average grunt, and the average knight. You know, quite authentic gambesons, chainmail and plate armour. Not a fan of horned helmets in the games are they were never used historically, but everything else is on point.

latest
latest
latest

CEZoK8E.jpg

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Was going to say won't they CGI them to make the look all fancy, but then I saw the Redanian Armour, which looks amazing as is, so now I don't know.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they usually look terrible! who knows what they're going to look like when it airs. For example, this is a pile of bodies from Game of Thrones

fSlpOQE.png
I think you're probably right. There's something along the lines of soot. And the crest is tarnished in a way that makes it look like maybe these are soldiers that a monster killed the Witcher is tracking?

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Lol well that looks pretty awful. Has nothing to do with the quality of picture, the artistic choice just looks like shit. Post ain't helping that

Lol what low grade Netflix shows you watching.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
ehhh i'm fine with it. the only problem i have (from what i have read about this show) is henry cavill's casting. i am more referring to the stupid screen test small clip they showed first of him in costume. the one where he walks towards the camera, mean mugs the camera, and drinks while keeping a look on the camera...like that isn't who geralt is...that is the thing that has me worried about the show.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're probably right. There's something along the lines of soot. And the crest is tarnished in a way that makes it look like maybe these are soldiers that a monster killed the Witcher is tracking?
I can see that, looks like it's going for crushed and burnt look, that'll get CGI'd after the fact to look more like that.
Hopefully we get a trailer or something soon.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, it's blowing my mind that like noone in this thread seems to know what post production is.
I think people understand that stuff always ends up looking better in post. Outside of lighting, I really doubt they are going to spend all that money to have cgi over every Nilfgaardian soldier's armor. It just looks like a bad looking design choice. Look no further than the Temerian armor for comparison.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Which is ultimately just an interpretation by an artist. The way they're actually described in the book is vague. There is no way they "should" look like.

Still miles better and realistic than the "oh hi, we are the very stereotypical and very bad guys from a bad high fantasy TV show" armor which we can see in the photos and videos so far.. just because there is magic, (very few) dragons and elves that doesn't mean that Witcher isn't realistic when it comes to how its world is heavily influenced by medieval Europe (and other cultures).. even armor in LoTR is now looking far more realistic than that of NG soldiers or who ever that is from NG, and Witcher setting/world is more realistic than that of Tolkien's work.. it's just a horrible design - please show me from our history where some country had soldiers wear something like the show's version of NG armor.. NG aren't some kind of alien invader, they are pretty much Holy Roman Empire + some parts of other countries - if they are trying to make NG the "nazis" of the show, that is fucking stupid.. even though I don't like how much TW3 whitewashed the NG compared to books and even previous games, they aren't the villain/bad guy(s) of the novels - like almost everything in the books, they are too more grey in their morality, culture, politics, etc..

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couple of thoughts:

#1 People who keep bringing up that they don't look like they did in the games need to understand that the show isn't based on the games so what they looked like there isn't really relevant. (Unless you're merely saying that you liked the games' armour design better.)

#2 This sort of thing always looks way different on camera and with proper lighting. Costume designers are mainly concerned with whether their costumes look good on film, not in selfies.

#3 Could also be that the background extras simply get less detailed/well-made versions of the armour since they won't be as close to the camera.

#4 All that being said, I do think that the underlying design (regardless of build quality, materials, etc.) isn't all that great. It doesn't look terrible but it just doesn't seem very believable or practical to me.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
That looks insanely fake compared to what's in the final product. Also, paparazzi shots with a professional camera=/=a literal actor's cell-phone footage.

Right, but the designs are still good. The other leaked photos with shitty cameras for other costume stuff for this look fine (the Temerian armour looks good even though it looks "fake" and plastic in the picture). It's the wrinkly raisin/scrotum that just looks ugly. The design itself, with the weird wrinkles makes it look weird and silly. It isn't a case of it being just a base for the actors to wear with CG markers on it so they can Iron Man up every footsoldier and extra. It's just an ugly design.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at some of the other pics in the thread I'm getting a very strong 80's fantasy movie vibe from this.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post will make these look great. It looks more or less like it should.

Edit: *reads people's points*
Y'all all right. This is trash, I have seen the light.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
While I know this is still based on the books and not the game, I have to ask.......... did they play the game?

Like, the game had some fantastic designs to pick from.

I don't even know what this is...

Yes, I'm sure CDProject wouldn't mind that they "picked" their designs, totally...lol

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Context is important. Maybe its a roque squad and has different armor to blend into the forest more. I dont know lore wise thats a thing.

Probably the most sensible explanation for the armor's aesthetics that I've seen in this thread, could well be that this is a special Nilfgaard unit that uses unconventional armor.