• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the article

Joker appears in the new film during a sequence set on a ruined Earth after the alien tyrant Darkseid invades and decimates the planet. It's a dream sequence, a psychic vision, experienced by Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne that reveals what will happen if the superheroes fail to stop the onslaught. Joker is sort of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, supplying motivation through terror.
Idiotic

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's disingenuous to say that this is the director's truth versus the studio's lies when people were eagerly repeating the studio line when Snyder was still involved with the film and then they are now again that he's working with them again on this product. WB only lies when Snyder isn't involved apparently.

A ton of fans insisted that Snyder brought Whedon onboard and oversaw all his scenes and the 2 months of reshoots wasn't a big deal and it wasn't until the 11th hour where they decided to go in another direction and have Whedon rework the whole film after Snyder left but now Snyder had his movie stolen and WB used his daughter's death as an excuse and the handful of scenes that Whedon did is now supposedly 90% of the movie.

Obviously Snyder had a lot of footage shot and just looking at an article of scenes and storylines that were shot but later cut makes it clear that a lot of stuff didn't make it into the theatrical cut or were heavily altered to make work. I just find that coming into this situation to try to figure out what the fuck actually happened, I have got wildly varying and even contradictory information, and sometimes that info is coming from the exact same fans saying something completely opposite a few months ago, so forgive me if I'm a little confused and annoyed by the whole thing.
Fans just drank the koolaid of whatever WB was trying to sell at the time, obviously people wanted to believe what was being sold. But even then there were rumours that Whedon was reshaping the entire movie before release. Like I said, the footage is 50% Whedon at most. But 100% of the movie was reshaped which is obvious when you see the final film. You don't replace an entire musical score when you are trying to adhere to the original director's vision. John Shnepp even said it (RIP):

(couldnt find the original)

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
And pretty in line with how the rest of the cast was on set too. They constantly talked about how r rated they were behind the scenes. Jai Courtney talked about chasing Ayer around naked, Cara D shared some weird Snapchat of the cast on a bus, will Smith holding a phone they all were huddled around laughing at fake nudes of Margot (???) Like the entire cast did weird shit lol. Ayer has said a lot was exaggerated. Like telephone stuff gets made up along the way. All media attention is on the iconic Joker role and especially a method actor like Leto so of course that's all you're going to see is that and questions about it.

Hell even for The Little things, disingenuous headlines were made about Leto but if you read the actual story they asked Denzel if Leto had any antics on set and he said no he didn't do anything besides be respectful of each other. Denzel countered that he actually stalked outside Jared's apartment. But that's not the headline the headline ends up being stuff like "Denzel doesn't take Leto's shit!" Uhhh ok?

Not trying to be so defensive it's just annoying seeing people fall for dumb entertainment/tabloid media headlines, exaggerations, agendas, etc.
They totally played up Leto's "pranks" with all the cast talking about all the pranks he played. It's not like it was all concocted by the media for clicks, it basically seemed to be a part of the promo tour for the movie.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
The Snyder cut is going to be the same story as the theatrical movie, just darker, dumber, and twice as long.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stinks of desperation.

Leto, you won't ever be a good Joker so stop trying.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
The Snyder cut is going to be the same story as the theatrical movie, just darker, dumber, and twice as long.
i dont think dumber is correct honestly

imagine if wb took man of steel or bvs and got another director to add scenes with quips and inspiring messaging
i would say those movies would end up being way dumber just for the fact they're shoehorning things in that never made sense in the stories zack made

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
When all the smoke clears this is going to end up as a case study on why studios shouldn't listen to loud minority fan wankery...

Gonna lost all that money. Without question. I'm still amazed there were people out there who saw ... something?.. in this flick to be redeemed. To fight for at all for any reason. After MoS-BVS-SS-JL all basically in a row being ... at best lackluster in the theaters. I know they want that sweet sweet Marvel gravy train but whats it gonna take to roll everything back to square 1 and start right? Like... just to Kingdom Come or something and ignore all this other horse shit.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The visual resemblance to Marilyn Manson and timing of this announcement were...ill-advised.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I think it's disingenuous to say that this is the director's truth versus the studio's lies when people were eagerly repeating the studio line when Snyder was still involved with the film and then they are now again that he's working with them again on this product. WB only lies when Snyder isn't involved apparently.

A ton of fans insisted that Snyder brought Whedon onboard and oversaw all his scenes and the 2 months of reshoots wasn't a big deal and it wasn't until the 11th hour where they decided to go in another direction and have Whedon rework the whole film after Snyder left but now Snyder had his movie stolen and WB used his daughter's death as an excuse and the handful of scenes that Whedon did is now supposedly 90% of the movie.

Obviously Snyder had a lot of footage shot and just looking at an article of scenes and storylines that were shot but later cut makes it clear that a lot of stuff didn't make it into the theatrical cut or were heavily altered to make work. I just find that coming into this situation to try to figure out what the fuck actually happened, I have got wildly varying and even contradictory information, and sometimes that info is coming from the exact same fans saying something completely opposite a few months ago, so forgive me if I'm a little confused and annoyed by the whole thing.
Whatever Snyder does wrong is fake news it's always someone else to blame and that sounds awfully familiar to another cult.

I am thankful to HBO to finally expose the false god.

What excuses are gonna be made for the Snyder cut?

It's a shame really, how so many people are latching onto the Snyder DCU when there are dozens of better writers and directors who can do it better. DC material deserves better than this.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
i dont think dumber is correct honestly

imagine if wb took man of steel or bvs and got another director to add scenes with quips and inspiring messaging
i would say those movies would end up being way dumber just for the fact they're shoehorning things in that never made sense in the stories zack made
I think its unfair to reduce Whedon's input to just "quips and inspiring messaging". He was tasked with putting lipstick on a pig and the fact that he turned Snyder's bullshit into a mostly coherent movie is impressive. His rehabilitation of Superman was the best part of that movie and that something Snyder could never have done.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
His rehabilitation of Superman was the best part of that movie and that something Snyder could never have done.
ok yeah, if the best part of your movie is something another director did its not looking great for your cut of it

also i will say snyder seems to have learnt no lessons from what people don't like about his movies
already talking about a sequel he wanted to make where the joker kills robin
i dont care how well known your characters are, rushing through content just so you can get to the cool parts has to be some of the worst world building

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
already talking about a sequel he wanted to make where the joker kills robin

Robin was already dead in BvS - there's a scene with Robin's costume visible, all damaged and with Joker's "ha ha" writings all over it. Also, the Wayne's manor is already burnt down in that movie. That's one of the reasons why Batman is so jaded.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
image0.jpg

😂😂😂😂
So this isn't the original Snyder Cut after all?

rac

Oct 25, 2017
Robin was already dead in BvS - there's a scene with Robin's costume visible, all damaged and with Joker's "ha ha" writings all over it. Also, the Wayne's manor is already burnt down in that movie. That's one of the reasons why Batman is so jaded.
ah i see it was talking about flashbacks
kinda makes my point though in how snyder just continuously rushes through story beats to get to cool imagery

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I think its unfair to reduce Whedon's input to just "quips and inspiring messaging". He was tasked with putting lipstick on a pig and the fact that he turned Snyder's bullshit into a mostly coherent movie is impressive. His rehabilitation of Superman was the best part of that movie and that something Snyder could never have done.
How much did you love flash face planting into wonder woman's breasts? Whedon brought what the movie really needed. /s

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much did you love flash face planting into wonder woman's breasts? Whedon brought what the movie really needed. /s

For every dumb moment like that and "do you bleed?", there's another legitimately great moment like Superman showing off and calling Flash a slowpoke or Batman giving a pretty damn inspiring speech about focusing on one thing when you're overwhelmed by everything happening at that moment.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For every dumb moment like that and "do you bleed?", there's another legitimately great moment like Superman showing off and calling Flash a slowpoke or Batman giving a pretty damn inspiring speech about focusing on one thing when you're overwhelmed by everything happening at that moment.

And then there's the shitty Russian family and superman's cgi face to destroy any goodwill.

Also doesnt help Whedon ended up cutting out all the minorities from the film.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
From the article

Joker appears in the new film during a sequence set on a ruined Earth after the alien tyrant Darkseid invades and decimates the planet. It's a dream sequence, a psychic vision, experienced by Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne that reveals what will happen if the superheroes fail to stop the onslaught. Joker is sort of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, supplying motivation through terror.

That's a, uh, choice. Not sure any version of the Joker would be my pick for that sort of plot device, but I guess if you're just blindly desperate to shoehorn the character in by any means necessary...

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly this is a genius marketing move. People always flock to anything Joker related lol

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

He removed Iris ( black woman ), removed Atom ( Asian man ), removed Cyborg's family outside of his dad, discarded various Amazonian warriors action sequences, didnt shoot the planned Martian Manhunter ( played by a black actor ) scene that was story boarded

Meanwhile all the new characters he added were white.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they're trying to milk Ledger's rendition.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
He removed Iris ( black woman ), removed Atom ( Asian man ), removed Cyborg's family outside of his dad, discarded various Amazonian warriors action sequences, didnt shoot the planned Martian Manhunter ( played by a black actor ) scene that was story boarded

Meanwhile all the new characters he added were white.
To be fair, all of those were necessary cuts based on what Whedon was tasked to do with the film. He needed to cut as many non-essential scenes as possible to get under the mandated 2-hour runtime, and cut any cameos that teased future roles/films so they would have as clean of a slate to work from as possible.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So... What are the odds the Snyder cult will be satisfied after this? I just want this whole fiasco to be over with.

Oct 8, 2019
Look at how many good Jokers there has been over the years from Cesar Romero to Alan Tudyk and now look at what Zac Snyder has unleashed upon the world. I assume this guy has just read only the Watchman and the Dark Knight Returns because "comics are for little kids and I am not a little kid" just look at what other people have created and try to be somewhere in the ballpark. That just looks boring

Feb 24, 2018
Haven't really posted or discussed the Snyder Cut myself, I can take it or leave it honestly and do think it will be bad but curious to see what they actually did and changed. Doubt it will be like the Donner Cut of Superman 2.

One thing that has been bothering me though is overreaction towards the Snyder films in regard of Superhero genre as whole, that superheroes should ONLY be silly and light and wanting superhero movies wanting to saying or tell deeper stories or even darker (since the two are exclusive to each other) = wanting angsty/Snyder like crap which... Is just silly.

It's silly to me because it's the exact opposite of what people were asking for over a decade ago when movies like X2, The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Spider-Man 2 were considered the the go to best superhero movies while people hated movies like Batman and Robin, Steel, Rise of the Silver Surfer, Green Lantern etc.

But it's also silly because it feels so reductive and dismissive of the genre as a whole instead pointing out the real issue. If you read the comics, the medium is VERY DIVERSE even excluding the non-superhero works, Superhero stories can in all shapes and forms, from small character pieces, to silly fun, to serious discussion, to epic battles etc.

Superman for example has went the full spectrum to silly fun stories like that time he fired rainbows from his fingers that made a miniature version of himself and then got jealous when the mini version was beloved... To more thought provoking and deeper stories like What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Exile, For All Seasons, Kingdom Come, Must there be a Superman?, Superman: Secret Identity. All-Star Superman, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way, For the Man Who Has Everything etc. The same goes for the Marvel side of things to and beyond the Big 2.

The simple fact is to me, Snyder, WB and the other creatives involved, made bad moves, Man of Steel is okay so mediocre while BvS is just bad and needlessly bleak, but that doesn't mean the very idea of superhero movies being deeper, thought provoking or even darker is bad, the execution was bad.

I get it people, people don't like the Snyder movies and the release of the Snyder Cut has reopened that (not helped by the harassment Snyder's more extreme fans pulled), but let's not overreact as well by dismissing the very idea that a genre can be more then just one thing because of bad examples.

Edit: Thinking about it now, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way acts as a pretty good counterpoint to the Snyder movies.

Last edited:

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
To be fair, all of those were necessary cuts based on what Whedon was tasked to do with the film. He needed to cut as many non-essential scenes as possible to get under the mandated 2-hour runtime, and cut any cameos that teased future roles/films so they would have as clean of a slate to work from as possible.

Nah, he also cut all of Cyborgs plot and relevance. It's why there like nothing Cyborg in the main cut.

I mean - I don't think you classify the only black member of the league as a necessary cut so - I don't know what there is to defend.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

But he didnt just trim. He replaced as well.
In the case of Flash and Cyborg, it irreparably destroyed their back story.

Like adding a boob joke but removing Iris is okay.

The snyder cut showing all those actors that got removed really opened my eyes. Like the trend was obvious.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Haven't really posted or discussed the Snyder Cut myself, I can take it or leave it honestly and do think it will be bad but curious to see what they actually did and changed. Doubt it will be like the Donner Cut of Superman 2.

One thing that has been bothering me though is overreaction towards the Snyder films in regard of Superhero genre as whole, that superheroes should ONLY be silly and light and wanting superhero movies wanting to saying or tell deeper stories or even darker (since the two are exclusive to each other) = wanting angsty/Snyder like crap which... Is just silly.

It's silly to me because it's the exact opposite of what people were asking for over a decade ago when movies like X2, The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Spider-Man 2 were considered the the go to best superhero movies while people hated movies like Batman and Robin, Steel, Rise of the Silver Surfer, Green Lantern etc.

But it's also silly because it feels so reductive and dismissive of the genre as a whole instead pointing out the real issue. If you read the comics, the medium is VERY DIVERSE even excluding the non-superhero works, Superhero stories can in all shapes and forms, from small character pieces, to silly fun, to serious discussion, to epic battles etc.

Superman for example has went the full spectrum to silly fun stories like that time he fired rainbows from his fingers that made a miniature version of himself and then got jealous when the mini version was beloved... To more thought provoking and deeper stories like What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Exile, For All Seasons, Kingdom Come, Must there be a Superman?, Superman: Secret Identity. All-Star Superman, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way, For the Man Who Has Everything etc. The same goes for the Marvel side of things to and beyond the Big 2.

The simple fact is to me, Snyder, WB and the other creatives involved, made bad moves, Man of Steel is okay so mediocre while BvS is just bad and needlessly bleak, but that doesn't mean the very idea of superhero movies being deeper, thought provoking or even darker is bad, the execution was bad.

I get it people, people don't like the Snyder movies and the release of the Snyder Cut has reopened that (not helped by the harassment Snyder's more extreme fans pulled), but let's not overreact as well by dismissing the very idea that a genre can be more then just one thing because of bad examples.

Edit: Thinking about it now, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way acts as a pretty good counterpoint to the Snyder movies.
The issue isn't that it's a darker take, it's that Snyder is a hack and has no idea what a "darker" take on comics is. You can even read in this excerpts about this version of the film that he has absolutely no idea about the actual characters and just wants to do "cool shit". You can do a darker take on Batman and Superman without it being, well whatever the fuck BvS was.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

Thank you

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he also cut all of Cyborgs plot and relevance. It's why there like nothing Cyborg in the main cut.

I mean - I don't think you classify the only black member of the league as a necessary cut so - I don't know what there is to defend.

If you're tasked with cutting a Justice League movie down to two hours, and the choice is between a longer but still compromised Cyborg origin story or more scenes of Batman, I think the choice is somewhat out of your hands.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss the idea that Whedon simply shifted the reduced time towards the most recognized 'Super Friends' . Even then, apparently, Cyborg just has one minute less screen time than the Flash, and 4 minutes more than Aquaman, in the Whedon cut.