• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We all have that one kooky co-worker who sends every one opened condoms and then fucks off to their private island to pretend to be a cult leader for a few weeks.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Leto, snyder, justice league movie

Honestly struggling to think of anything worse to watch

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't mind his Joker in Suicide Squad. I do think Leto has potential in that role, but he never got enough in that film and had a bad script. I'm really excited to see what he does here.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
With Joker and grey Thanos, the Knightmare scene seems like it'll be a half hour long now. All for something that should be five minutes max.

Jul 18, 2018
Yep! And he has been rewarded with more work.
That was so overblown, like a game of telephone.

He sent Margot a rat, condoms out of their wrapper (not used like so many people like to say, he's not that gross), and other "in character" gifts to other cast mates.
That was seemingly overblown. The used condom thing was total bullshit that he called out himself. He sent gag gifts if anything.

He is quite the creep in real life by many accounts though.
Well then.... interesting. So on set it was just an overblown PR stunt but in real life he was a creep. Need to read up more on this, i don't know how i missed all this

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
From what I've read. Leto has a bit of an ego.

perhaps he wasn't thrill with the accolades Joaquin Phoenix was getting for his Joker lol.

then again. No one should've been surprise that Joaquin Phoenix can be amazing at acting.

Bit of an ego? He wanted to stop the movie from being made.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

“You’ve Got to Stop This”: Jared Leto Fumed Over New ‘Joker’ Movie

Jared Leto, who played the character in 'Suicide Squad,' felt "alienated and upset" when Warner Bros. greenlit Todd Phillips' 'Joker' movie with Joaquin Phoenix.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Didn't his antics on set kind of give method acting a bad rep due to how insufferable and bizarre his actions were? There's also the fact it came across as pointless as the Joker was barely in the film.

Method acting has always had a a bit of a bad reputation, I think.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
But in all seriousness there are multiple allegations of him being a creep and not to mention the cult thing he did. Why is he still getting work?

rac

Oct 25, 2017
From the article

It's a dream sequence, a psychic vision, experienced by Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne that reveals what will happen if the superheroes fail to stop the onslaught.

its kinda sad to think thats all the thought put into it
its a dream, a psychic vision... doubt there will be any explanation at all beyond that

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
That was so overblown, like a game of telephone.

He sent Margot a rat, condoms out of their wrapper (not used like so many people like to say, he's not that gross), and other "in character" gifts to other cast mates.
And pretty in line with how the rest of the cast was on set too. They constantly talked about how r rated they were behind the scenes. Jai Courtney talked about chasing Ayer around naked, Cara D shared some weird Snapchat of the cast on a bus, will Smith holding a phone they all were huddled around laughing at fake nudes of Margot (???) Like the entire cast did weird shit lol. Ayer has said a lot was exaggerated. Like telephone stuff gets made up along the way. All media attention is on the iconic Joker role and especially a method actor like Leto so of course that's all you're going to see is that and questions about it.

Hell even for The Little things, disingenuous headlines were made about Leto but if you read the actual story they asked Denzel if Leto had any antics on set and he said no he didn't do anything besides be respectful of each other. Denzel countered that he actually stalked outside Jared's apartment. But that's not the headline the headline ends up being stuff like "Denzel doesn't take Leto's shit!" Uhhh ok?

Not trying to be so defensive it's just annoying seeing people fall for dumb entertainment/tabloid media headlines, exaggerations, agendas, etc.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
how much screen time do you think he actually get?
10 minutes? 20-30 minutes? Or more?

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Was this guy really meant to be in the original cut

He looks uh really different from the Ayer version

I assume everything with this project is "rethought with feedback from public backlash of prior projects".
I'm sure he's added and changed TONS of stuff from his "original version" and found all sorts of influences/opinions in the last few years to "improve" upon what was surely just gonna be more of the same we got last time. This time cranked up to 11.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
197.gif

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh. I hate dream sequences or series that dedicate a whole episode to something that happend in the past. It's so uninteresting most of the time.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
When kids who grew up on My Chemical Romance & 2000's-era AFI get old enough to start a band.

Ugh. I hate dream sequences or series that dedicate a whole episode to something that happend in the past. It's so uninteresting most of the time.
IDK, the majority of Batman v Superman was brainless, angsty or boring. I'll take that "Knightmare" dream sequence over watching Lois carry a Lexcorp bullet around for 3 hours any day of the week.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the SS photo of Leto's Joker, I think that the tattoos wouldn't be that dumb if weren't for the "damaged" one

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
From article Snyder.gif lol

Wait "some of his scenes"? Interesting Zack made it sound like he was only in one brief scene in another interview. Still, only 5min of additional photography, does he make up all that?
I feel like I've been gaslit on what is going on with this movie every step of the way by Snyder, his fans, and WB before the theatrical cut even released. Even now it's like "There are no reshoots. The Snyder Cut was a complete thing in the can that was perfect the way it was and Snyder had hours of footage," to "It's only 5 minutes of additional photography. Oh and they added Leto who might not have been in before apparently. And there might be multiple Joker scenes but we won't confirm how many of those minutes are this cameo, but also there have been Affleck, Cavill, Miller, Fisher, Manganiello, Heard, and Lennix all also doing additional scenes."

I'm reading through the wikipedia entries to make sense of this all and supposedly Joss Whedon's version was only given $25 Million to complete the movie with 2 months of reshoots, but the Snyder Cut was estimated to cost $30 Million to finish post production, yet the budget is $70 Million for only 4-5 additional minutes of photography? So like $10 Million per additional minute?

Now this is an interesting section and maybe someone could help me parse this to figure out what the truth is since not everyone could be correct at once:
Whedon received a screenwriting credit on the film alongside Chris Terrio,[106]​ while Snyder received sole director's credit.[1]​ In an interview, producer Charles Roven said: "Let's just say 80, 85 percent of the movie is what was originally shot."[107]​ Conversely, Snyder estimates that only a fourth of his material was used in the theatrical version based on what he has been told of the theatrical cut, as he has not watched it.[2]​ Cinematographer Fabian Wagner estimates that only 10% of the original footage shot by him and Snyder were used in the final cut.[108]​
So producer Charles Roven says 80-85% of the theatrical cut is what was originally shot. At 120 minutes that would put it at 96-102 minutes.

Snyder estimates that "only 1/4 of his material was used" based on what he had been told. Apparently the "Snyder Cut" was supposed to be 214 minutes long:
And the assembly cut is supposed to be around 5 hours long so that would mean that the theatrical cut used 53 -75 minutes of his footage, by Snyder's estimate.

Cinematographer Fabian Wagner estimates "only 10% of the original footage shot by him and Snyder were used" which would put it at about 21-30 minutes of footage. By the way, "10% of the original footage" =/= "only 10% of the theatrical release is what Snyder shot" like I see so many fans claim that 90% of the theatrical Justice League was made by Whedon.

If it is true that Whedon wrote 80 pages for theatrical release (I can only find one singular NYT article that mentions this in all the wikipedia articles on the Justice League and the author doesn't cite a source) and that translates to about 80 minutes, that would still only mean that Whedon's reshoots made up 66% of the movie.

One potential way I think I might be able to reconcile some of these numbers is if Snyder's quote is referring to 1/4 of the theatrical cut is his footage, which would mean that 30 minutes of the 120 minute theatrical cut is his footage. That would be close to the 30 minutes of the 5 hour assembly cut that Wagner may be referencing with his 10% quote. If Whedon had 80 minutes of the theatrical cut that were his, that would still not account for 10 minutes, but regardless of if that last number was true, it would at least line up more closely with Snyder and Wagner's statements leaving only Roven as the odd man out. 80-90 minutes reshot on $25 Million is another detail that seems difficult to make sense of, not to mention only 30 minutes of Snyder's 240 minute version having some VFX done but it only costing $70 Million (which includes the 4 minutes of additional photography) to complete.

Thinkingemoji.jpg

No wonder some fans have dedicated themselves to decipher this mess of behind the scenes info and even then they probably just cherry pick what helps prop up their narrative.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I feel like I've been gaslit on what is going on with this movie every step of the way by Snyder, his fans, and WB before the theatrical cut even released. Even now it's like "There are no reshoots. The Snyder Cut was a complete thing in the can that was perfect the way it was and Snyder had hours of footage," to "It's only 5 minutes of additional photography. Oh and they added Leto who might not have been in before apparently. And there might be multiple Joker scenes but we won't confirm how many of those minutes are this cameo, but also there have been Affleck, Cavill, Miller, Fisher, Manganiello, Heard, and Lennix all also doing additional scenes."

I'm reading through the wikipedia entries to make sense of this all and supposedly Joss Whedon's version was only given $25 Million to complete the movie with 2 months of reshoots, but the Snyder Cut was estimated to cost $30 Million to finish post production, yet the budget is $70 Million for only 4-5 additional minutes of photography? So like $10 Million per additional minute?

Now this is an interesting section and maybe someone could help me parse this to figure out what the truth is since not everyone could be correct at once:

So producer Charles Roven says 80-85% of the theatrical cut is what was originally shot. At 120 minutes that would put it at 96-102 minutes.

Snyder estimates that "only 1/4 of his material was used" based on what he had been told. Apparently the "Snyder Cut" was supposed to be 214 minutes long:

And the assembly cut is supposed to be around 5 hours long so that would mean that the theatrical cut used 53 -75 minutes of his footage, by Snyder's estimate.

Cinematographer Fabian Wagner estimates "only 10% of the original footage shot by him and Snyder were used" which would put it at about 21-30 minutes of footage. By the way, "10% of the original footage" =/= "only 10% of the theatrical release is what Snyder shot" like I see so many fans claim that 90% of the theatrical Justice League was made by Whedon.

If it is true that Whedon wrote 80 pages for theatrical release (I can only find one singular NYT article that mentions this in all the wikipedia articles on the Justice League and the author doesn't cite a source) and that translates to about 80 minutes, that would still only mean that Whedon's reshoots made up 66% of the movie.

One potential way I think I might be able to reconcile some of these numbers is if Snyder's quote is referring to 1/4 of the theatrical cut is his footage, which would mean that 30 minutes of the 120 minute theatrical cut is his footage. That would be close to the 30 minutes of the 5 hour assembly cut that Wagner may be referencing with his 10% quote. If Whedon had 80 minutes of the theatrical cut that were his, that would still not account for 10 minutes, but regardless of if that last number was true, it would at least line up more closely with Snyder and Wagner's statements leaving only Roven as the odd man out. 80-90 minutes reshot on $25 Million is another detail that seems difficult to make sense of, not to mention only 30 minutes of Snyder's 240 minute version having some VFX done but it only costing $70 Million (which includes the 4 minutes of additional photography) to complete.

Thinkingemoji.jpg

No wonder some fans have dedicated themselves to decipher this mess of behind the scenes info and even then they probably just cherry pick what helps prop up their narrative.
The Directors Guild wouldn't let Snyder get away with getting sole credit as director with that little of the movie actually being directed by him.

I think it's more likely that Snyder is just full of shit.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017

Thinkingemoji.jpg

Simple recap
WB originally said Whedon only did minor reshoot and was finishing Zacks movie. They lied for PR.
Turns out Whedon wrote at least 80 pages and nearly 50% of the film is compromised of Whedon Footage (easily identifiable due to the low quality of Whedon's shots)
The other 50% that is Zack's is heavily truncated, some so much so that it bears little resemblance to what he originally shot. Further complicated by scenes that are basically frankensteined by splicing in Whedon reshoots with Zack footage)
You can debate about numbers or percentages, but the 2017 movie bears little resemblance to his movie even the basic story framework is similar. The 2017 cut is a Joss Whedon/WB movie.
Zack's cut when leaving was 214 minutes with unfinished effects.
Zack expanded his cut to 4 hours as well as doing some additional photography (new scene and a few things he wasnt able to finish filming originally)
30M-70M (hard to find a real number) is for finishing all effects, finishing score, etc.
Zack is also removing footage he shot himself that was written by Geoff Johns and replacing it with scenes he shot with his original script as he confirmed he filmed his script scenes even though Geoff Johns gave him rewrites on set.
There is probably about 3 and a half hours of new footage in the movie.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Simple recap
WB originally said Whedon only did minor reshoot and was finishing Zacks movie. They lied.
Turns out Whedon wrote at least 80 pages and nearly 50% of the film is compromised of Whedon Footage
The other 50% that is Zack's is heavily truncated, some so much so that it bears little resemblance to what he originally shot.
You can debate about numbers or percentages, but the 2017 movie bears little resemblance to his movie
Zack's cut when leaving was 214 minutes with unfinished effects.
Zack expanded his cut to 4 hours as well as doing some additional photography (new scene and a few things he wasnt able to finish filming originally)
70M is for finishing all effects, finishing score, etc.
Zack is also removing footage he shot himself that was written by Geoff Johns and replacing it with scenes he shot with his original script.
There is probably about 3 and a half hours of new footage in the movie.
So he removed all scenes that were written by Geoff Johns but also adding new Joker scenes and other stuff and this only is supposed to account for 4-5 additional minutes?

If they lied about the original Whedon reshoots, why would I believe there isn't more lying going on now?

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
so this is the same joker, but snyder has the gift of hindsight and people making fun of his stupid joker

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
So he removed all scenes that were written by Geoff Johns but also adding new Joker scenes and other stuff and this only is supposed to account for 4-5 additional minutes?

If they lied about the original Whedon reshoots, why would I believe there isn't more lying going on now?
They lied for PR because they didn't want Zack's movie and wanted a "Marvel" tone. WB used the excuse of Snyders daughter dying to remake his movie. The 4-5 minutes is only for new scenes shot in October last year. There is 3+ hours that Snyder shot that were not used in the 2017 movie, and the supposed 70M is covering that, not just the 4-5 minutes.

As for who is lying, you're free to believe the corporation over the director I guess. But all the proof is in the 2017 movie, you can see exactly who did what based on the footage, not to mention there is plenty of leaked deleted scenes, screen shots, etc, that prove the 2017 movie is not the movie that he was making.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
DGA guidelines would mandate that for Whedon to get sole director credit, he would need to have directed at least 40% of the final movie.

That's what happened with Superman II. Donner was fired when the movie was around 75% shot and Lester was brought on, but for Lester to get full credit, he had to reshoot most of the movie (he needed over 40%).

So Whedon could not have shot more then 40% of the final movie for the reshoots, otherwise he would have full director credit.

The Director's Guild doesn't mess around. I will trust them.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
DGA credit isn't that simple.

"A Director who has directed one hundred percent (100%) of the scheduled principal photography of a motion picture may not be replaced except for gross willful misconduct."

Snyder completed Principal Photography.

Snyder's daughters suicide was the opening for WB to do as they please with the movie without having to deal with him and used this event to push him out to get what they wanted.

And here are the regulations for Directors Credit itself. No mention of 40%

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
They lied for PR because they didn't want Zack's movie and wanted a "Marvel" tone. WB used the excuse of Snyders daughter dying to remake his movie. The 4-5 minutes is only for new scenes shot in October last year. There is 3+ hours that Snyder shot that were not used in the 2017 movie, and the supposed 70M is covering that, not just the 4-5 minutes.

As for who is lying, you're free to believe the corporation over the director I guess. But all the proof is in the 2017 movie, you can see exactly who did what based on the footage, not to mention there is plenty of leaked deleted scenes, screen shots, etc, that prove the 2017 movie is not the movie that he was making.
I think it's disingenuous to say that this is the director's truth versus the studio's lies when people were eagerly repeating the studio line when Snyder was still involved with the film and then they are now again that he's working with them again on this product. WB only lies when Snyder isn't involved apparently.

A ton of fans insisted that Snyder brought Whedon onboard and oversaw all his scenes and the 2 months of reshoots wasn't a big deal and it wasn't until the 11th hour where they decided to go in another direction and have Whedon rework the whole film after Snyder left but now Snyder had his movie stolen and WB used his daughter's death as an excuse and the handful of scenes that Whedon did is now supposedly 90% of the movie.

Obviously Snyder had a lot of footage shot and just looking at an article of scenes and storylines that were shot but later cut makes it clear that a lot of stuff didn't make it into the theatrical cut or were heavily altered to make work. I just find that coming into this situation to try to figure out what the fuck actually happened, I have got wildly varying and even contradictory information, and sometimes that info is coming from the exact same fans saying something completely opposite a few months ago, so forgive me if I'm a little confused and annoyed by the whole thing.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it, Leto must have some friends in (really) high places.

Gunn straight up called him a pedophile and the dude still gets work.