• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So what changes would you people like to see implemented?

•Recreate the Ishimura to be much larger, with multiple ways of getting across the ship. Allowing for careful planning to move about and avoid the Necromorphs.

•Speaking of Necromorph, I want them to roam around the ship, hunting their next victim. Similar to what Capcom did for Mr.X on RE2. But have them react to the sounds inside the Ishimura, whether you accidentally knocked something down, you made too much noise running around or engaged in a fight with other Necromorphs. I want them to be persistent, and not just randomly pop up in the room you made some noise. That way you can hide, and attempt to avoid them even if you happened to screw up. Essentially I want the same rules that apply to the player to apply to them when it comes to moving around the ship.

•A darker, and more isolated Ishimura. This one will change some of the story, but I feel it would make for a better experience imo. Reduce the amount of communications with other crew members considerably, only keep those completely necessary. Isaac being an engineer, coupled with the plans, and documents, around the Ishimura should be enough to form a best course of action.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
•Speaking of Necromorph, I want them to roam around the ship, hunting their next victim. Similar to what Capcom did for Mr.X on RE2. But have them react to the sounds inside the Ishimura, whether you accidentally knocked something down, you made too much noise running around or engaged in a fight with other Necromorphs. I want them to be persistent, and not just randomly pop up in the room you made some noise. That way you can hide, and attempt to avoid them even if you happened to screw up. Essentially I want the same rules that apply to the player to apply to them when it comes to moving around the ship.
I disagree with this one. I love that they're dead once you kill them, and don't respawn forever. They're crewmates, after all. From a time when the number of enemies in each room was planned and designed. It would also take away the rooms with no combat (because a Necromorph could go in there at any time), and these are great for both some quiet moments and the whispers you hear in them, which are part of the storytelling.

If anything, I want Isaac to talk. He's the engineer of the crew, but other NPCs figure out what to do and tell him. I want him to figure it out and then tell the player. But, to be honest, I'd be surprised if they added that.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree with this one. I love that they're dead once you kill them, and don't respawn forever. They're crewmates, after all. From a time when the number of enemies in each room was planned and designed. It would also take away the rooms with no combat (because a Necromorph could go in there at any time), and these are great for both some quiet moments and the whispers you hear in them, which are part of the storytelling.

If anything, I want Isaac to talk. He's the engineer of the crew, but other NPCs figure out what to do and tell him. I want him to figure it out and then tell the player. But, to be honest, I'd be surprised if they added that.

Yeah, there should definitely be a finite amount of enemies in the game. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember one of my disappointments with Dead Space 3 being that some areas like the tundra had enemies that would seemingly respawn continuously.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
You're going to get footage of devs working on their computers, someone spinning a 3D model in the editor, maybe some blurry footage of some playtests, shots of the company logo on the wall, the usual BTS stuff.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Ishimura with a more free traversal system like Prey would be god tier with me. Going around blocked spaces by getting out of the ship and entering through an Airlock, etc
Fuck.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
My expectations are low for this. Maybe Isaac's model and an environment or two. Still though, I'm so excited and happy this is coming. I hope they get creative with it like RE2 Remake did.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I absolutely loved Dead Space 1. I hope they don't bring in aspects of the sequel that put me off of the series. Don't make Isaac talk(that would be crazy and expensive for no reason). Fix the meteor section. Update graphics and give it to me.

OP
OP
m4st4

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Three and a half hours to go, are we ready, ERA? Over/under some early ambiental footage and perhaps character animation being shown?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

•Recreate the Ishimura to be much larger, with multiple ways of getting across the ship. Allowing for careful planning to move about and avoid the Necromorphs.

•A darker, and more isolated Ishimura. This one will change some of the story, but I feel it would make for a better experience imo. Reduce the amount of communications with other crew members considerably, only keep those completely necessary. Isaac being an engineer, coupled with the plans, and documents, around the Ishimura should be enough to form a best course of action.
I just want to see some significant changes or new content. I'm still worried we're going to get something either exactly or very close to a 1:1 remake of Dead Space, which would be very disappointing to me given both that I think the original game holds up well enough that it doesn't really need that treatment, and also just that I want something new from this franchise given it has now been over 8 years since the release of DS3, and it will likely be over a decade by the time this remake releases. I just hope it includes substantial new stuff that can excite me as a returning fan, rather than feeling like I'm going through the motions from the original, whether that's new enemies, new weapons, new mechanics, new characters or story elements, major level design changes, etc. I just want it to feel new, even if it is a remake of the original. Essentially, I want it to be less Demon's Souls PS5, and more RE2Make.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

So necromorphs actually can traverse the ship in the original, although not quite as your explain you want them to. It's a bit too easy to exploit it though, since they don't go through open doors. When you leave a room, a pursuing necromorph goes into a vent and can then bust out of a vent in the room you have entered. Behind the scenes, it's basically despawning from one room when it enters the vent and then respawning in the room your are in, as a way of managing entity limits etc, but hopefully two generations later, necromorphs will be able to more freely roam about.

I'd still want their spawning and encounters to be somewhat scripted for the sake of building tension etc, but if they did something similar to AvP on PC where the enemy layouts (but not numbers) are somewhat randomized, that'd be appreciated too.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Isaac Clarke is one of my favorite protags, absolutely love Dead Space so glad it's back in some form. Can't wait to dismember and start stomping.

Oct 27, 2017
Necro de-limbing should be dynamic instead of scripted. I wanna cut off the lower part of a leg and the tip of a the arm, etc.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Very excited about this, the team behind this project seems to care about the franchise so that's a good start.
They have to f it up really really bad to make me pass on this game, they already have a great foundation/source material to begin with.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit pessimistic because of EA with their "in-game purchase" games and online pass from the past, but we will see.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to have a developer talking about the remake and then all of a sudden they mutate into a necromorph

onlyTangerine

Oct 27, 2017

It could be interesting to see Isaac's engineering background take on a more prominent role mechanically (maybe in the context of weapon crafting, puzzles, and minigames). I played through Alien: Isolation for the first time early this year, and the clunky controls / input sequences for operating machinery, computer interfaces, manual door locks, etc. were a highlight. In general, technology in the game felt inadequate and frustrating to use, which reinforced how vulnerable and "human" you were in the face of the immediate physical threat (the Xenomorph) and the systems that enabled it (corporate neglect and abuse).

There's no need for Dead Space to hit those exact notes, but I do think some thoughtfully-placed sequences of "analog" interaction with the Ishimura could make the ship feel like more of a character in its own right. (and honestly, you could already sort of see the series flirting with this kind of interaction in some of the zero-g / kinesis puzzles)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the one computer screen we'll see in the background with concept art on it in a 2-10 minute long video!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In for speaking Isaac and more complex Ishirmura. Definitely down for script changes that lead Isaac to making breakthroughs.

I replayed the game recently and it holds up very well, especially the level design. I would like to see a little more complexity and connectivity, I would like to see slightly more modern controls, and I would definitely like to see more intricate dismemberment.... but the core game is still amazing and to fuck with it too much would be to risk what made it so great. The progression system of nodes to upgrade gear or unlock doors is very satisfying and well balanced. Some of the weapons could use a little tweaking perhaps, but overall it is really well done.

I consider the original to be a GOAT contender, if we narrow it down to Survival Horror then even more so. There is a risk they improve on things visually and mechanically but mess with the formula just enough and it could drop it from its original excellence into average AAA territory. If the latter happens... then the original is still good enough to play today and it would feel pointless. It would be sad if that happens as many new players would ignore the original and this would be their first experience of an excellent game.

Anyway, jumping the gun of course, and I'm being cynical...but I think these are reasonable concerns given what's come before.

- Speaking Isaac with script changes to give him more impact.
- Slightly more intricate levels (interconnectivity).
- More intricate dismemberment.
- Some new weapons could be fun.
- Some new enemies too.
- Updated control scheme.
- Obviously better visuals.

I really wouldn't want too much more, personally.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Free roam the entire ship would be an improvement imo, maybe revisit old locations and unlock new areas thanks to suit/weapon upgrades etc.
I know the story makes you backtrack to previous locations but the tram is already there for fast travel, so why not? Yeah, adding more exploration and optional stuff to discover would be neat.

Loading_screen_01.jpg

I'm just letting my imagination run wild, it's probably not the intention of this remake to begin with.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they have confirmed no in-game purchases, but that's one of the least concerns I have. The original had strong creative vision behind it, without that it could easily miss the mark.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Free roam the entire ship would be an improvement imo, maybe revisit old locations and unlock new areas thanks to suit/weapon upgrades etc.
I know the story makes you backtrack to previous locations but the tram is already there for fast travel, so why not? Yeah, adding more exploration and optional stuff to discover would be neat.

Loading_screen_01.jpg

I'm just letting my imagination run wild, it's probably not the intention of this remake to begin with.

This would be great.. something like the System Shock games have, BioShock 1or Prey 17'

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
one of the best things they can do is revamp - or honestly wholesale remove - the turret sections. those were a blemish on the game and I think they shouldn't keep them as they were

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Necro de-limbing should be dynamic instead of scripted. I wanna cut off the lower part of a leg and the tip of a the arm, etc.
I'd love to see this expanded improved.

Poor wording on my part. I didn't mean immortal Necromorphs, or infinite spawning.
Just the traversal, which can be observed on the pc version.

Just a couple minutes. :D