• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure it'll be good, but why are they so pretty and so well dressed. It's freaking Discworld, they have a city with a semi solid river and there is a character with an odor that's another character entirely. Very different from what I expected.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Interesting take on the source material. You'd have thought they'd be up for sticking with fantasy though considering how popular the genre is these days.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely seems very different but I'm willing to give it a chance!
EOcn3HFXUAYw7wq

Is this Angua and Carrot? Because I'm actually totally into their casting and look lol

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Doesn't look like any Discworld I imagined, but I'm open to a new interpretation. Looks way more polished and expensive than I expected. Looking forward to it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing that they'd cast Beric Dondarrion as Vimes and I thought it was amazing casting. That said he doesn't really look how I expected, but I think once I see some footage it'll come together.

Carrot looks spot-on, too. I've found the live-action Discworld adaptations pretty hit and miss over the years, but I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Also there's one more picture that isn't in the tweet itself but in the linked article
TW_100_IK_1018_3967-RT.jpg

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Making everything so modern looking makes everything look very YA-ish. Though I guess most people get into Pratchett as teenagers so thats not necessarily a wrong approach to take.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
They seem to be changing a lot but if it is good sure. I really REALLY hope it is good.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Vimes needs less walking and more crawling from gutter to gutter

I love this look for Angua, though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They're not really flattering photos. Reminds of a video game like Fallout 4's Diamond City or another WRPG.

I know the worlds of books are up to interpretation and sometimes you need to keep an open mind, but just going off what I see, this feels too slick and trying to be cool.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I'm trying not to be a fanboy here, but...nah, this looks like trash. The Watch novels are my favorite in the Discworld series and they're *so easy* to directly adapt. It's just a police procedural in a fantasy universal, not...this. This feels like a Final Fantasy: Spirits Within situation.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when it debuts.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
The stills don't bother me at all but I've gotten used to being disappointed by Discworld adaptations after the Sky ones. Hopefully this can improve on those.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to be a fanboy here, but...nah, this looks like trash. The Watch novels are my favorite in the Discworld series and they're *so easy* to directly adapt. It's just a police procedural in a fantasy universal, not...this. This feels like a Final Fantasy: Spirits Within situation.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised when it debuts.

I'm going to wait to see it in motion. While I do love the content of the books and the characters, Discworld's artwork is sometimes pretty bad, especially on characters like Angua. I think I'd be pretty bored by a straightforward fantasy treatment on it.

So I'm not too discouraged by the look, I just think the tone has to be right, and I need motion and sound for that.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I'm going to wait to see it in motion. While I do love the content of the books and the characters, Discworld's artwork is sometimes pretty bad, especially on characters like Angua. I think I'd be pretty bored by a straightforward fantasy treatment on it.

So I'm not too discouraged by the look, I just think the tone has to be right, and I need motion and sound for that.
Eh, Paul Kidby's art is a little boring, but there are lots of places to go with "vanilla" Fantasy. And even if they were going to do a radical style change, I dont really care for what they chose here.

You're right, though, we'll see how it looks in motion.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
This looks terrible already. I'll probably watch the first episode then drop it. Already looks too far away from the books.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the "straightforward fantasy" treatments of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music were fantastic btw

This looks like it'll be the latest in a long line of awful live action adaptations (although this isn't so much an adaptation I guess).

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I never imagined morpork as a fantasy city. more like a very late 19th century newyork/london with magic stand ins for a lot of weird stuff. im down for a slightly more modern take.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
I've always found it weird that BBC series have this 'non-cinematic' aesthetic to them. I've no idea what it is, but it always feels cheaper than other television networks.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
Hoping this is good, I love Terry Pratchett books and Richard Dormer is the dogs bollocks, so fingers crossed.

Nov 14, 2017
I've always found it weird that BBC series have this 'non-cinematic' aesthetic to them. I've no idea what it is, but it always feels cheaper than other television networks.
I got the same feeling watching Dark Materials. There's something about how its made, but while stuff on Netflix and Amazon make prestige TV that feels like long-form cinema, BBC shows still just have a regular old TV feel about them.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, it doesn't look very good. Zip jackets and freaking Picatinny rail on that crossbow, what the fuck.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Terry Pratchett's post-apocalyptic Discworld. This looks to be well-made and it might very well turn out to be a good show, but... it's awful and I don't get why they deemed such a drastically different take on Pratchett's work necessary. That doesn't look appealing to me at all, sadly.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the same feeling watching Dark Materials. There's something about how its made, but while stuff on Netflix and Amazon make prestige TV that feels like long-form cinema, BBC shows still just have a regular old TV feel about them.
It's seen in studios where each production has the same layer of sheen or grading to put a stamp on it. All the Sky productions have it, even the Alan Partridge stuff so it comes off as slightly wrong.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Hope that's not Cheery in the bottom right, where's her fucking beard?
Yeah this bothers me too. The whole point of Cheery isn't that she's non-binary, it's that *all of dwaven culture* is non-binary, and very conservatively so. It's funny because she's rebelling against that conservatism by borrowing behaviour from conservative human culture, but can't quite leave the beard behind. It's clever satire.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
This actually looks kinda cool. I like that it has it's own style. I feel like they could do another series that's animated and inspired by the style of the books' covers. I really need to keep reading some Discworld, I read Guards! Guards! but then went to the start of publication order and only made it to Sourcery. May just go through the witch and city watch series and then maybe the death ones.

233679.jpg

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
People bitching about this hardcore on the Twitters but damn, I love the look. The POINT of the books were how this traditional fantasy world had tons of anachronistic moments and technology.

I mean, fuck, one book is about opening a movie theater in a village and the dead make up the audience

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This actually looks kinda cool. I like that it has it's own style. I feel like they could do another series that's animated and inspired by the style of the books' covers. I really need to keep reading some Discworld, I read Guards! Guards! but then went to the start of publication order and only made it to Sourcery. May just go through the witch and city watch series and then maybe the death ones.

233679.jpg

Such an incredible book.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine what people are going to do when they find out that Vetinari is a woman in this. And CMOT Dibbler too!

Personally while I would have preferred a straight(er) adaptation in terms of setting and something a little closer to the fantasy-adjacent nature of the books, I'm willing to give it a go as long as it retains some of the Discworld charm. Especially as they're saying this is more inspired by the books and less based on them. Bear in mind that as Pterry developed the world in later novels Ankh-Morpork drifted away from the swords and dragons fantasy and more towards an industrialised setting partly because, as he said, at at some point you have to stop burning the city down. A lot of this is going to rely on how well the actors sell their characters, so I'm happy to give it a fair shake as an "elseworlds" version of the Disc.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Vimes and Carrot look great, but everything else looks pretty bad. Especially Sybil as, I guess, some kind of trim badass in a trenchcoat performing acts of "chaotic vigilantism" in the back alleys? Huh?

I'll never understand what's so difficult about more direct adaptations, especially of these Watch stories. Did they go this route because it's too expensive to have a dragon?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm hoping this isn't nearly as gritty and edgey as these images sorta suggest. I like it being grimey, but Discworld was never cynical--in a bad way--and these sorts of images make me think of how a 13 year old would interpret The Watch. Willing to give it a shot!