• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I call 12 dollars an emote the "lack of season pass tax". Its fine with me but if you plan on dipping alot I see this adding up

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care what price cosmetics are, because I won't buy them regardless. They could be $1 or $50 and it would make no difference to me.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So everything we see in the store can be obtained through in-game loot? Can you get dupes? I'd hate to buy something, just to get it in loot the next day.
ill be honest idk about dupes. i just know that you will be able to get everything from the store without paying. if i had to guess i would say dupes will either get turned into resources to craft or turned into coins with or they are taken out of the loot table but again idk

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Most expensive gum I've ever seen on a shoe.

Insane if this is in the final game.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Games as a service is the worst. Anthem's playerbase being non-existent in 6 months.

Yeah. Let's compare to destiny.

Destiny has loot boxes that reward not just cosmetics. Anthem has no loot boxes and no way to pay money for anything but cosmetics.

Destiny has you pay for expansions, these expansions have generally been seen as mandatory. Anthem has free expansions and free content forever.

Yeah, your right, this games model sucks and isn't a billion times better than what other companies are doing.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who comes up with the prices for these things. That's insane. A piece of armor costs as much as a dlc from something like Horizon or Witcher.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
So long as the regular customization options are good I don't really have any problems with this. It's all cosmetic, can be bought with in game currency, and isn't in a lootbox.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I feel like core gameplay loop will be obnoxious if materials are available to be bought with real money.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Worst case scenario would be if they started to charge for the different class types "Javelins" but if they are offering the cosmetics as an incentive into supporting their game down the line I'm all for it.

Just as long as they leave all the meaningful content completely FREE.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$12 for an emote? WTF?

This industry is changing in ways I don't understand.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they've said already that those values are still being tweaked.

However...

Am I correct in understanding that these items cost both in-game and real-world currency? Or is that just giving you the option?

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Assassin's Creed right now, and costume packs range from $7-$12 and that feels a lot more reasonable to me. I am glad you can earn these in game, though! That's a huge difference.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Let's compare to destiny.

Destiny has loot boxes that reward not just cosmetics. Anthem has no loot boxes and no way to pay money for anything but cosmetics.

Destiny has you pay for expansions, these expansions have generally been seen as mandatory. Anthem has free expansions and free content forever.

Yeah, your right, this games model sucks and isn't a billion times better than what other companies are doing.
Destiny lootboxes are 100% cosmetic. Anthem also doesn't have PVP, or any sign of a long-term endgame.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I believe they've said already that those values are still being tweaked.

However...

Am I correct in understanding that these items cost both in-game and real-world currency? Or is that just giving you the option?
I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. They've said that everything besides preorder bonuses are available in-game.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Worst case scenario would be if they started to charge for the different class types "Javelins" but if they are offering the cosmetics as an incentive into supporting their game down the line I'm all for it.

Just as long as they leave all the meaningful content completely FREE.
they have said new javelins may have to be bought but that they haven't decided yet.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
One thing to note is that everything is fully purchasable with the in game currency (coin) Hopefully the grind isn't too bad.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. They've said that everything besides preorder bonuses are available in-game.

I hope that's the case! I'd have no issue with this then. Especially when the IGN preview talked about how you can earn in-game money for free just by having friends that play the game.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This brought a good chuckle out of me and its the reason why I go with a wait and see approach when it comes to an EA title. Also if its comparing itself to Fortnite in some prices then they are doing it wrong already. Hopefully this is just the demo info and its not such a hassle to get both of these currency(oping both are acquirable in-game).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the screenshot, shards themselves are probably money only. But you can buy everything with coins, which is the one you get by playing.
I hope this is the case, but I remember someone mentioning that you need the premium + game currency to buy things. Like GTA Shark Cards giving you money injections, but you need a certain level to buy the thing you may want. I'll keep my eye on this, I really hope that the shards aren't required. Warframe is free and I can buy everything without spending money if I want (outside of Tenogen which is community made skins and they get a cut of profits).

This is good to hear. (Crosses fingers) I'm very willing to grind for a thing I want, and I may want those material change items. Looks like color pallets aren't part of the MTX store, which is even better for a pay to play game, I hope they aren't one time use and you have to buy another in a market or get it to drop again (Destiny 2).

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like core gameplay loop will be obnoxious if materials are available to be bought with real money.
then their player base will leave and they won't be able to make any more money off them. They are saying no paid expansions for Anthem, if they want to keep the money rolling in, the game will have to be fun enough for some to justify spending $ on their MTX.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I call 12 dollars an emote the "lack of season pass tax". Its fine with me but if you plan on dipping alot I see this adding up

I prefer season passes and expansions. With dlc releases there is accountability and expectations and usually review sites weigh in with scores. With the EA gaas system there is almost no expectation because it is always quantified by "it's free" when it isn't free because people are paying in with mtx. You also never see scores on sites. BF2 has had very light updates and review sites barely touch the content. It feels like EA's gaas approach is sneaky way of putting a game in maintenance mode from the get.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, we have literally no reason to believe these are the final numbers. They might be, but good christ is there a lot of declarative statements going on here. Settle down, we have a month to go before we start complaining about this shit.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
That would be kind of nuts if true.

Do people do studies on the pricing of these things? They have to, right? Like pricing a skin that high really is that much more profitable than charging a buck or two? I'd be more inclined to buy more stuff if it was cheaper. I'm shocked people actually shell out the money for those things.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I wasn't really feeling it with the gameplay anyways, but this puts the game over on the not buying side of the fence. (Not that I wasn't expecting microtransactions out the ass anyways)

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
12 Dollars for a fucking EMOTE.

Oh man. AAA Gaming at its finest.

Good fucking show EA.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure why folks are freaking out. They aren't charging for DLCs. So they have to generate additional revenue. I am certain that TD2 will have something similar as well.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
12 dollars for an emote on a $60. People who'd spend that kind of money on such stuff don't deserve their money

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cosmetics, so I don't really care. Plus you can buy them with in-game currency also. *shrug*

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man... These mTX prices would be reasonable if they were half of what they were. Or game was FTP.

I don't have a major issue with mTX, especially cosmetic ones, but I can see how these prices grind the gears of a dedicated "non whale" gamer who just wants a certain skin.

Hey, at least it isn't lootboxes.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit. Ok lets see if its an insane grind to buy this shit with ingame currency. There's always a fucking catch isn't there

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
I'm gonna be quoted for this, but I'm really hating that everything have or need a "premium store" these days.
I know, those are cosmetics, and you can buy it with in game currency (As I can see), but we really need two types of currency (Which one is always real money) on a 60+ dlls game already?
Sorry for beating a dead horse here

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
There needs to be a disclaimer in the title saying the prices arent final especially since they specifically said they made changes to the economy. My take is all of these prices can be adjusted without touching game code so technically they could have changed the prices but they are leaving it as is to see what the pushback is going to be and how much can they really get away charging on items. Nothing wrong with that imo.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because Publishers use it as an excuse to ship incomplete games? Because its another excuse to force additional revenue streams into the game? Because its anti-consumer?
Base games are larger then they have ever been, you get more for your $60 then you've ever before, please do tell mo how that makes the game "incomplete" or "anti-consumer"?

Oct 30, 2017
There's one key difference with a comparison like this.
I'm sure they wholesale copied fortnites prices in order to not rock the boat. (Even though fortnite is F2P)

But this means nothing without context. I have no clue how many hrs is necessary to get these packs through play time.
It's not a f2p game. 20 bucks for a skin is insane.

Wonder how much you have to farm for 40k.
so, this is basically a full price game with free2play item pricing?

yeah, i will buy Anthem-in a deep sale
F2P cosmetic pricing in a full-priced game? No, going to pass.

I feel the same way about OW that I do about this.

The prices are insane even in Fortnite. However Fortnite being F2P makes little difference, they're not even comparable. One is a battle royale "mode" with literally nothing else to it where youre continuously being lured into buying battle passes to keep up. Anthem is a full game with a beginning middle and end, with final goal of player engagement post launch with continual free story DLC.

Yep totally different things. Plus again it barely matters anyways because YOU choose to purchase cosmetics. I'm also sure that a good chunk of people have put 10 times the $60 dollar value into fortnite for a battle royale game already far exceeding any initial value a game would have whether it be F2P or 60 dollars. So what does optional cosmetics that you can earn in game matter to you?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
People freaking out on those prices... Do you buy these in games? If not why are you upset?