• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
All this does is make me conclude there is little reason for the 3090 to exist as far as the consumer goes. Ends up being good content for Linus and others I suppose but really the upgrade just doesn't seem worth the cost.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
All this does is make me conclude there is little reason for the 3090 to exist as far as the consumer goes. Ends up being good content for Linus and others I suppose but really the upgrade just doesn't seem worth the cost.

Well, it's not a gaming product the same way the Titan is not a gaming product. They're smart enough to make them look like the highest end for gaming and still manage to convince a few whales to buy them. They're pro-sumers, the 24GB of ram make it pretty clear.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If 3090 is only 5-10% better than 3080 as the benchmarks seem to be, then the 3080 would be an 8k capable card too yeah? or will the 10GB be too limiting on that resolution?

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Is Doom the most highly optimized game of the generation as far as graphics versus performance?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I'm glad Linus got this gig. You can always trust a man in socks and sandals.

That is one big fucking graphics card.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Didn't care much about the jump to 4K, but 8K is going to be interesting. At that point, we probably won't need AA anymore.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've seen 8K screens at Yodobashi like few years, if you go really close like 1cm away from the screen everything is blurry.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
ChubbyWanAmethystinepython-max-1mb.gif

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
If 3090 is only 5-10% better than 3080 as the benchmarks seem to be, then the 3080 would be an 8k capable card too yeah? or will the 10GB be too limiting on that resolution?

At 8K the performance difference is probably more than 5-10% at 1440p/4k, but yeah. With DLSS and probably a bit lower settings it should work fine, unless there's some output limitation I am not aware of. Both cards have the same outputs right?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Is Doom the most highly optimized game of the generation as far as graphics versus performance?

Well it gets a lot of benefit from being a corridor/arena shooter rather than showing vast landscapes most of the time but it is without a doubt one of the most performant games in recent years. My 2080 Ti can run it at 4K 100-120 fps at Ultra Nightmare settings.

I want 8K in a smaller display like 48" so I can put one on my desktop, have an incredible desktop sharpness and then just play games with integer scaling at lower res. Or 8K DLSS where supported. Maybe in the next 10 years...

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So if you buy this bad boy and you play at 1080P i suppose you will not need a new card for what 10 years lol

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Pretty crazy that Control got up to 8k 60 fps with raytracing. All thanks to ultra performance DLSS from 1440p, and it sounds like no game even benefits from Ampere's supposed ability to use DLSS at the same time frames are rendered, rather than just at the end like Turing. Considering that the performance might not be too much more demanding than native 1440p, I wonder if 8k 120hz would be doable if you just used DLSS without raytracing?

Also it's pretty crazy that 2 years ago we were joking about the 2080 ti barely being able to just do RT reflections in Battlefield V at 1080p 60 fps, now the 3090 can seemingly do a pretty decent "8k" 60 fps with more RT effects in Control.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's weird just how impressive I am with this yet have no desire to play this way, regardless of how much it cost. Maybe if I could really see how good it looks?

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
"at 8k this looks ludicrous , i mean look at it."
Me and a million +people watching the video on a 1080 p monitor : "uh.... Yeah,looks amazing."

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Me watching MKBHD's video at 1080p since it didn't finish processing:

"This doesn't look like 8k to me....."
I like MKBHD on Twitter last night as well...

And I'm just thinking to myself: Who TF is out there watching anything in 8K already anyway? It's like maybe 5 people right now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it didn't look mindblowing on my phone's 6 inch 1080p screen, im not seeing the hype for 8K

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
We need bigger hard drives. 8k videos are going to be enormous. What's taking the manufacturers so long to build higher capacity storage?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I need it for all the giant uncompressed textures in these Skyrim mods.

How else am I going to replace all the druagr with photoreal Fall Guys?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
We need bigger hard drives. 8k videos are going to be enormous. What's taking the manufacturers so long to build higher capacity storage?
www.techradar.com

World’s largest hard drive coming "within months"

WD will use SMR and helium to power a 20TB hard disk drive

HDD Manufacturers already have to use Air-sealed enclosures filled with helium to min-max performance on a hard drive, Don't expect HDD Tech to advance anymore without requiring either a new form factor or large changes, and that's just something that's not feasible these days