• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I hate scary games.. however this one has me intrigued. Totally would not play it but since it is coming to gamepass I am going to give it a go. It took me forever to get though Resident Evil 7.. I would have to stop playing.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yo sounds great. Finally (hopefully) a horror game that doesn't rely primarily on jump scares. I've been disappointed in the horror genre lately because of that. The last game that got atmosphere right to me was Visage, but even then it relied on jump scares.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Comparisons to Alan Wake and Silent Hill but without the combat? man combatless horror sucks for me, ends up being so boring.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Pretty sure the PC recommended specs for the game are bottom of the barrel. All that talk about the SSD in the new consoles being required for the Medium's gameplay is just bunk

They said in an interview yesterday that the HDD on old gen consoles is significantly slower than modern PC HDDs, so that's why it's not on last gen. Even then, load times will be worse without an SSD on PC.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I am really looking forward to this game and too see if the split screen mechanic really works.

For a long time, when I saw the trailers, I thought they were just showing off how the two worlds look and that you would have a button to easily and quickly change between them. Only later did I find out that split screen was a mechanic, not a way to preview the two realities at the same time.

Dec 15, 2017
Fans of true survival horror must support these games for the genre to make a comeback.

We can't rely on capcom as proven by their underwhelming remakes.

Fatal frame is dead and tied to a platform that doesn't care. Indie devs are churning first person amnesia clones left and right bar some exceptions.

Jun 13, 2020
I own pretty much all the Bloober team games they've made since Layers of Fear (all of them were given away on Epic at some point), but none of them ever seemed that interesting to me or compelled me to play them. They seemed to follow the same boring first person horror "walk around and read notes" formula. I'll give this one a shot though, since I have Gamepass.

May 17, 2018
"Ok, Marianne, now get your ghostly ass back and powerup that elevator." Yeesh.

This looks terrible. A protagonist who won't stop talking; a creepy young girl character who is literally named "Sadness"; "Press and Hold B for Out of Body experience" which makes the split screen a complete waste of screen space.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, I'm excited to play this! Here's hoping this one is the game changer for Bloober.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not quite sure how to feel about this one yet, but will give it a try on the SX since its on Gamepass.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Layers of Fear is truly atrocious and relies entirely on awful shitty jumpscare rooms and scenes. The Medium looks okay I guess.. but I am not convinced unless really good reviews come out

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
This looks a bit lower budget than what I expected. Not convinced yet but we'll see.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This continues to look pretty good, I hope they pull it off. So far the only Bloober game I've enjoyed was Observer, Layers of Fear and Blair Witch both kinda sucked imo, but I really liked Observer.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: is this a Series X exclusive, or is it coming to PS5 later on as well?
In an interview posted yesterday from wccftech:
Why did you decide to make The Medium an Xbox Series console exclusive at launch? Can you divulge the length of the exclusivity window period and once that's finished, do you have plans for other platforms?

It was an outcome from our relationship with Microsoft, the hardware we needed to bring our vision to life, and also how our development process aligned with Microsoft's plans for its new generation of consoles. The bottom line is that we're really excited to be launching The Medium as one of the first Xbox Series X|S titles.

The game is coming to Xbox and PC in January, and we're not currently concentrating on any other platforms.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings after looking at the previews. Gameplay doesn't seem all that interesting despise the interesting premise behind the game and some of that dialogue was grating. Looks really pretty but not exactly hyped knowing the past games from the developers. Will wait to see more but there is potential.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to play it, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. This all looks and sounds great, but the dev's pedigree is a bit spotty. I'm not expecting a Silent Hill killer, but if it's a step above their past titles I'm all in

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Bloober has yet to make a good game imo. I didn't play Blair witch but layers and observer were bad although observer looked pretty nice despite the performance issues. Their gameplay is just boring and writing awful.

Judging by the 14 minute video this isn't going to change that but I'd like to be proven wrong. Hopefully the technical issues in the video are ironed out before launch at least.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to play it, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. This all looks and sounds great, but the dev's pedigree is a bit spotty. I'm not expecting a Silent Hill killer, but if it's a step above their past titles I'm all in
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best but will be satisfied as long as it's competently solid to decent. LOL

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Looks amazing, it's awesome to be getting a high-budget fixed camera style horror title. Though like others I was a little lukewarm on both Layers and Blair Witch, so I'll wait for a little more footage before getting too hyped up.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
It's the game with the highest budget for Blooper Team.

It closed €7 million euros, less than Hellblade for example

It's on me, I didn't look up what studio was behind the game and I previously had the impression that it would be a near-AAA project.

I hope for the team that it will succeed !

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I'm really liking the visuals, the fixed camera, the music, and the split world design. But the writing, voice acting, and characterization are really disappointing, especially in regards to the spirit characters. It's miles away from Silent Hill and the writing seems to be spelling everything out too literally. And that invisible monster would be much more effective if it didn't talk at all.

It's a Polish team so I wonder if there's a Polish language track? I imagine that might have better voice direction, at least.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to avoid seeing much again before playing myself but for anyone that watched this, is the framerate cleaned up?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Damn, quite an opening statement -- Reminiscent of Silent Hill and Alan Wake. Sounds good. Looking forward to this.

uu9pmDP.gif

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If it's in the same ballpark as the horror elements in Silent Hill and Alan Wake, I'm probably going to love this. Having recently read Doc Squiddy's long-form piece on writing for interactive horror, I'm hoping this is a case of the devs appreciating the difference between horror and terror experiences.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The gameplay video has great visuals but I'm not sold on the Silent Hill / Alan Wake references. Hiding from the invisible man seemed rather forgiving as well

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Loved Alan Wake. It's the only CE I've ever bought.

Just need to track down an XSX.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Doesn't look good. The animation, lip sync, everything is off and in the 14 minute preview there are already unintentional funny scenes. Total turn off for me. I'm expecting it to land somewhere around 60 metascore.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's Bloober so I'm keeping my expectations tempered. I don't mean to bad mouth them but their track record has been pretty mixed thus far.

I'd say this is probably their most ambitious game to date and I'll be playing it via Gamepass, but I'm not expecting it to reach the levels of it's inspirations or become some hidden gem.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I like Bloober's gumption even if they're imperfect, but I am getting tired of horror games with no combat

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks really juddery. I know it's basically running two games at the same time but still. The judder is too much.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. This is the one game on the XSX that I was looking forward to when it was announced as a launch title and was disappointed by the delay. Did I mention that Gamepass is the gift that keeps giving?