• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This was fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

Having a full theater for a pre screening that wasn't for only critics was a lot of fun.

Dec 13, 2018
Reading through this thread is a trip, what the fuck is wrong with people and The Last Jedi... I mean, it's a kids movie, nobody ruined anything lol.

Also, excited for a good murder mystery.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn good movie, rivals my love for "Brick", deserves to win awards and make piles and piles of cash.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it Wednesday. Don't get spoiled. It is a fun ride of a film if you go in knowing little to nothing about it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Sweet god, what a movie. There are few experiences like this that are so fucking well done. A masterpiece

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This was fun, but a very simple whodunnit.
I'd say what makes this movie so unique is that it's not a simple whodunnit. I can't think of a single whodunnit where
we find out who the "killer" is 30 minutes into the film and we're seeing them try and mess up the detective not only that but the killer being the good guy.

Lots of super out there concepts for a whodunnit.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic piece of film. Brick is still my favorite RJ joint, but this is a strong second.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say what makes this movie so unique is that it's not a simple whodunnit. I can't think of a single whodunnit where
we find out who the "killer" is 30 minutes into the film and we're seeing them try and mess up the detective not only that but the killer being the good guy.

Lots of super out there concepts for a whodunnit.
Well, I mean
technically they didn't reveal who the killer was until the end.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean
technically they didn't reveal who the killer was until the end.
That's why I put killer in quotes but that's my point, that makes the whole mystery way more complex than your normal whodunnits. A simple one would've just had Chris Evans being the baddie from the get go.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'd be as superlative about it as a lot of the other impressions here but it's lots of fun. Maybe a bit long and saggy in the middle. And while I definitely didn't "call it" in its entirety I was waiting for the other shoe to drop on a few important details for much of the movie. But that's fine, I'd prefer things make "whodunit sense"—which this does—than go completely absurd just to keep you off base.

Everyone's having a great time. Craig is just a delight.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Two fun notes from the Q&A that followed my screening earlier this week:

Don Johnson handing Marta the plate during the immigration argument and him saying "what was I supposed to do, bite the bumper" (Can't remember the exact words) were both ad libs.

Last edited:

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I put killer in quotes but that's my point, that makes the whole mystery way more complex than your normal whodunnits. A simple one would've just had Chris Evans being the baddie from the get go.
But I'm saying that it was kind of clear that Marta didn't kill him, and that he did kill himself.
However, I did expect him to have planned it out himself, and not accidentally because of Ransom.
I guess that's a bit different.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Minor spoiler for the movie line of the year:

What did the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom overhear?!?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Minor spoiler for the movie line of the year:

What did the Nazi child masturbating in the bathroom overhear?!?

LOL one of the biggest laughs in the film. That character was definitely created as part of Rian Johnson's catharsis after getting harassed by twitter trolls over The Last Jedi. The film is also clearly anti-Trump, anti-ICE, anti-generational wealth.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what was the prize for having the winning poster they gave away at the previews?

Our posters were dumb loser posters :(

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible fucking movie. Quick question:

How did Ransom deduce from the toxicology report that the medicines hadn't been switched? Wasn't it only the header that was photocopied?

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
It was OK. Love Rian's movies and put this as my personal least liked. Still a solid movie, though. I guess I expected a bit more from it. Maybe a few more twists or something. It was very straightforward for a whodunnit.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Incredible fucking movie. Quick question:

How did Ransom deduce from the toxicology report that the medicines hadn't been switched? Wasn't it only the header that was photocopied?

I believe he realized the fuck up when the nurse told her story to him at the restaurant. Since she thought she gave the guy morphine he knew they were flipped and the report would show no overdose.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
My wife and I saw an early screening for this tonight. It was great!! It does a few things to throw off your expectations in the beginning and it toys with you for the rest of the movie. Fun ride!

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really loved it. I still need to chew on it some more, but I think this might end up being my favorite Rian Johnson movie. This dude really knows how to write a script, he's an incredible talent.

The Last Jedi was a good movie.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe he realized the fuck up when the nurse told her story to him at the restaurant. Since she thought she gave the guy morphine he knew they were flipped and the report would show no overdose.
Ah, of course. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
Liking this more than I already did last night because I half-missed the thematic ironies he was messing around with.

One punchline very near the end that I wish he had done a little more sleight-of-hand for:

Blanco pointing out the blood spot on her shoe. It's neat but he has a big showy shot of it earlier so you're just waiting
for it to drop

—-ohhhhh cute joke Rian—

—anyway, still would have been fun to have a much more subtle shot of it that you catch on a second viewing.

Re: TLJ/Brick/Looper—I liked TLJ but if you Hated What He Did To Star Wars(tm) this is a fairly traditional whodunit, on the archly comedic end of the genre. It's still kind of stylized but waaaayyy less affected than Brick or even Looper.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for anyone who's seen it:

Does the dying housekeeper still say "Hugh" but Marta mishears it as "You"?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from an advanced screening.

Super fun movie, a real crowd-pleaser. I loved it and my audience was really eating it up.

Definitely one of the strongest releases of the year and the season.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just left my theater. Absolutely loved this movie. Seeing this and Ford vs Ferrari on back to back weeks is awesome lol

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Liking this more than I already did last night because I half-missed the thematic ironies he was messing around with.

One punchline very near the end that I wish he had done a little more sleight-of-hand for:

Blanco pointing out the blood spot on her shoe. It's neat but he has a big showy shot of it earlier so you're just waiting
for it to drop

—-ohhhhh cute joke Rian—

—anyway, still would have been fun to have a much more subtle shot of it that you catch on a second viewing.

Re: TLJ/Brick/Looper—I liked TLJ but if you Hated What He Did To Star Wars(tm) this is a fairly traditional whodunit, on the archly comedic end of the genre. It's still kind of stylized but waaaayyy less affected than Brick or even Looper.

I loved that bit. Just waiting (until she confesses) for the blood to become a big thing, and it was something he knew all along. Curious if he actually glances at her shoes at all during their first meeting - I didn't notice it.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Delightful, but I think I'll need to see it again to really process it.

My wife, a mystery nerd, loved it.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So, was this originally supposed to be rated R? I could have sworn I saw a Red Band trailer for it at some point, there is a TON of smoking, and it has 2 F-bombs (I thought you were only allowed 1!), and the blood in the beginning seems pretty dark.
Great movie overall though.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was such a great time. I was able to grab the last available seat just on a whim and couldn't have made a better decision. It will definitely reward multiple viewings so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Oct 25, 2017
Either this or The Lighthouse have the best final shot of the year.v

God I fucking loved this movie.

Its also super giffable.

I expect plenty of gifs.