• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

As with Hill House, Flanagan and producing partner Trevor Macy worked together to update the setting and expand and adapt the original text. They also wove in aspects of other supernatural stories by James, including "The Jolly Corner," about a menacing doppelgänger, and "The Romance of Certain Old Clothes," about two sisters and a mysterious chest of beloved dresses.

"The process is the same, in that it's a literary remix," Macy said. "You want to update the story, you want to find whatever fertile ground for elevating the character that you can in the source material, but we obviously took some liberties in updating it with a more modern setting."
Some of the cast of Hill House has returned, but they're each playing different parts this time. Bly Manor takes place mostly in 1987, starring Victoria Pedretti, the doomed sister Nell of Hill House, now playing the sunny American tutor Dani Clayton, who hopes to escape her own painful past by taking a job at the stately mansion looking after the Wingrave children—volatile Miles (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, 11) and cheerful Flora (Amelie Bea Smith, 9).
"Victoria and I talked at the very beginning about how to differentiate this character from Nell. Nell was a character that carried around a ton of darkness with her and never quite got out of the shadows that she was introduced in when we see her as a child," Flanagan said. "Between the setting in the '80s, and this idea of a young American abroad, just out on an adventure, it brightened everything up to begin with."
That's just the veneer, of course. A creeping shadow gradually spreads over Bly Manor and its inhabitants.
"At its foundation, the Haunting series is very much about haunted spaces and haunted people. The way we make those things dance together is really going to be what's uniform about Hill House and Bly," Flanagan said. "Outside of that though, it was really important for all of us not to play the same notes we played for the first season. The first season is very much entrenched in family dynamics and death and grief and loss and child trauma. We all collectively felt like we'd said everything we wanted to say about that."
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/haunting-of-bly-manor-hill-house

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they maintain the mystery and actual terror elements deeper into the season. The first season kind of fizzled out for me after the mystique evaporated and strained under its own weight of trying to keep the viewer interested in the underlying mystery.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hope they can keep the suspense of the first season [bar the last two-ish episodes [I think], those were pretty whack].

Man that sequence where the dad carries the son through the house and you get that glimpse of the ghost [...] in the background really fucked me up, that entire segment was super well done.

I also remember the one son at the funeral taking a drink, seeing the ghost and literally going "aww fuck", that was awesome.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
haunting of hill house was AMAZING
excited for this, but afaik the book is only hill house? so this is no longer based on a book anymore?

OP
OP
CrazyDude

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
haunting of hill house was AMAZING
excited for this, but afaik the book is only hill house? so this is no longer based on a book anymore?
It's based on the book Turn of a Screw and some other books by Henry James. It's a new story and characters but with some of the same actors.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hill House was one of the best things I've ever watched, excited for this

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Hill House. Mike Flanagan is fantastic.

It's great to see some of the old cast back in new roles.

I just realized that's the dude from iZombie.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if it'll match The Innocents for suspense. Well, at least that part of it...

fuck, maybe I should watch that again....

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'm glad they're moving away from family trauma/history of abuse themes, the scares in Hill House were outweighed by the bleakness IMO. That amazing scene with the dad carrying the kids out of the house, as a poster mentioned above, made me feel all sorts of ways I'm not comfortable with

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Whats the innocents?
1961 Deborah Kerr movie based on Turn of the Screw (which was the primary base for this series)
51KR5FDM5ZL._SY445_.jpg

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Yes please. The first one still turns over in my mind from time to time. I thought it was incredible. I'm fully expecting to be blown away by the production. Hill House episode 6 is a masterpiece.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Very excited for this after how good Hill House was, and I'm pleased they're not going for a straight adaptation again - there'd be no point trying to surpass The Innocents.
Henry James' other ghost stories are a bit of a mixed bag, but The Romance of Certain Old Clothes should fit in very nicely.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope there are more hidden ghosts in the background, that really made the show creepy for me

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the images instantly give me very similar feelings to hill house, suuuuper exited for this since hill house was by far my favorite netflix show to date.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Very, very excited for this.

FIrst half of the Hill House series was incredible, and the latter was still very enjoyable. Psyched for Bly Manor.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for sharing, I didn`t know, there`s another one coming. I found Hill House surprisingly good, so I will watch this for sure.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. Slightly concerned because Flanagan didn't direct any of it opposed to directing all of S1, but otherwise can't wait to devour this in October.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they can keep the suspense of the first season [bar the last two-ish episodes [I think], those were pretty whack].

Man that sequence where the dad carries the son through the house and you get that glimpse of the ghost [...] in the background really fucked me up, that entire segment was super well done.

I also remember the one son at the funeral taking a drink, seeing the ghost and literally going "aww fuck", that was awesome.

I really enjoyed the first season but for me it peaked on episode 6 I think (the long take in the funeral home) and the ending was a bit flat. But the cinematography was excellent and the cast was really good overall, so I will definitely be interested to see this one.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
The funeral home one take is probably the best episode of TV Netflix has ever made. High hopes for this season. Turn of the Screw is a classic story.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Those screenshots look so weird. As if the actors filmed scenes separately due to covid and they put them all together in post. Not saying that happened, but it looks like it due to the heavy photoshop treatment.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those screenshots look so weird. As if the actors filmed scenes separately due to covid and they put them all together in post. Not saying that happened, but it looks like it due to the heavy photoshop treatment.

Production wrapped in February before Covid landed in the States.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved Hill House, one of the best horror experiences of modern times and it didn't overstay its welcome for even a second. Ten episodes was absolutely perfect.

However, I'm a little lost on the story here. Seeing as how most, if not all, characters return, does this take place before Hill House, or is this set in an alternate universe, or something else?

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The episode that directly dealt with the son suffering addiction is master class television.

I caught Doctor Sleep last week and Flanagan definitely has a style that one can tie to him.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
I loved Hill House, one of the best horror experiences of modern times and it didn't overstay its welcome for even a second. Ten episodes was absolutely perfect.

However, I'm a little lost on the story here. Seeing as how most, if not all, characters return, does this take place before Hill House, or is this set in an alternate universe, or something else?
It's completely unrelated to Hill House. The actors will return, but they're playing completely different characters.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's completely unrelated to Hill House. The actors will return, but they're playing completely different characters.
Oh, that's weird. And a little confusing, to see these established characters that used to be siblings etc. play completely different characters in a similar show with a similar title and a similar cast. One would almost think there'll be some kind of twist where a connection between Hill House is revealed?

Anyway, just pulling that from my ass. Very excited for Bly Manor.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's weird. And a little confusing, to see these established characters that used to be siblings etc. play completely different characters in a similar show with a similar title and a similar cast. One would almost think there'll be some kind of twist where a connection between Hill House is revealed?

Anyway, just pulling that from my ass. Very excited for Bly Manor.

American Horror Story does this every season

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. Really enjoyed Hill House. Certainly hope it's a bit scarier than the Hill House though.