• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
A small clinical study in California has suggested for the first time that it might be possible to reverse the body's epigenetic clock, which measures a person's biological age.

For one year, nine healthy volunteers took a cocktail of three common drugs — growth hormone and two diabetes medications — and on average shed 2.5 years of their biological ages, measured by analysing marks on a person's genomes. The participants' immune systems also showed signs of rejuvenation.

The results were a surprise even to the trial organizers — but researchers caution that the findings are preliminary because the trial was small and did not include a control arm.

Nature

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for a year they took a combination of common drugs and were able to "shed" 2.5 years of aging ... that's wild.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Soon, mega rich people will be able to live 200 years.
Seems fair, they need more time to spend their money.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
lol wait

You say if I keep taking these pills I won't age? I'm not prepared to live in this dystopia.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That's as small-scale test as it can be.

They should do this with 1000s of test participants, divided into many groups.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Fasting can increase Lifespan. It also happens to improve insulin sensitivity. It's no coincidence that diabetes drugs controls insulin sensitivity.

It also increases the release of growth hormones. Again it's no coincidence that growth hormone can also increase reduce aging.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, for now.
Just wait until the final product is sold as "Immortality Pill", and watch the price rise and rise and rise and rise.

I like the way you think!

Metformin is available in many generic forms I believe. It's an old drug. Maybe they'd try to ramp the price up in the US, but it would be hard to do that everywhere.

Jun 26, 2018
If the rich live longer, would they spend more of their fortune to make sure the world doesn't die around them?

I'd say, nah, they'd probably just invest in mars colonization and leave us to die on earth.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
HGH is popular with pretty much every group
trying to get more out of their body, so this isn't a surprise to me. I recall a journalist taking it and testosterone and recounting his experience. I think it's already popular with the affluent.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The world would destroy itself if something like that existed but was limited or cost a lot. So many people would turn to murder and destruction to try and get ahold of it. I think most people can say they would fight for a chance at immortality.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Thank god for rapid climate change then, better for some other species to get a chance than a hellscape ruled by billionaire lich lords.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Death is bad, so unlike most of this thread, I'm for it.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I'm having the hardest time believing how rejuvinating such a solution would actually be. I mean, I just CAN'T wait to witness the side effects. I feel like we're still far away from cheating death, but then again, we already live in a creepy dystopia so who knows!

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously nonsense at this point (tiny study looking at particular markers with no control group), but people here are so negative. They're telling you there's a tiny possibility of being able to slow/reverse aging and ya'll jumping to shit about rich people.

Acting like people not dying or aging more slowly is some creepy dystopia. Do you want to get old and frail and die at 70?

gkryhewy

Oct 29, 2017
I though this was a known benefit of HGH in particular, but the tradeoff was dying of cancer in a few years because all the mutations you accumulate over the course of your life start rapidly multiplying as well.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Billionaires: "It is not enough that we take these drugs. We must prevent others from having access to them"

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it increase the length of the telomeres too? Because without that there is probably a hard limit on lifespan.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously nonsense at this point (tiny study looking at particular markers with no control group), but people here are so negative. They're telling you there's a tiny possibility of being able to slow/reverse aging and ya'll jumping to shit about rich people.

Acting like people not dying or aging more slowly is some creepy dystopia. Do you want to get old and frail and die at 70?
People no longer dying off would further destroy the environment and place a massive political and economic strain on all nations.
What are you going to do when you have a hundred million pensioners in a nation of 300 million? It would collapse.
Or maybe you would just have to employ forced euthanasia past a certain age.