• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Haven't watched this movie in 15 years probably. The opening stuff on Coruscan and the Obiwan Jango fight, are like not that bad. The "romance" is of course awful, but I was like maybe this movie is not as bad as I remember.

But then from Tatooine on, this is one of the dumbest, most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. It's like a saturday morning cartoon in terms of plot, and the heroes make stupid decision after stupid decision.

And how the fuck was Anakin allowed to become a Jedi after slaughtering the sand people? Yoda straight up sensed that he did it!
The jedis are pretty much morons in these movies . The dark side clouds their ability to see so much they're dumber than normal people lol.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I liked it the most out of the prequels. TPM is by far the worst for me. I find nothing of value in that movie except the first 10 mins and the Maul fight.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The beginning is horrible too. The cartoon level sky diving is classic GL. The plot is still nonsensical (Padme assassination, etc). I've never agreed with "the beginning of AOTC is actually not that bad". Some of the designs are cool, but there are lots of cool designs in the PT.

The only thing that's halfway decent to watch is the Jengo/Obi fight, on the most surface/shallow level, and even then it's still pretty janky. And maybe Anakin finding Shmi.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm planning a compete rewatch of each film, starting with Episode 1 (for the first time since 1999) in the lead up to Episode 9.

I should be stopped.

I too am doing this, and watched AOTC tonight. I had completely forgotten that grevious wasn't part of AOTC and kept wondering 'how the fuck did they squeeze him into this movie, it's almost over' - then I realized my memory had melded EP2 and 3 together into one unforgettable mess.

Also, padme going from "Don't look at me like that, it makes me uncomfortable" with creepy leering anakin to "I love you, madly, deeply." within the span of a week, AFTER he admitted to killing an entire camp of sand people (women and kids included) is.. a stretch.

Yeah but then you get the cartoon-ish cgi.

qmRGFyD.gif

Also, I dunno if it's just 4k/hdr upscales of disney plus, but this scene did NOT look this bad on my TV at all, so maybe it's GIF compression reducing the colours to 128 that exaggerates the flat lighting here, but yeah.. Its not as egregious as this makes it out to be.

That said, the CG definitely did NOT hold up well at all.

Last edited:

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time I loved the Fett stuff, the massive numbers of Jedi, the slickness of Obi-Wan, the space battle, Christopher Lee as the new baddy, Yoda finally busting out that saber, Anakin fighting with two lightsabers, the huge stormtrooper battles, and the lack of Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar Binks.

I still do. It's miles beyond Episode I. Yes, the romance is garbage and Threepio and R2 are cartoons, but there's a ton of fun action in there. John Williams's love theme is great as well.

Oct 25, 2017
As bad as it is it still has 2 of my absolute favorite things from the series in it.
Across the Stars(top 2 Star Wars theme)
Jango's bombs.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The real crazy thing is the small scale of the clone army. 20,000? Up to a million?

It's less than once clone soldier per planet in the Republic.

There's an element to the entire Star Wars series where it has never really sold its scale very well.

Just rewatched the entire OT, PT up next, in anticipation of finishing the ST. I've loved the ST but my major, sole issue was how small it seems. Until I rewatched the OT, which feels just as small, if not smaller. Empire literally focuses solely on the main cast, with the additions of Yoda and Lando/Bespin, and Return of the Jedi doubles down on that with 1/3 of the runtime devoted to Jabba's Palace and only reintroducing us to the cast.

It made me consider why these seemed so large in scope, and I think it largely boils down to how a lot of us consumed so much of the EU growing up that we filled in a ton of details without realizing the films themselves kind of do a poor job of that.

That's not to say they are bad (OT, at least, because I'm both morbidly anticipating rewatching the PT for the first time since theatres). They just fit more into a usual space opera limited to specific characters set amidst a larger backdrop that seems larger in hindsight than it is in the moment. If anything, my rewatch demonstrated how so many of the perceived flaws of the ST were always there, obscured by distance.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Fallen Order has been great so I am trying to get into Star Wars since, despite having seen the movies in the past, I have known fuck all about Star Wars as a franchise. So I too started watching the movies and show last night. Watched Phantom Menace, read the Darth Maul and Anakin/Obiwan comics, and watched Attack of the Clones. I know the prequels were bad as a like, pop culture thing, but I always forget just how bad and, well... Bland they actually are. Ewan McGregor seems to be the only person on set who gave a damn. It really blew my mind. I'm watching Clone Wars now (the series+movie in chronological order) and am enjoying it, so that's a nice silver lining.

And THAT was the most feared bounty hunter that Sheev based his clones off of?
He also killed the assassin with a dart that *was a known clone signature*.

This movie makes the baffling choice of having Dooku reveal to Obi-Wan that a Sith Lord controls the Senate... and then three years later, in ROTS, neither Obi-Wan nor any other Jedi has yet to put together Palpatine = Sidious.

It's not even clear why Dooku tells Obi-Wan this. It'd be one thing if Dooku was conflicted about joining the dark side, but he still seems pretty resolutely the bad guy here and in the next movie!

The weirdest thing about this is that he tells Obi-Wan this when trying to persuade him to join the separatists. The thing is... "We are separating because the republic is inefficient and run by a sith" is a genuinely legitimate and valid reason to want to secede from the republic, so that line is weird all around. It genuinely makes no sense why Dooku would say it, given that he also *is a sith* in league with the Sith leading the Senate. Such a bizarre choice.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Obi Wan detective stuff is cool, and the brief hint that Deku might be a more complex character could have been interesting, but no he's just an evil lightning wizard. Rest of the movie is terribad.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
As much as I hate AotC, the Obi Wan detective stuff (the scene with Yoda and the younglings is actually...quite sweet?) culiminating in the equally cool Jango fight and space chase are some of the top moments of the whole prequel series.

It's just everything else in the movie drags it down soo severely.

Stull feel that C3P0 comedy was way worse thab Jar Jar Binks too. Way to make me hate 3P0 guys.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still hate this movie with a passion - it's one of the worst big budget blockbusters ever made - I never minded the cgi though.

Best thing that came out of it were the two Clone Wars Shows.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Horrible film. I still don't understand what happened with the music, the third act is mostly recycled cues from Episode 1.

My favourite part is when Padme just waves away a killing spree by saying "to be angry is to be human". Almost as good as Qui-Gon's "I didn't actually come here to free slaves". These characters are all monsters and deserved to die.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I was 10 when Phantom Menace came out so naturally I loved it.

Attack of the Clones was dog shit. I got to experience what older Star Wars fans felt when they watched TPM.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
As much as I hate AotC, the Obi Wan detective stuff (the scene with Yoda and the younglings is actually...quite sweet?) culiminating in the equally cool Jango fight and space chase are some of the top moments of the whole prequel series.

It's just everything else in the movie drags it down soo severely.

Stull feel that C3P0 comedy was way worse thab Jar Jar Binks too. Way to make me hate 3P0 guys.
Yup, the Obi-Wan plot's basically the only entertaining/non-brutal part of the movie, but it's almost frustrating because of that. Had they extrapolated that to a full Star Wars mystery film with the nonsensical parts of the mystery (the convoluted inciting incidents and lack of any kind of resolution across that film and its sequel), it could have been a really interesting film, but it's buried in just pure awfulness.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I just remembered another weird part: Anakin advocating for fascism, and then going 'it was just a joke!!' when questioned about it.

Lucas probably thought that was some genuine foreshadowing "poetry" but boy did it play weird.

Also odd things: Padme 'turning in for the night' when the sun is mid-sky in the background of the shot, and Padme also claiming to hate hiding but literally is introduced in disguise, the one major thing she is known for doing in TPM, literally a scene before.

What an odd movie, and seriously, what a strange script.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's a lot to like.

Bounty hunter chase at the start
Detective Kenobi
Jango / Kenobi
Clones coming to save the day.

The main thing that drags it down is the romance shit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the asteroid field sonic bomb things - at least in a cinema with proper sound
I loved right at the end seeing the clone army being controlled by Yoda with proto-star destroyers. Even with the bad CGI that was fucking cool

Hated the ridiculously rushed love story, and the messed up CGI of Anakin riding that animal thing. So bad. Stop playing with your toys Lucas.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
" From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you... I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me."

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I think the chase scene with Anakin and Obi Wan chasing the assassin through Corruscant is a massively underrated scene.

The films not great but it's not The Room tier as internet hyperbole would have you believe.

The film focuses too much on setting up the romance yet every vital moment of that romance is executed horribly. Things like Anakin floating the apple towards her are done well but then you have lines that are mumbled and said with a dead stare like some sort of Bodysnatcher.

But I do think the one single scene were Anakin discusses his fascist ideas to Padme is very well done. There's an ironic sense of whimsy to it that works really well.

Otherwise aside from nitpicking the biggest issue with it is that it has the worst CGI. Most of the environments are CGI, even just basic corridors and rooms. I realised just how many physical sets Phantom Menace actually has after watching them cinsecuitively. There are some shots that look like worse than what I'd expect from LEXX.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
17 years later and I still don't know why Jango Fett outsourced killing Padme, only to directly supervise said outsourcing.

I think the idea was that the bounty hunter doing the hit was supposed to be caught, and Jango naturally didn't want to play that part. It wasn't important whether the assassination succeeded or not. Jango's job was to plant the seed that would draw the Jedi's attention to Kamino so that the senate would become aware of the clone army available to them.

Of course, I doubt Jango was aware of all of this. He was being played by Sidious, like everyone else. While the movie makes no statement about the events that I can remember, I suspect he was specifically instructed to not perform the hit himself.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Slightly off topic, but I saw ep1-3 a couple of years ago and I thought they were terrible. It has put me off watching any Star Wars movies, but now I'm thinking of catching up with the last 4 movies (ep7, ep8, Rogue and Solo).
Are the movies from this decade better than ep1-3?

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
The real crazy thing is the small scale of the clone army. 20,000? Up to a million?

It's less than once clone soldier per planet in the Republic.

They say '20,000 units'. Which is either 20,000 soldiers or if a unit meant a platoon, then something like 200 million or so (a figure so large it actually is a bit too big).

Sci-Fi always struggles with numbers.

like literally not question at all where this fucking army comes from

"oh saifo dias ordered?, i guess it's cool then, even if he died several years ago and there is no way to know for sure he indeed did it, and why"

In the Clone Wars TV show they explain this more (yes it would have made sense to put it in AotC or really RotS as Dooku's last line to mind fuck the Jedi).

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I love how at no point did the Jedi think it was suspicious that the Republic Clone Army is based on COUNT DOOKU'S MAIN HENCHMAN. The same Count Dooku who literally told Obi-Wan that Darth Sidious controlled the Republic. Oh and by the way the order was placed 10 years ago, exactly when Palpatine became Chancellor. Oh and exactly the same time Dooku left the Jedi Order. Oh and someone mysteriously erased the location of the cloning facility from the Jedi Archives. Something that only a Jedi could do. Oh and whoever ordered the army apparently gave the name of a dead Jedi who was killed...10 years ago.

I understand that George was trying to show that the Jedi were arrogant but the plot is so crude that it just makes them look like utter morons. Everyone in the prequels is dumb as a rock. Apparently Sifo-Dyas' name in the script was originally Sido-Dyas but George changed that because it was too obvious...yeah.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
literally needed to be cut \, like how tf did they think the final version was ok for theatrical release

Oct 27, 2017
The entire movie should've been obi wan traversing the galaxy playing detective and then stumbling on the droid/ clone army stuff

I know that anakin and padme are needed because yadda yadda yadda but still it was bad

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
" From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you... I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me."
Yeah lol...are we all going to just ignore the creepshow that is Anakin in this movie?!

Forget the bad overall plot and acting....if this movie came out today it would be torn to shreds for his and Padme's "arc"

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Last time I've watched AotC, I thought it was worse than I was thinking. Nothing makes sense and the film drags like hell. Only thing I enjoy from it is the space bomb sfx. TPM is a much better movie (better than ROTS too)

Are the movies from this decade better than ep1-3?

I do think they are a lot better, but there are lots of people here who prefers the prequels.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They say '20,000 units'. Which is either 20,000 soldiers or if a unit meant a platoon, then something like 200 million or so (a figure so large it actually is a bit too big).

Sci-Fi always struggles with numbers.

In the Clone Wars TV show they explain this more (yes it would have made sense to put it in AotC or really RotS as Dooku's last line to mind fuck the Jedi).

i have seen all of Clone Wars

the secret dies with the clone trooper

and no jedi ever knows about it

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really wish those movies had never existed. I actually had a nightmare once where Clone Wars Ananykin kept feeding me meatballs until I died. Not sure what my subconscious was trying to tell me there.