• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Man, Judy and her pink armada really did my girl Jem dirty.

The Jem movie did Jem dirty. How the hell do you screw up that concept?

Though I suppose Hannah Montana was basically a Jem imitation? I didn't catch much of that show but it seemed similar in principle.

I'd like to see them do boardgames, especially the ridiculous stuff like Fireball Island. The Milton Bradley Gamemaster series (Axis and Allies, Shogun, etc) and Avalon Hill would be goid subjects as well. Parker Bros would be much more mainstream though, and I'm not sure how sordid or sinister the story would actually be.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Avalon Hill games are a very specific niche and that niche was NOT kids.

As a kid in the 80s, i LOVED the Gamemaster series (I still have my Fortress America box!) but I was the only kid that I knew that even knew what they were and NO ONE ever wanted to play it hah. That would definitely NOT be a proper subject for this series. These are supposed to be toys that helped define us - those boardgames weren't played by enough kids to have had as broad an impact as stuff like GI Joes, Barbie, Transformers, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Now G.I. Joe is dead except for maybe one or two figures per year and Star Wars stuff is super-articulated.
It's a crazy world.
Actually besides the collector club kitbash(with maybe a new head or two.) set and SDCC Transformers crossover exclusive set GI JOE is completely dead.
Toysrus hasn't even had a new Joe figure since mid 2016

Last edited:

melonrabbit

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere

Though I suppose Hannah Montana was basically a Jem imitation? I didn't catch much of that show but it seemed similar in principle.

I'd like to see them do boardgames, especially the ridiculous stuff like Fireball Island. The Milton Bradley Gamemaster series (Axis and Allies, Shogun, etc) and Avalon Hill would be goid subjects as well. Parker Bros would be much more mainstream though, and I'm not sure how sordid or sinister the story would actually be.

Well Judy helped sabatoge the toy line which effected the cartoon.

And yes, Hannah Montana is pretty similar. Minus 80s fashion, time travel, and super computers.

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
Binged these this weekend, pretty interesting and entertaining.

During the GI Joe episode when they were like "But there was one toy that stood above all others" or whatever I was like, "The Aircraft Carrier!!!" I haven't thought about that since I was a kid but as soon as they dropped that hint I knew what they were gonna say. Only knew one kid that had one but remember seeing them in stores.

Definitely going to grab my He-Man and GI Joes out of the attic this week!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

I'm still kinda salty were not getting a sequel. I didn't watch the movie, but that having Kesha leading the Misfits would've gotten me to see both movies.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just now the story of the hellcat popped back in my head, how the designer actually kept going against the order to just take the tiger from a different line.

hTArPxj.png

M6UZRDO.png

JZv1SWA.png

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The Barbie and He-Man episodes were amazing. It's just really great and entertaining to hear all these anecdotes by the creators of the toys. It's as fun as it's interesting — and that's although I don't have much (or in He Man's case: any) attachement to the brands. I suppose the show could have been somewhat more critical of their topics, but that's probably just the price to pay to get these creators on board.

Watched a bit of the G. I. Joe episode, but while it's interesting as well I can't say I'm enjoying that topic much. America's flavor of patriotism and glorification of the military is just deeply disturbing to me. I can't relate to that at all.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is amazing. I binged the first four episodes a few days ago and my favorites are the He-man and Barbie episodes by far. So many hilarious moments like how for He-man they basically bullshitted their way to success or with the Barbie lady pulling off some corporate espionage and having her team snipe the competition and beat Jem to market. Her smiling face as she's done telling the story is just priceless lol.

Anyone know when the next episodes are slated to come out? Transformers were my shit as a kid so that's what I'm looking forward to the most. And I'm gonna be extremely surprised if there's no Ninja Turtles episode. Those were massively popular back then.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I learned the creators of Barbie were all nutcases. What a soap opera.
The other three toylines by contrast were a lot more normal, though the He-Man bunch sure were quirky.

Really looking forward to the LEGO episode, that ought to be a hell of a story.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
The Snake Eyes origin blew my mind.

Only saw the He-Man and Gi Joe episodes. I'm gonna go back and watch the rest this weekend.

Really want to see one for the Transformers. Maybe add in some Gobots in there.

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the star wars and he-man one. Both were good, though the He-Man one was really good. The star wars one covered a lot of ground i already knew. But they hit some fresh stuff with He-Man.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the He-Man episode was clearly the best of the initial four. God, I had so many Masters of the Universe toys when I was a kid.

Oct 27, 2017
original Transformers, GI Joe and Shogun Warriors were my jam back in the day. I hate to be that guy but they really don't make toys as well as they used to.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Now that they confirmed S2, i insist that they need to do an My Little Pony episode, because it would force them to actually for once go on detail into the modern era, with the 4 episodes so far they seem to be capping out in the 80s (witht the exception of the Barbie episode making a nod at the Bratz debacle), i was fairly disappointed that GI Joe didn't get a mention of the disastrous "GI Joe EXTREME" 90's Line and He-man didn't get mention of the 00's relaunch, even star wars only gets a mention of the modern era as an after thought; but with My Little Pony, they absolutely can't ignore the 2010's revival and Brony phenomenon.

Watched a bit of the G. I. Joe episode, but while it's interesting as well I can't say I'm enjoying that topic much. America's flavor of patriotism and glorification of the military is just deeply disturbing to me. I can't relate to that at all.

You missed the best bit of trivia ever tho: Fan fave character Snake eyes was coincieved as cost cutting measure of seling a featureless figure painted in a solid color and calling him a ninja.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
If i had to say my prediction/wish list i would say:

TMNT, MLP, Thundercat and Hot Wheels would be in it.
Not sure about Thundercats, were they that big in the 80's, I can't remember their toy line being that big at the time.

I could see Care Bears being one for consideration.

Also Voltron, with Netflix doing the current series, maybe shining a light on the original and how that series was brought over from Japan.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
TMNT would make me so happy.

really, for me the he-man episode was the perfect episode. completely bizarre toys.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure about Thundercats, were they that big in the 80's, I can't remember their toy line being that big at the time.

I could see Care Bears being one for consideration.

Also Voltron, with Netflix doing the current series, maybe shining a light on the original and how that series was brought over from Japan.

Dont know if there is enough Voltron stuff to really do a full episode. Lot of toy lines had really short lives, only being around only a year or two before dying off, or not having a ton of releases. Stuff like TMNT is obvious cause it lasted so long.

I think Cabbage Patch Kids, Strawberry Shortcake would be contenders.

I've only seen four episodes, isn't there supposed to be eight?

There is 8, they are still finishing the last four of the season to be released sometime soon. The renewal is for another set of episodes

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ugh, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy was this thread bumped if the second set of episodes isn't up yet

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
God damn. I'm on the last episode of Better Call Saul and was stoked to see this pop up. Seems so weird to split up the season like this in the first place to be honest.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know if there is enough Voltron stuff to really do a full episode.
There is some interesting things they could go into for Voltron, like how the original Lion series we got was the wrong Lion series and the whole brand could have gone into a different direction, plus the choice to merge 3 unrelated series into one narrative (this was pre Robotech) and then the whole how poorly received vehicle Voltron was it forced them to scrap Gladiator Voltron for more Lion. Also you look at the range for and there were a tonne of things made for it.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
There is some interesting things they could go into for Voltron, like how the original Lion series we got was the wrong Lion series and the whole brand could have gone into a different direction, plus the choice to merge 3 unrelated series into one narrative (this was pre Robotech) and then the whole how poorly received vehicle Voltron was it forced them to scrap Gladiator Voltron for more Lion. Also you look at the range for and there were a tonne of things made for it.

I actually liked Vechicle Voltron more than the Lions as a kid. I had the giant matchbox Vehicle Voltron diecast set. And yeah, Voltron merchandise was everywhere. Action figures and the Voltron lions that went with them, playsets, the diecast toys, several different rubber and plastic smaller toys, lunchboxes, clothes, party supplies, basically everything you needed for a kid you could get that thing with VOLTRON on it. It wasn't as big as Transformers or GiJoe but for about a year or two it absolutely dominated.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Watched all four episodes this past week. Loved the one diabolical woman on the Barbie team who talked about destroying their competitors before they even had a chance.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Aw, like everyone else I saw this thread bumped and figured it meant the other episodes had a date or something! I really wanna watch the Transformers one!