• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The narrator just kills this for me.

I really want to enjoy it, but I cannot get past that narration.

This, and the cringeworthy 'comedy' editing. Putting a ping sound over a wink was allready old before the 80ies.

Watched the first episode and finished it because as a Star Wars fan it was interesting enough, but due to the style this is made in I don't feel like watching the rest.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Like others said, too bad about the narrator and silly sound effects. But still, very detailed info on each episode. Bring on Lego please for S2!

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the first episode. Interesting info trapped in 80s nostalgia circlejerk. This and Ready Player One is starting to really annoy me. I'm curios about the Barbie episode and Polly Pocket, the rest of the toys I'm meh about.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The 80s were an amazing time to be a child in. Not only did you have toys like The Transformers, G.I. Joe, He-Man, Shogun Warriors or Voltron, but you also had some pretty high quality cartoons to go along with them. Then of course, there was also Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons.

edit: LOL. Watching the first episode and can't help but to be annoyed. When I was six, I had a Star Wars themed birth day party, and all I wanted was a single Luke Skywalker. My cake was a Darth Vader head, and I ended up getting not one, not two, but three Darth Vader figures, and not a single Luke.

Last edited:

SevketErhat

Oct 27, 2017
North Cyprus
The 80s were an amazing time to be a child in. Not only did you have toys like The Transformers, G.I. Joe, He-Man, Shogun Warriors or Voltron, but you also had some pretty high quality cartoons to go along with them. Then of course, there was also Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons.

Good old days my man. What is Shogun Warriors by the way ? Never heard of it

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Good old days my man. What is Shogun Warriors by the way ? Never heard of it

They were basically the cool, articulated robots that preceeded The Transformers and Voltron. They also might have been a bit too dangerous for the mainstream though as many of them had spring-loaded rockets you could shoot, or even a fist.

Shogun-Warriors_Robots2.jpg

94ce63419b10663d2d3ba34b7ff6b5c6.jpg

edit: Remember the Tranzor Z cartoon? You're looking at his brother.

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the He-Man episode and didn't like it very much, there were some interesting bits of information but the editing and voice over was so annoying. The entire "who created he-man?" thing for example, I get it, there are differences of opinion and several guys taking credit but who wants to see a fight enabled by the producers (the Mattel guys were clearly reacting to "so and so said" remarks by the interviewer).
I didn't care for the "She-Ra killed the MOTU line" dig either, that was completely unnecessary because the real reason was revealed five seconds later, Mattel flooded the market with tons of random characters which cluttered the toy shelfs and didn't sell.

The production had access to people with really interesting stories to tell but instead of simply telling the story they had to make it funny or quirky or whatever they thought that was. It felt very unprofessional and that's a shame considering the access they had to people with interesting stories to tell.

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed them all. But I think Plastic Galaxy did a better job on Star Wars toys. Would recommend it.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My anus contracted watching this show.

Just watched the SW ep and I'm surprised it took this long for that to get referenced. That came out of nowhere, hilarious. I was only going to watch the SW one but I guess I should go back for He-Man.

Really looking forward to Lego and TF in particular from the next eps. A few years ago I got into collecting TF toys and a few masterpieces but those are so expensive that I cut it out. Also I didn't want it to get out of hand. Glad to have MP Prime and Soundwave though.

My childhood toys of choice were TF, Turtles and Lego by far. I had a whole bunch of those and they're not going anywhere.

Goliath

Oct 28, 2017
Best thing I ever did was salvage all these toys from my parents attic when I bought my first house at like age 24. I knew they'd pitch it and figured "if they could store it for that long now I can". Still have a ton of Star Wars and GI Joe stuff in my basement today in boxes.

I want an episode on the b-tier toys, the M.A.S.K, Go-Bots, Construx, etc.
There are a bunch of YouTube documentaries on those. I love watching them.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Watched the He-Man one. Was pretty meh all things considered. I guess I expected more.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I want one on M.A.S.K. toys, which were the coolest toys IMO.

They were awesome no doubt, fun playing with my cousin's but never had those of my own. The Star Wars episode was interesting since I never knew these stories behind the figures. My favorite during those days was always GI Joe, so looking forward to that episode next. The fact that they were significantly more articulated than the SW toys always made them my fave even back then.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They were awesome no doubt, fun playing with my cousin's but never had those of my own. The Star Wars episode was interesting since I never knew these stories behind the figures. My favorite during those days was always GI Joe, so looking forward to that episode next. The fact that they were significantly more articulated than the SW toys always made them my fave even back then.

Now G.I. Joe is dead except for maybe one or two figures per year and Star Wars stuff is super-articulated.
It's a crazy world.

Last edited:

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first two episodes so far. The format seems accessible enough for people who are not hardcore toy nerds to get into but not mouth-breather basic like a YouTube Top 10 Things You Didn't Know (and neither did we until someone read the wikipedia entry) video.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The He-Man was probably the best one. It's incredible to see how that entire franchise began on bullshit and lies.

They were lucky that some very talented people expanded on their great initial ideas each step of the way. Ended up being more than a toy line for lots of people.

Yup, the He-Man episode was great. I pretty much had the opposite reaction to the She-Ra line, I wanted to play with those toys with my Masters, but gender shaming forbid it. I had to play with my cousin's She-Ra at her house when nobody was looking.

Overall a nice appetizer for the Power of Grayskull documentary, which I hope will be out soon.

I think a big reason why He-Man tanked is Filmation stopped making new episodes to do She-Ra. They should have kept making some He-Man episodes. I didn't care as much about the figures that weren't in the TV show. I watched a decent amount of She-Ra.

He-man was the best one yet and Barbie close second. I honestly liked more He-man for the cartoons rather than the toys tbqh

They had some tremendous writers including the future creator of Babylon 5 and a guy who would be executive story editor for that show. Couple people who worked on Batman: The Animated series and wrote acclaimed episodes of that too (Paul Dini being one).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
They need to get Dan Larson on the show but really you can get more information with less cheese and no interviews on Toy Galaxy so I suppose...?...it's like the competition.

Also got a bonus at work and totally grabbed the He-man and Skeletor Classics figures thanks to that episode and the interview with Super 7 on it.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Watched the first four episodes and I really enjoyed them all. Any other recommendations for stuff similar? It can be on Youtube Netflix whatever. Don't mind if its not even quite as professional as these. He-Man was probably my favorite episode but I even really enjoyed the Barbie one, even more so than the G.I. Joe ep. Also I wasn't born until 1990, so this is all just me viewing it as an outsider I guess since I wasn't around for a lot of this stuff.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Watched the He-Man episode first as it was my top passion as a kid. It's hilarious how cynical the creation of the line was, it was basically oozing contempt at the little shits who will play with the new toys

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Watched the He-Man episode first as it was my top passion as a kid. It's hilarious how cynical the creation of the line was, it was basically oozing contempt at the little shits who will play with the new toys

You should still watch the rest of the series, but yea that episode was great.

1. He-Man
2. Star Wars ( Just cause I learned a few tidbits I never knew. )
3. Barbie
4. G.I. Joe

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Hoping for a TMNT, Police Academy, Ghostbusters and Transformers episodes, those wer one of the best toy I had in my infancy besides "Comandos em Ação" ("Commandos in action" how the G.I. Joe line was called here)

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the 4 episodes, my wife and three children all watched every minute of each episode along with me. I can't even begin to describe how that never happens. I mean, it NEVER happens. Really enjoyed all of them.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
He-man ep was great fun. I loved how they got Dolph Lundgren to come over but only used him for one question for a few seconds total. Guess I'll watch the Barbie one too since I can't get enough of these.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Nice show, but man that intro animation is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Watched the He-Man and GI Joe ones, it's amazing how they were flying by the seat of their pants as far as creating stories and tie-ins.

Honestly, though, it's probably the best way to make successful toys; Design neat toys first, then build the properties around them. All the coordination and preplanning that goes into cartoon properties today probably makes for a better work structure and more congruent world-building, but it's no coincidence that practically nothing catches fire in the action figure aisle when "make things that kids will want to play with" isn't really part of the initial process, just an afterthought that comes after the show's already made.

I'd like to see a modern show that takes a page from those 80s properties and concerns itself with a solid stable of 'toyetic' designs first, then works outward from there. Cartoon writing is as good as its ever been, but most properties just don't translate to the toy aisle well.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Did they talk to the guy who came up with the Dragonwalker?
219-10-slow-speed-chase-gif.gif

VehDragonWalker1a.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
They were basically the cool, articulated robots that preceeded The Transformers and Voltron. They also might have been a bit too dangerous for the mainstream though as many of them had spring-loaded rockets you could shoot, or even a fist.

edit: Remember the Tranzor Z cartoon? You're looking at his brother.

Hang on, was Tranzor-Z the show where the girl robot shot her tits off as rockets so the guy robot could grab them and fly around ?

Oct 31, 2017
He-man was before my time but I love this episode was super interesting. The creation of the IP is fascination. Great series, overall.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the He-Man one was my favorite
BONG!
. Got me hyped to read the Masters of the Universe comics I just bought from the Amazon sale.

Anyone know when the next four episodes are going up?

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the Star Wars ep. Wasn't as good as HeMan ep for me. Maybe cause Star Wars was a bit before my time at that point in the toys. The license deal was interesting though.

Not sure if I'll watch Barbie and GI Joe (it was all about Action Man for me).

If your British we had GI Joes, it was just called Action Force, action force were also apparently loosely based on the bigger Action Man also.