• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm convinced this whole thing exists to launder money. I don't know what else is the point or why a company would try and bring this to market.
The way Tommy Tallarico talks about it it sorta feels like a bit of a reliving his childhood kind of thing? Pretty expensive way to go about it, though..

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
That's not for you, this forum or any other forum to decide. The general mainstream consumer market will decide. It might well fail but if it does it'll be because the general market decided that. Not ResetEra. I wish them luck, they're at least trying to get this off the ground and I give them credit. Have you ever tried to concept and get something like this off the ground? Didn't think so.

A lot of people posting on many forums are just armchair analysts that really have no clue what's going on. I truly hope this thing sells to their expectations and gets some success

Pretty sure Ninjascooter is the one who decides if he eats his own asshole here, Bh.

Unless you're mandating some kind of forced asshole-eating panels.

Also, unless you've ever eaten your own asshole, you can't speak about the viability of autoanusphagy.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'll eat all the assholes if I have to. I feel that strongly about this.

Yep. We've all seen a lot of dumbass consoles and handhelds over the years. Some of them at least had a semi-decent pitch.

The Ouya had a better pitch than the Amico. The Tapwave Zodiac(my greatest shame, I purchased one) had a better pitch than the Amico. The Ngage had a better pitch than the Amico. The Game.com. The Phantom. On and on. Name a stupid idea, it still made more sense than this stupid thing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. We've all seen a lot of dumbass consoles and handhelds over the years. Some of them at least had a semi-decent pitch.

The Ouya had a better pitch than the Amico. The Tapwave Zodiac(my greatest shame, I purchased one) had a better pitch than the Amico. The Ngage had a better pitch than the Amico. The Game.com. The Phantom. On and on. Name a stupid idea, it still made more sense than this stupid thing.
How did OUYA have a better pitch? "Remember when people played games on their television? Now you can do that again, but now every game will have microtransactions!" compared to "Remember those simple pre-NES games, now you can play them again but with better graphics and sound".

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The games look like Unity asset flips. I'm all for throwback games, but give us some whimsy or artistry or something. It doesn't look like anybody wanted to make these games.

The whole system looks like the modern equivalent of an Action 52. Hopefully we at least get a new Cheetahmen out of it.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
What you call "solving a non-problem" is appealing to a niche. People with fond memories of the simplicity of Atari-era games, but would like better graphics/sound than was available then.

Except they are not "appealing to a niche", even in their video they are stating they are catering to the "3 billion casual gamers".

I doubt the target demographic for this hardware has "fond memories" of Intellivision, I bet a good chunk of ERA users even have that. This is likely targeting young families, with parents that grew up in the NES / SNES era. Atari is a more recognizable brand and yet, I even doubt they would have knowledge of franchises on that hardware besides Pac-Man and PONG or whatever was used as a pop culture reference.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm afraid to watch the trailer. >_<

The screenshots look great! Especially the Airplane one. Old games with graphic upgrades seem interesting to me.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How did OUYA have a better pitch? "Remember when people played games on their television? Now you can do that again, but now every game will have microtransactions!" compared to "Remember those simple pre-NES games, now you can play them again but with better graphics and sound".

OUYA had a successful Kickstarter campaign which means their pitch was successful

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
OUYA had a successful Kickstarter campaign which means their pitch was successful
So how does that make their pitch better than this one? Do you really think that people have stopped playing video games on their TVs, and only play games on their phones? But would like to play games on TV, if only they had a cheap box that could do it?

Except they are not "appealing to a niche", even in their video they are stating they are catering to the "3 billion casual gamers".

I doubt the target demographic for this hardware has "fond memories" of Intellivision, I bet a good chunk of ERA users even have that. This is likely targeting young families, with parents that grew up in the NES / SNES era. Atari is a more recognizable brand and yet, I even doubt they would have knowledge of franchises on that hardware besides Pac-Man and PONG or whatever was used as a pop culture reference.
[/QUOTE]
So they are bad at marketing, and optimistic - that entire video is proof of that. Heck, Tallarico said that for his spoken bits he didn't plan what to say, he just had them point the camera at him and talked. But listen to what they actually say, they are very obviously making this because of fond memories of Atari-era gaming, the simplistic games they had back then, and want to recreate that feeling for both people who played games back then, and a new audience.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So how does that make their pitch better than this one?

mobile games already have a built in audience so inexpensive micro consoles based on Android seemed like a decent idea. Also I don't see any successful crowdfunding campaign for the Amico.

To wit people (potential consumers) gave OUYA money based on their pitch, No potential consumers have given anything to make Amico a reality

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
mobile games already have a built in audience so inexpensive micro consoles based on Android seemed like a decent idea. Also I don't see any successful crowdfunding campaign for the Amico
Do you see any failed crowdfunding campaign for it? Also, note that the OUYA pitch was NOT to play existing mobile games on a TV, they didn't want that at all (even if it's what they got). The pitch was to play new original console games on your TV, period. The pitch was that gamers no longer play games on their TV, and would love a cheap box that would let them do so.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If that is the shirt that you pick, to reveal a console...I'm not getting close to that product.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious how this video is talking about trying to make something family friendly but it has the same "epic" production of a hardXcoreXgamer AAA trailer.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you see any failed crowdfunding campaign for it? Also, note that the OUYA pitch was NOT to play existing mobile games on a TV, they didn't want that at all (even if it's what they got). The pitch was to play new original console games on your TV, period. The pitch was that gamers no longer play games on their TV, and would love a cheap box that would let them do so.

Regardless of what the pitch actually was, people gave them money for it. That's the point

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was already laughing through the trailer and then the release date came up and I totally lost it. Why even bother failing so hard at promoting your console if it doesn't even come out for over a year? What's the plan here??

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Ouya: $99 Android box anyone can develop for. Normal looking controller with standardized inputs included.

Amico: A more expensive version of a cheap Chinese knockoff console. "Exclusive" ripoffs of old arcade games you can literally play on anything.

You're telling me that's a better pitch?

Again, we are talking about the initial pitch, not the final product.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This console is for family and casuals players followed by this:

giphy.gif

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
They're seriously just trying to make off with a bunch of investor money. This thing looks absolutely awful.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ecco clone. No Jim. Thinking the 300 billion who play games casually are going to buy a console. Craziness.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
So they are bad at marketing, and optimistic - that entire video is proof of that. Heck, Tallarico said that for his spoken bits he didn't plan what to say, he just had them point the camera at him and talked. But listen to what they actually say, they are very obviously making this because of fond memories of Atari-era gaming, the simplistic games they had back then, and want to recreate that feeling for both people who played games back then, and a new audience.

Two big warning signs that point to a hodge-podge of slapdash, misty-eyed ideas about the good old days...reminds me of something;
hqdefault.jpg

All sorts of big promises about the huge exclusives they were going to land, the good old days are coming back, aren't games so complicated nowadays??? All complete horseshit. That's not to say Tallarico is trying to pull a con like Mike Kennedy was with the Coleco Chameleon, but the core idea is so deeply flawed. Simple games never went away, they're more popular than ever, and pretty much every platform is well served with them. Retro collections abound, remastered classics, re-releases, old genres being revived and finding their audience again, all on hardware that also does the other stuff that people inevitably drift back to once the novelty of old game design wears off. The simple games Tallarico mentions are often available for free on the phones that people already own.

Good luck to him, I really think he's going to need it. Ditch the hardware and just fund the revival of those old classic games he wants on existing platforms...much less of a barrier to entry.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
A missing part of the debate on Amico above is the appeal to developers. There is none. Having game prices capped at $7.99, content restricted to E10+, requirement for games to be exclusive thereby limiting upside, and lack of both Unity and Unreal support will make development harder, more expensive, and with less commercial potential than almost any alternative platform.

The opportunity cost and risk are high relative to the limited upside, which just doesn't make this platform a good place to invest time and resources. Especially when the likes of Apple, Google, and Epic are throwing around money to bring content to platforms with much bigger upside.

Ditch the hardware and just fund the revival of those old classic games he wants on existing platforms...much less of a barrier to entry.

This would have been a better play - revive the brand as a digital publisher of casual and hyper casual games on mobile and web, including reinvigorating their classic licenses. Still a challenging marketplace, but massively more viable as a business model than where they are headed.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I can't say I disagree with his mission statement. I think it would be fun to play some of the simpler games with my young kids, and it might be good to bring to a family get-together. I could see the appeal

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I can't say I disagree with his mission statement. I think it would be fun to play some of the simpler games with my young kids, and it might be good to bring to a family get-together. I could see the appeal
Not really when Nintendo already exists, and not only the Switch but their past consoles too, if people look for something simpler at that point they'll just play a board game.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I could too if this were priced at around $80 and pre-loaded with a bunch of games. And if Nintendo Switch didn't exist.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not really when Nintendo already exists, and not only the Switch but their past consoles too, if people look for something simpler at that point they'll just play a board game.
I could too if this were priced at around $80 and pre-loaded with a bunch of games. And if Nintendo Switch didn't exist.
I say this as a Switch owner. It's still an 8-button twin thumb stick affair and part of the great thing about Switch is you can take more complex games on the go. I'm not saying I'd buy one of these, just that I can understand wanting a simpler game experience you can share with casual gamers

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Purely a vanity project. I wish them the best of luck - should be a fascinating ride to watch.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I just wonder if those 3 billion people that they're talking about are playing games or are they simply filling up the voids of time between activities in their daily lives. Is gaming for them a destination or something to do along the way? This thing has to be super cheap if you even want a shot at those people who have literally an infinite supply of free games to play with steadily rising production values.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
A missing part of the debate on Amico above is the appeal to developers. There is none. Having game prices capped at $7.99, content restricted to E10+, requirement for games to be exclusive thereby limiting upside, and lack of both Unity and Unreal support will make development harder, more expensive, and with less commercial potential than almost any alternative platform.

You know, I kind of understand what they're aiming for with capping prices at $7.99 and restricting content to E10+. They're clearly focused on producing inexpensive, "family-friendly" games, and want to keep the message consistent.

The requirement for games to be exclusive, though...that's where it goes off the rails. I can't see many third-party developers investing their best efforts into an original game for a new and unproven platform, that they're forever restricted from bringing elsewhere.

Likewise, I can think of many awesome low-priced indie games, which would be an excellent fit for Intellivision's ambitions with the Amico...except we'll never see them on the Amico, since they already exist for other platforms.

This policy is a double-edged sword, and they're getting self-inflicted wounds from both edges.

This would have been a better play - revive the brand as a digital publisher of casual and hyper casual games on mobile and web, including reinvigorating their classic licenses.

I agree, and I've suggested the same thing in the past. Build their brand by producing their flavor of games on other platforms.