• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

First Final Fantasy game you played?

• Final Fantasy (NES)

Votes: 195 18.6%
  • Final Fantasy 4 / 2 US (SNES)

Votes: 110 10.5%
  • Final Fantasy 6 / 3 US (SNES)

Votes: 90 8.6%
  • Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)

Votes: 359 34.3%
  • Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • Final Fantasy 9 (PS1)

Votes: 34 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 184 17.6%

• Total voters

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It was Final Fantasy II (FFIV). Heck of a game that I adore to this day, but it's not my favorite.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy X. I saw the box art in a Target and loved how bright and fantastical it looked. My mom noted the name of it and then bought it for me for Christmas. I never ended up beating it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
FF4 on the SNES. My dad had it growing up but I never knew what kind of game it was until I randomly played a bit of it in 2002 and my mind was blown that "turn-based games where you increase stats" was an entire genre of video game and not just something unique to Pokemon.

Still one of my favorites, though I prefer the Tactics games and X (which I actually didn't play until the HD remaster).

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
First one was IV on the GBA. It did little to turn me on to the series. Everything I saw in it was done better in Chrono Trigger to such a degree that it wasn't even that fun.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
FF1. Even before I got the game, I read the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide issue religiously to the point of memorization(yes an early issue of the magazine was entirely dedicated to FF1 acting as an official strategy guide). It was an effective marketing tool as I had zero interest until that issue arrived in the mail.

Though I did enjoy FF1, it wasn't until FF4/2 US that I fell in love and became a hardcore fan. Not just of FF, but RPG's.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IV and it's still me favorite game of all time

latest

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
3 on the DS. Now I absolutely love the series. Eternal Wind holds a special place in my heart.

I freaking love when the Shadowbringers main theme works this theme into the song near the final minute or so. Recall the first time I watched the intro I was half-listening doing dishes and then I was like "WTF? FF3 remix!!"

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
4 was the first one I watched growing up at my neighbors house. 6 was the first I played by myself.

I credit Final Fantasy as a major motivation for my learning to read.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I watched my brother play VIII quite a bit, but my first was X. Tried going back a little over a year ago and stopped after 3-4 hours. While I can't get into it for the gameplay, I still love the word and style of that game.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
VII.

I can still vividly remember the first time I saw the game. I was 8 years old, and my brother's friend had brought his PlayStation to our house to show it off. He was fighting the little egg enemies outside of the Gold Saucer, and used Knights of the Round on them. My mind was fucking blown.

He also showed us the snowboarding and chocobo racing. That game was unlike anything I had seen before. It seemed like you could do anything in it.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it was X.
Watched my brother play some of the PS1 ones before, but X was the first I actually played and finished myself.
Played through VII after that and some of VIII and IX, but never finished those. Never really tried the earlier ones.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The first time I heard about FF, was FF3 (FF6), a friend wanted to rent it, so we could play it on his SNES, but unfortunately, the copies were all already rented.

I didn't hear the FF name again, until much time later, when a friend let me install the FF8 demo on my PC. The graphics and everything looked amazing, so I begged a friend to let me borrow his PS1 and let me play it.

It was certainly not a good first time. I hated Squall and much of the cast, even when I kinda liked the gameplay. He let me borrow his FF7 copy and it was the same, I hated Cloud and most of the cast.

Thank god another friend lend me his copy of FF9 and I finally found a FF with actual likeable characters (sans Amarant lol)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Technically VII, in the form of a scratched up demo disc that'd freeze up during the very first fight.

More tangibly, X.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
probably renting mystic quest for the snes in the early 90s. i was like six and had no idea wtf i was doing and only got a few hours into it. good times!

i think 4's gonna be the intro for a whole lot of people though, that game was everywhere

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
X, young me dropped it quite quick. Has since tried multiple times to beat it but old me just can't either.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy X when I was five years old. That game really started everything in terms of gaming for me.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
VII.

I can still vividly remember the first time I saw the game. I was 8 years old, and my brother's friend had brought his PlayStation to our house to show it off. He was fighting the little egg enemies outside of the Gold Saucer, and used Knights of the Round on them. My mind was fucking blown.

He also showed us the snowboarding and chocobo racing. That game was unlike anything I had seen before. It seemed like you could do anything in it.
Now I have the Gold Saucer theme song stuck in my head. Thx :p

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 4/2 though I did buy 1 soon after because of how much I loved the former... (this chart though is really confirming a lot about what I thought on 7's fandom).

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My post history will probably tell you the answer but yeah it was FF7. I was into writing and novels and was going to pursue being an author before I played FF7, which made me feel like I had a book I can play, which put me down the video game path.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was Final Fantasy 8. I still remember seeing the ads for the game on TV and thinking it looked so god damn cool and better than anything I'd ever played before. I talked about it so much that both my mum and dad bought copies of it for my 11th birthday and we ended up having to return a copy.

From there I went back to 7 by borrowing a friends copy that he bought after watching me play 8 and the franchise became the reason why I got a PS2.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy was the first, then we rented 3(6) a couple times not long after.

Craig Majaski

Nov 1, 2017
I played the original Final Fantasy on the NES back in June of 1990. Was so excited to finally get to play and it lasted me all summer long. Such fantastic memories and that soundtrack was amazing for the time as well!

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 1 on the NES was the first one I played. Don't think I've ever beat it but I remember liking it to a degree. My parents played it more.

Final Fantasy 2 aka Final Fantasy IV on the SNES I played through to completion countless times and is what made me fall in love with series originally.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Final fantasy 2/4 for snes

I remember renting it and having no idea what I was doing

It was not only my first ff but first rpg game

Ironically it wouldn't be another 10 years until I get to play/Buy/finish a ff game

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think it was FF Legend II on the original Gameboy. Sill have fond memories of that game. Must have played through it from start to finish at least 10 times.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
FF1. I barely played it though. In terms of actually playing through the full game, that'd be FF6.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IV, albeit the DS entry. Back then I was 11 and was really into watching video game trailers on the Wii's Nintendo Channel. Somehow I saw FFIV through it and had to have it. Since then I've obviously gone back to the backlog of FF games, but IV will always have the most nostalgia for me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy for NES
Got lost multiple times and restarted FF1 a lot back in the day. Finally took me writing stuff down in a notebook to navigate everything.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI, but it was basically just the very beginning at my much older cousin's house. That march through the snow is really etched into my mind. Then I played partway into disc 1 of FFVII, but I was still too young for it.

FFX was the one I got for christmas when I was 10, and hooked it me on the series. Then I went back and played all the ps1 games, and then the others on emulators and gba/ds remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It wasn't until FFVII that the series started seeing release locally and without a PS1 when it first released I mostly missed any kind of hype around it. FFVIII was the first Final Fantasy I played and it blew me away, a playthrough of FFVII soon followed.