• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
So recently i have been turning more into my conolse than PC. just due to now working at home and not wanting to sit at my desk for an entire day.

Previously i had a 32" 1440hz 1440p screen and it was very nice but felt it limited me a little for my actual daily job now we arent in the office.

I then ran with one 1440p and one 1080p screen and whole it was ok the clutter was driving me insane with the screens having different heights and stuff.

So i was in the market for a 21:9 but then i saw the lenovo legion y44w-10 32:10 screen for a ridiculous price only £450! it was on the Lenovo site and was definitely a price error as the very next day they removed the price but i couldnt pass up at that price.

Now for its RRP which is over £1k it seemed to get very average reviews which is probably pretty fair, its just a TN panel its 44" 32:10 aspect ratio and is not 1440p vertical res, instead uses 1200px, making the resolution 3840 x 1200. HDR is only HDR400 so pretty pointless.

But for £450 its pretty fantatic! ive only tried a handful of games and it is ridiculously immersive. WItcher 3 and Doom made my jaw drop! and slight bonus that 3840 x 1200 isnt that hard to push on my Vega 64.

Sports games are epic as well on PES i can see the entire pitch winch is a legit game changer, and if anything its even more useful for my day job (web and content development) its a legit upgrade in every regard over 16:9.

I cannot go back to 16:9 now for PC use, and its made me come back to PC gaming again! I havent tried any game that doesnt support this aspect ratio, im sure ill be disappointed with the pillowboxing but it is what it is.

Here are some crappy quick snaps. (Yes my desk needs a good tidy and straighten up)

rnBfcCD.jpg

DJBNqqC.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was a gamechanger for me. I'd rather game on it than my 4K TV. The added FoV is so good.

sora2k7

Oct 28, 2017
I havent tried any game that doesnt support this aspect ratio, im sure ill be disappointed with the pillowboxing but it is what it is.

I have a 32:9 1440p samsung and I love it but every time I play a game that does not support the aspect ratio I get a bit sad. And thar includes games supporting ultra wide

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Holy shit. You're gonna make me double dip on Yakuza when I get a monitor like that. That looks so good. More pics, please (especially if you have Forza Horizon or something with beautiful vistas).

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'll keep saying Ultrawide > 4k/8k. I don't know why this isn't part of the features of next gen systems. 60fps/Ultrawide/1440p.

Nuff said

OP
OP
stoke1863

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit. You're gonna make me double dip on Yakuza when I get a monitor like that. That looks so good. More pics, please (especially if you have Forza Horizon or something with beautiful vistas).

sorry dont have FH4 installed, its an awesome game but i ununsitalled it once i completed it, here are some more quick snaps

F1 2020 (racing games are awesome in ultrawide)

xou6F34.jpg

jeXhZqG.jpg

Witcher 3

wWp1mqK.jpg

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Man, that looks nice. I went with 21:9 ultrawide because I really need that extra vertical rez for work. Are there any 1440+ 32:10 screens otu there?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting silly now.
I hope they go even further. Super Mega Ultra Wide.

I almost got a cruddy regular 21:9 Ultrawide monitor, but I'd have to buy a new desk for it to fit, and basically redecorate the room to make the desk fit etc.
Just became too much of an expense and bother.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Magnificent, isn't it! Only issue I have (Samsung CHG90) is with older games that have spotty support for anything greater than 16:9 ratios. Sometimes you'll have the game fullscreen but cropped and lose out on hud, and some games have weird windowed support that doesn't play very nice. But for modern games? Absolute game changer, and like you I can't go back.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
got an ultra wide 1080p 144hz screen. Best upgrade I ever made. games run incredibly smooth and my 2070super should be good for the next few years.

Honestly, a lot of console gamers don't know what they are missing out on with the extra real estate.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Come post some screenshots in the UW thread

www.resetera.com

Ultrawide Screenshot Thread

Let's post our Ultrawide gaming screenshots, and convince our 16:9 Brothers and Sisters to join the Ultrawide army! PLEASE INCLUDE THE GAME NAME My screenshots are taken at 3440x1440, and hosted on Google Photos for maximum quality. Edit: Don't do this apparently Google Photos doesn't like...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I love these Ultrawide shots that show the monitor itself. Really shows how big the difference is when sitting in front of it. I find 21:9 to be the sweet spot but these are great as well!

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Looks awesome, I'm a big F1 fan and those shots in particular are amazing.

How is game support these days? I remember when ultrawide could cause a lot of issues.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I rolled my eyes when I saw the thread title but after seeing the PES shot...holy shit indeed.
Thank you OP for showing me the way.

Which console is most likely to replicate this?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would love ultra wide but I can't find one in a decent price range without heavy compromises. Shame really.

Oct 31, 2017
Yep never going back to 16:9 for me. Even movies look better for me! The only sad thing is that game pass for PC doesn't support modding the aspect ratio so there are some games like RE7 that are still stuck at 16:9

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does window management work on an UW? With regular monitors you just drag your apps/windows inbetween them, is it as easy on an UW?

OP
OP
stoke1863

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
How does window management work on an UW? With regular monitors you just drag your apps/windows inbetween them, is it as easy on an UW?

sorry for the late reply,

You have to "snap zones" like normal windows but you can download a program called power tools and you can make as many snap zones as you want, works really well.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Im stuck trying to figure out if I should get an HDR 120hz tv or a ultrawide... Its so difficult

Nov 3, 2017
It works even better for retro-gaming.

I just installed the Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas crossover mod Tales of Two Wastelands. Playing that one on 31:9 is a gamechanger. You feel like you`re really there, in a way I didn`t think possible before.

Also, 31:9 modded Morrowind is ridiculous! Magnificent!

I mean, it`s so natural to notice stuff out of the corner of your eye!

Yes, you have to fiddle with some games. Playing Outer Worlds means fiddling with FOV and resolution a lot, but when it works then it`s amazing!

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Wow. That looks good.
But then in some games you'll get black rectangles on the sides of the screen, and that must suck.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing drawing me closer to 21:9 is watching movies almost properly, in addition to games. So this would lose that benefit for me. But it does look great.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Looks awesome!

I wonder how much of the wow factor is also due to how restrictive the FOV has been on games, especially on consoles the past decade? Sometimes I get the impression developers feel the pressure to hit certain sales lingo metrics on resolution and framerates that they go for a narrower FOV to keep the action from overburdening the game engine.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The thing drawing me closer to 21:9 is watching movies almost properly, in addition to games. So this would lose that benefit for me. But it does look great.
Watching movies on UW is huge. As long as they're formatted properly (no black bars on top *and* bottom) they look glorious. I have an 85" TV and TBH it's a toss up. TV gets more use because I can watch with others and have a much better sound system, but the UW monitor looks just as great, if not better, when you're sitting there right in front of it.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Slightly unrelated, but I use my 55" OLED as a games monitor, and figured, mostly just out of interest, I would see if I could play games in ultra-wide resolution. Yes, it would introduce black bars to the top and bottom which you'd argue is a waste of the real estate, but I'd effectively be able to experience the effect of an ultra-wide monitor right out the gate.

Has anyone tried this? I've tried adding some custom resolutions to my Nvidia control panel but it hasn't really worked in-game. Just screwed with the aspect ratio a bit. Admittedly I haven't put too much effort into it, so was wondering if anyone had tried this out to give me any pointers.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
You need to make sure that scaling in the NVIDIA Control Panel is set to the GPU and not the monitor and that it is set to preserve the aspect ratio, and then the custom resolutions should work and give you black bars on the top and bottom

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly unrelated, but I use my 55" OLED as a games monitor, and figured, mostly just out of interest, I would see if I could play games in ultra-wide resolution. Yes, it would introduce black bars to the top and bottom which you'd argue is a waste of the real estate, but I'd effectively be able to experience the effect of an ultra-wide monitor right out the gate.

Has anyone tried this? I've tried adding some custom resolutions to my Nvidia control panel but it hasn't really worked in-game. Just screwed with the aspect ratio a bit. Admittedly I haven't put too much effort into it, so was wondering if anyone had tried this out to give me any pointers.
I actually do this right now only because I have an nvidia shield tv for streaming and my main PC monitor is an ultrawide, so streaming will sometimes use a 3440x1440 res with black bars. It wasn't exactly nice with my old TV since the black bars would have blooming on them but ever since getting an LG CX, they now stay pitch black.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
32:9 is really cool when my it works but I've run into too many situations where, even with hacks and cheatengine the 32:9 solutions aren't great. It's been enough that I don't use my 32:9 as a primary gaming monitor anymore and have moved it to my workstation.

But when it did work... Damn was it cool.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I actually do this right now only because I have an nvidia shield tv for streaming and my main PC monitor is an ultrawide, so streaming will sometimes use a 3440x1440 res with black bars. It wasn't exactly nice with my old TV since the black bars would have blooming on them but ever since getting an LG CX, they now stay pitch black.

Yeah, thanks to Metal Gear?!'s advice above, I just got it up and running and yeah, with the pitch black bars, it's great. One of the quiet blessings of OLED is when you're watching/playing ultra-wide content in a dark room, effectively you can't even tell the screen isn't ultra-wide, because the black bars just disappear. Looks pretty fantastic.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
People exagerate how bad black bars are...
Once you're in game, they "disappear" and it's like a regular 16:9 monitor tbh...
Here are some expamples from my 32:9 Oddyssey G9 (G-Sync 5120 x 1440 240Hz HDR1000 1000R curved monster)
Sorry for potato phone camera photos.

ZoYu6OI.jpg