• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
3S is absolutly my favorite FG of all time and an incredible footsie heavy grounded FG. Although, with the addition of parry, it opened up aspects like jumping...if you knew what to parry and when. While it might not seem like it, parrying allowed the player more access to screen space and movement...more than any other SF. The SF3 series was also one of the first to allow the player to dash. I remember constantly practicing my buffer backdash/forward dash timing because you could rapid fire each hop that Ken/anyone took. Parry in general opens up a variety of mind games, including the 'empty jump' as well as several parry bait options. Approaching a matchup could be vastly different from one player to another because of this.

SF3 actually had much more mobility options than SF2 and the Alpha series. It's a fast, in your face, moment to moment fighting game.....................that breaks down completely at high level, lol.

We don't need more combos. Games don't need to be unga bunga to be fun. We need to have mechanics and character traits that allow for at least a little bit of human player expression...and that doesn't have to execution heavy at all. Power Rangers is a great example of that.

Ah I totally get you now. The way you explain it I can see how third strike allows player expressions to shine through the game.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need more combos. Games don't need to be unga bunga to be fun. We need to have mechanics and character traits that allow for at least a little bit of human player expression...and that doesn't have to execution heavy at all. Power Rangers is a great example of that.

I don't agree. Mechanics are one half of the equations

NexusCell

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't agree. Mechanics are one half of the equations
Mechanics may not the only part, but they play a significant portion of the life span of a fighter. I like SFV, but I won't deny that the game is pretty flowcharty in how you are suppose to play. Every punish, combo, and even the V trigger mechanic feels really artificial to me, like I'm just doing exactly what the developers intended instead of pushing the limits of the gameplay system.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mechanics may not the only part, but they play a significant portion of the life span of a fighter. I like SFV, but I won't deny that the game is pretty flowcharty in how you are suppose to play. Every punish, combo, and even the V trigger mechanic feels really artificial to me, like I'm just doing exactly what the developers intended instead of pushing the limits of the gameplay system.
People play super turbo till this day

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get about Max, and this isn't a negative, is that he talk a lot about freeform creativity and mobility yet his favorite game is third strike... like third strike is a fantastic game but the mobility is nothing to write home about, it got the usual dash, one character has a super jump and a double jump. Third Strike is also a pretty rigid game in terms of creativity with some exceptions like aegis combos or ex tengu stones, especially for a Ken main like him.
Max isn't playing this game -> Max hates this game -> This game sucks

I mean it's unfortunate that Max isn't interested in GBVS but it's not going to deter me from playing it. Plus for Anime games I go to Koefficient anyway.

This. Nothing negative against Max, but the FGC doesn't live and die with him...he is just a content creator who specializes in video games. He doesn't (really) compete, he's not a game designer, he hasn't (to my knowledge) consulted on any titles either like Clockw0rk, Justin Wong or SonicFox. Project L will make a huge impact on the FGC whether he likes it or not. I guarantee if you Riot Games comes to him with an offer to make a new Assist Me! series based on Project L his tune will change...

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
This. Nothing negative against Max, but the FGC doesn't live and die with him...he is just a content creator who specializes in video games. He doesn't (really) compete, he's not a game designer, he hasn't (to my knowledge) consulted on any titles either like Clockw0rk, Justin Wong or SonicFox. Project L will make a huge impact on the FGC whether he likes it or not. I guarantee if you Riot Games comes to him with an offer to make a new Assist Me! series based on Project L his tune will change...
Geez, you people are starting to act like he has completely wrote off the LoL fighting game.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
I guarantee if you Riot Games comes to him with an offer to make a new Assist Me! series based on Project L his tune will change...

Holy actual shit.

You say you aren't compltely sold on a game based on approximatly 200 total frames of early footage and everyone starts losing their minds.

nwld.gif

Oct 25, 2017
"Nothing against the guy, but I bet he can easily have his opinions swayed by some money"
"also lemme completely mischaracterize what he expressing his opinions mean just because"

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

What the hell is this post lmao

Max didn't even trash the game. He seems cautiosly optimistic about some aspects and vaguely dubious about others

Also, I think he worked on KI? Maybe not as a consultant but he def did marketing stuff

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Nothing against the guy, but I bet he can easily have his opinions swayed by some money"
"also lemme completely mischaracterize what he expressing his opinions mean just because"

Absolutely. Max is a content creator...his job is creating content. He is going to do what is in his best interest financially just like anyone else with a job. I don't see him running streams with Them's Fighting Herds constantly, or playing the demo of Blazing Strike. Is it because he doesn't like either game? Possibly. But is also because his audience at large (his revenue stream) might not be that interested in that content? More Possible.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Max is a content creator...his job is creating content. He is going to do what is in his best interest financially just like anyone else with a job. I don't see him running streams with Them's Fighting Herds constantly, or playing the demo of Blazing Strike. Is it because he doesn't like either game? Possibly. But is also because his audience at large (his revenue stream) might not be that interested in that content? More Possible.
You really think he's like that when he's pretty much the sole content creator of mvci in this planet?

Oct 25, 2017
So can I offer you a buck to make you never post again?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Or maybe he hasn't heard of them? Blazing Strike is ultra-niche even within the FGC (I had to google it myself and I interact with fighting game content daily) and he actually gave Them Fighting Herds a shoutout on a netplay video. Although he called it "the fucking pony game" lol

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Holy actual shit.

You say you aren't compltely sold on a game based on approximatly 200 total frames of early footage and everyone starts losing their minds.

nwld.gif

vvkSAa2.jpg

Kinda applies here

Geez man, let the guy play/stream whatever he wants to play/stream.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019

How ready are you right now?

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vvkSAa2.jpg

Kinda applies here

Geez man, let the guy play/stream whatever he wants to play/stream.

Agreed. I'm not demonizing him as an individual. All I am saying is that he is a content creator and a very successful one at that. But to believe that some of his decisions are not financially motivated is unrealistic.

Oct 25, 2017

if all Max wants is maximum public on twitch
why would he even stream fighting games in the first place lmao

Lemme just say it again he is probably the dude who covered and still covers the biggest range of fighting games both on stream and on youtube, out of love for the genre. You don't have to like the guy or his content (I don't follow his channel at all) but stop talking shit about what you clearly don't have a clue.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I'm not demonizing him as an individual. All I am saying is that he is a content creator and a very successful one at that. But to believe that some of his decisions are not financially motivated is unrealistic.
Dude (dood?), Max is right here in the thread, even talking to you. Why not address him directly?

Oct 25, 2017
Dude (dood?), Max is right here in the thread, even talking to you. Why not address him directly?
I mean, h0mebas3 start this by stating that Max's opinion on Project L doesn't matter since he's "just a content creator" but then follows it up with the absolute truths that the game will be huge and that Max will accept money to change his tune.

And that somehow equals to taking finances in consideration when choosing which game to stream. Completely the same.

Don't expect much from the clown.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing another member

Those videos are a small subset of his overall content. I
How ready are you right now?

Even looking at the view counts for the videos on Them's Fighting Herds ( I just glanced briefly), the first one had almost 50K views where the last one had only 4K. Subsequent to that, no further content in the playlist. So would it make sense for anyone to continue putting time and energy into generating content that only generates 4K worth of views or move on? All I am saying is that, Max--like any other content creator on YouTube--will continue to generate content that makes him money. Could it be he didn't want to cover it anymore? Sure. Could it be it wasn't financially a good move? More likely. This is economics 101...

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, h0mebas3 start this by stating that Max's opinion on Project L doesn't matter since he's "just a content creator" but then follows it up with the absolute truths that the game will be huge and that Max will accept money to change his tune.

And that somehow equals to taking finances in consideration when choosing which game to stream. Completely the same.

Don't expect much from the clown.

One question. Do you think his decisions are financially motivated? Yes or no. Curious to see what your opinion is. Do you think he isn't algorithmically looking at which content generates the most views and factoring that into his future content creation decisions?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Those videos are a small subset of his overall content. I

Even looking at the view counts for the videos on Them's Fighting Herds ( I just glanced briefly), the first one had almost 50K views where the last one had only 4K. Subsequent to that, no further content in the playlist. So would it make sense for anyone to continue putting time and energy into generating content that only generates 4K worth of views or move on? All I am saying is that, Max--like any other content creator on YouTube--will continue to generate content that makes him money. Could it be he didn't want to cover it anymore? Sure. Could it be it wasn't financially a good move? More likely. This is economics 101...
Twitch subs are what really matter, not YouTube. And personally I think a good chunk of people watch his streams because of him and not solely because of whatever he's playing.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She having a reppuken style fireball makes me wonder if there will be some sort of universal ground dodge like KoF's roll.
that's... interesting... It would give absolutely no excuse to new players in zoning(except they get roll read and thrown evertime... now that i think about, they're probably gonna complain about how cheap throws are... god...)

She's clearly a Yagami.

Orochi Ahri will be the final boss

Saxophone intensifies

tenor.gif

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
If Max only carried about what's best for his financial intrest, why the fuck would he make fighting game content lol

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Max only carried about what's best for his financial intrest, why the fuck would he make fighting game content lol

Probably the same reason he isn't configuring ECMP in NSX and Vin Diesel doesn't make movies where he reads poetry, hehe. And it's not the only thing he's concerned about it, but it definitely has to be a motivating factor. If it's not he's the lucky businessman in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
that's... interesting... It would give absolutely no excuse to new players in zoning(except they get roll read and thrown evertime... now that i think about, they're probably gonna complain about how cheap throws are... god...)
I do think having some sort of active defensive maneuver is easier to catch on (and teach) new player. People understand dodges from other genres, people love Smash and that has dodges, runs and parries, etc. There's tons of visual feedback and is intuitive to use, unlike pushblock, dead angle or whatever. In that sense, I think SF4 had the right idea with Focus Attacks.

Plus yeah, it helps dealing with projectiles (and big limbs/weapons, which most certainly are going to be a thing in the roster, sooner or later).

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think having some sort of active defensive maneuver is easier to catch on (and teach) new player. People understand dodges from other genres, people love Smash and that has dodges, runs and parries, etc. There's tons of visual feedback and is intuitive to use, unlike pushblock, dead angle or whatever. In that sense, I think SF4 had the right idea with Focus Attacks.

Plus yeah, it helps dealing with projectiles (and big limbs/weapons, which most certainly are going to be a thing in the roster, sooner or later).
rising thunder did have a burst mechanic so it wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for a universal defensive mechanic. Never thought of rolls though. I would be all for it too.