• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
This game's netcode is going to be incredible.

I'm excited to see how many LoL die hards play and stick with this game... if it's even a fraction of them, that will make this one of the most popular fighters out there. And presumably more popularity = larger, more hype tournaments.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Staying tuned for how big of a success this is/how many people it brings in to the fighting genre.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
And how many stick with it.
If League itself didnt die after trendy game after trendy game pop up, Im pretty sure there would be enough reason for people to stick with it
Plus, it's f2p. A combination like this hasnt really existed before. If only a fraction of the League player base is sticking with it, that's still huge

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
I wanna main one of the cute critters, i would love to see the salt pouring out of people while i beat their ass with a fluffy little friend

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks way too much like SFV for me to be optimistic about this. Still, Riot has some very interesting characters it has has been failing to really exploit for years, so if they get creative with movesets and character diversity, it could be pretty interesting. That's assuming the visual quality of it is miles beyond what they gave us in this clip, of course.

I doubt it will take off with the FGC though, unless they pull something really special out of their hat in terms of legitimacy. Their mention of latency and cheating was a good start though.

More than one person has said this already. How does it look anything like SFV outside of being a 2D fighting game?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More than one person has said this already. How does it look anything like SFV outside of being a 2D fighting game?
Textures, animations, saturation, training room. Mostly a take on visuals, but that's most of what we have right now. Aesthetic matters though, at least to me. Happy to recognize distinctions once we have more.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Textures, animations, saturation, training room. Mostly a take on visuals, but that's most of what we have right now. Aesthetic matters though, at least to me. Happy to recognize distinctions once we have more.
I don't really see it, other than the training room (other FGs have similar training rooms anyway)

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You find guilty gears tutorial boring? That's interesting. How do you think they should approach it?
I truly feel there's a ton of room for applying it in a story mode that has never been explored in fighting games. I'm sure someone more versed in pedagogy can go into detail more clearly, but having the menu based tutorial mode where you move from topic to topic after a completion is not an effective way to learn new concept. (if you've never played fighting games before)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I truly feel there's a ton of room for applying it in a story mode that has never been explored in fighting games. I'm sure someone more versed in pedagogy can go into detail more clearly, but having the menu based tutorial mode where you move from topic to topic after a completion is not an effective way to learn new concept. (if you've never played fighting games before)
I think they should do both as some are not interested in playing story modes but still want to learn the specific intricacies of the game. That story mode idea is definitely the next step that someone needs to do.

Oct 25, 2017
If they gonna copy anyone's tutorials it has to be NRS's. You wont find any better and more in-depth tutorials with playable applications anywhere else.
Aren't KI tutorials the standard anymore?

Based on this prototype footage the camera zooms in when characters are nearer to each other.

Am I the only one that hates this in 2D fighters.
Probably. It was one of the most hype features of old SNK titles =P

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's hilarious so many people championing this game as the next big thing after 3 seconds of footage.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't KI tutorials the standard anymore?

Probably. It was one of the most hype features of old SNK titles =P
Just cuz of the initial wow factor. The sprites got all fucked up with pixellation every time it happened.

Nowadays that's not an issue but I still prefer visual consistency.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think this looks like Street Fighter V.

Shit looks great to me. To potentially see some of the wild cast of LoL animated like this is amazing to me.

Velkoz_2.jpg

Give me insane celestial horror Shuma Gorath/Vel Koz please.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious so many people championing this game as the next big thing after 3 seconds of footage.

I think they're championing it because League of Legends is a huge IP and the most played game in the world. A fighting game with pedigree and money behind it utilizing an IP that big is bound to make waves unless it somehow ends up being bad.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I think they're championing it because League of Legends is a huge IP and the most played game in the world. A fighting game with pedigree and money behind it utilizing an IP that big is bound to make waves unless it somehow ends up being bad.
What's fascinating is that if people are looking for a fighting game with:

- major and popular IP
- developer with money backing
- one button specials
- heck, one button combos too
- even a seperate button to block

Why aren't people jumping on Granblue Fantasy Versus? that fulfills most of what people are clamouring for plus it's releasing early next year.

It'll certainly be interesting what Riot will bring aside from F2P model but the proof will be in gameplay as usual.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why aren't people jumping on Granblue Fantasy Versus? :V that fulfills most of what people are clamouring for plus it's releasing next year.

FWIW: breaking into granblue's lore without entering into a gameplay loop that's fairly unsatisfactory (at least it was for me) is really hard. At least there's an anime to draw people in, but I don't blame anyone not being excited about GBVS because it's "a spin off of that gacha game".

That being said, I am very excited for GBVS.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

- major and popular IP
- one button specials

Why aren't people jumping on Granblue Fantasy Versus? that fulfills most of what people are clamouring for plus it's releasing early next year.

It'll certainly be interesting what Riot will bring aside from F2P model but the proof will be in gameplay as usual.
The obvious reason is Granblue Fantasy is not big in the West and isn't close to being the most played game worldwide. It's also a mobile game at heart.

People were interested in Rising Thunder because of the talent involved and how it played, and it died and evolved into this.

Another reason why people are interested is because the game is virtually guaranteed to have the best netcode/online experience.

dorikyasu

Oct 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm not familiar with LoL characters due to personal lack of interest in MOBA, but always excited to see another entry in the 2D fighter genre. Hope it plays well!

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Another facet in the "it's Riot" assumptions is that this game will have excellent online. That's extremely important. The discussion about netcode in fighting games has hit an inflection point, and with so many major fighting games having disappointing online, having an upcoming notable one which will likely have good netcode is a big deal to many.

GBVS' beta had good online. But overall, ASW has left people disappointed over and over again.
It's huge for people who has some emotional investment in Riot games. I'll wait for mechanics and gameplay.
I've never played League of Legends in my life and I'm excited for this. My feed is full of fighting game fans who don't play LoL and are excited for this. Enthusiasts know that this will be a big deal with a company heavily invested in netcode, competition, community relations, and with a ton of money. Fighting game fans are tired of other FG companies being complacent in so many ways. Have you seen the discussions that Sajam has brought up recently regarding netcode or just fighting game devs somehow not learning from one another? Riot and Project L is the perfect thing to challenge this status quo, and that's what has people excited.

Naturally, what will matter the most here is if the game is actually good. People aren't just taking it for granted that it will be.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
FWIW: breaking into granblue's lore without entering into a gameplay loop that's fairly unsatisfactory (at least it was for me) is really hard. At least there's an anime to draw people in, but I don't blame anyone not being excited about GBVS because it's "a spin off of that gacha game".

That being said, I am very excited for GBVS.
I mean, if it's purely gameplay related Granblue Fantasy Versus ticks most of the boxes that people are expecting from the fighting game made by "the developers that brought us Rising Thunder".

If it's due to lore/story, then I can't really relate, since I don't really play fighting games for that. I know nothing about LoL but when this does come out I will try it if it's decent (just like I know nothing about GBF except the potato girl).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, reminds me of Rising Thunder but with a bigger budget and not only about bulky robots. I wonder if it'll be easy to get into but hard to master like RT too.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- major and popular IP
- one button specials
- even a seperate button to block

Characters are a big part of fighting games and there have been many who have not been interested in the lineup thus far from that game.
It's huge for people who has some emotional investment in Riot games. I'll wait for mechanics and gameplay.
To be honest we got a taste already from Rising Thunder. Practically the same team from that game is working on this one so it's not hard for use to decipher how the game will turn out. Also, many people are happy about the possibility of their favorite characters in fighting game form.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if it's purely gameplay related Granblue Fantasy Versus ticks most of the boxes that people are expecting from the fighting game made by "the developers that brought us Rising Thunder".

If it's due to lore/story, then I can't really relate, since I don't really play fighting games for that. I know nothing about LoL but when this does come out I will try it if it's decent (just like I know nothing about GBF except the potato girl).

Oh sure, I mean if you're looking for a good 2d fighting game on the horizon, there's no reason to avoid GBVS or project L. But when it comes to prerelease hype, I'm not surprised things are quiet. People in the GranBlue threads are way more excited about the initial roster than anyone I've seen in the beta. I'm just like "Yes, that character looks alright".

Characters are a big part of fighting games and there have been many who have not been interested in the lineup thus far from that game.

Or just aren't familiar.

Granted, the only LOL character I know is Jinx and that's because of the cosplay scene. One of the things that GBVS and Project L are going to have to do is indear newcomers to their respective casts. Neither property has enough reach to just go "WE GOT JINX! GIVE US YOUR MONEY!" and expect a huge windfall