• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda cartoony lighting, I prefer the original look
8H7CKT1.jpg

Can someone post a screen shot of the second level? The screen on Twitter is the area before you rescue the lady in the school. That'll give a much better comparison of the difference. I uninstalled my game after beating it a few months ago, so I don't have a save of that area.

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I remember the Crysis lighting looking more realistic and less cartoony.

Would be more hyped if this was a Series X/PS5 launch title instead of being on PS4/XB1.

EsferZ

The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Spain
Can someone post a screen shot of the second level? The screen on Twitter is the area before you rescue the lady in the school. That'll give a much better comparison of the difference. I uninstalled my game after beating it a few months ago, so I don't have a save of that area.
Best I could do

O02eG5d.jpg

Very High and no mods at 1440p

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The colors still feel wrong. LOD improvements are great but I need to see how the new lighting system looks. I am not yet sold on it.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
That looks good. I was hoping they would stick the the more neutral lightning of the original.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Looks alright. We've really come a ways since the original but these improvements do help. I came to Crysis late by a few years after its initial release once PC parts to run the thing acceptably weren't as cost prohibitive and even then it didn't blow me away like I was hoping. The level design was certainly fantastic and a great evolution of Far Cry's wide linear island hopping sandboxes, but it didn't wow me as much as FC did at release, it felt like a natural evolution of that gameplay and map design. Clearly they're worlds apart graphically but I'm talking impact overall for me when I first played them.

Also stuff like the breaking trees and huts didn't floor me as much as what something like Half-Life 2 was doing with physics for the time.

Make no mistake this isn't some Crysis sucks post I think its a strong game just tech wise I wish I was able to be more wowed when I first played it. I loved Crysis 3's art direction and ruined nature reclaiming NYC in a dome theme, then again I did play that one at release.

I'll still check out this remaster after seeing more gameplay videos, definitely in for the RT stuff.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I will be talking about this stuff soon enough but yeah, there should be some nice and BIG differences in LOD for everything.
Yep, huge LOD upgrades. Saturation changes are an odd choice, but okay.

It's a definite upgrade over Crysis, but naming these "PC exclusive" settings "Can It Run Crysis?" is awkward when it doesn't hold up visually at all compared to games like RDR2.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's a definite upgrade over Crysis, but naming these "PC exclusive" settings "Can It Run Crysis?" is awkward when it doesn't hold up visually at all compared to games like RDR2.

Is it tho?

They clearly are memeing alongside with PC community who to this day use that question as meme. It has very little to do with actual graphical brunt of any game.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Is it tho?

They clearly are memeing alongside with PC community who to this day use that question as meme. It has very little to do with actual graphical brunt of any game.
When it's exclusive to PC? I'm not so sure. I wonder if this might genuinely be hard to run, just for the sake of it. Pushing the engine to absolute limits, but without the visual splendour this time around.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Looks alright. We've really come a ways since the original but these improvements do help. I came to Crysis late by a few years after its initial release once PC parts to run the thing acceptably weren't as cost prohibitive and even then it didn't blow me away like I was hoping. The level design was certainly fantastic and a great evolution of Far Cry's wide linear island hopping sandboxes, but it didn't wow me as much as FC did at release, it felt like a natural evolution of that gameplay and map design. Clearly they're worlds apart graphically but I'm talking impact overall for me when I first played them.

Also stuff like the breaking trees and huts didn't floor me as much as what something like Half-Life 2 was doing with physics for the time.

Make no mistake this isn't some Crysis sucks post I think its a strong game just tech wise I wish I was able to be more wowed when I first played it. I loved Crysis 3's art direction and ruined nature reclaiming NYC in a dome theme, then again I did play that one at release.

I'll still check out this remaster after seeing more gameplay videos, definitely in for the RT stuff.

The most impressive part for me was the on the fly suit powers and weapon changes.
You could without pausing or opening a menu change the scope against a red dot, or add a flashlight, drop the silencer, while running through the woods.
The same for the suit powers, while running you could activate the strength option and jump, or enable the cloak function, and so on.
I hope they don't mess that up with those remakes.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
When it's exclusive to PC? I'm not so sure. I wonder if this might genuinely be hard to run, just for the sake of it. Pushing the engine to absolute limits, but without the visual splendour this time around.

Honestly, as crazy as that would be, it would be very fitting considering the original Crysis also runs like crap due to engine issues lol.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Honestly, as crazy as that would be, it would be very fitting considering the original Crysis also runs like crap due to engine issues lol.
Haha! Yeah, for sure. But at least it looked bleeding edge in return for that performance. This does not. Maybe that's not a problem, and I'm just sad they didn't push it visually as much as they pushed the original. I really loved that game, both for the open ended gameplay and the tech leaps they made.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
In light of the color grading changes and the increased LOD, they should've renamed it Far Crysis

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
looks fine

remaster of a 2007 game, i duuno what some of yall realistically expect

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
There are improvements basically in every part of this image:

- tree rendering and shadow casting is at least 5x further into the distance...the mountain is just a flat texture with super low poly detail in the original shots.

In the updated one you can see the mountain in the background has foliage and rock detail that just doesn't exist at all in the original.

- lighting seems far more accurate overall...eg the player's gun is somehow shadowed in the original despite being in full sunlight. In the remaster the gun looks like the sunlight is hitting it directly, which it is.

I think people are getting thrown off by the colour grading - the remaster has a much more saturated look.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
The tech improvement is non negotiable, the lighting direction which is not technical limitation but a personal taste thing I find worse.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I hope they make the performance of the remake less CPU frequency-dependent. It would be nice to run at a constant 60 FPS.