• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Hate U Give, Love Simon, Hidden Figures.....

Disney: "Not family friendly enough"

tl note: not family friendly means wont make a billion dollars

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure. I know. Doesn't mean I mustn't lament it?

Look, I understand people are happy with some franchises coming back in Marvel studio's hands. But it's annoying to me people welcome this deal in a celebratory way, while it's overall effects are quite negative. And when you point this out you're just a 'Marvel hater', which, for the record, I'm absolutely not (I see all MCU movies in the first weekend)

I'd go as far as to say that anyone who is a serious lover of film should lament it.

For me personally, the MCU re-acquiring Marvel IP's is merely a silver lining.

And remember, A LOT of people aren't in the know and don't understand the history and reasons why this change is so profoundly troubling. (you clearly do)

Most people consume film the way they consume food; with little thought to how it was made or the history and struggles therein.

Oct 29, 2017
There was less redundancies in that merger since AT&T bought Warner to have a foothold in entertainment, while this was more of an IP purchase. The job loss should/could be way more important in the second case.
is it more of an IP purchase? Disney appear to be planning to make good use out of Searchlight and 20th Century in order to diversify their movie offerings. I'd be surprised if these don't operate similar to how they did prior to acquisition just answering to Horn.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Ding ding ding

People in this board are weird, man. Mergers and layoffs happen in the corporate world constantly. All of a sudden these people woke up and are focused on this one.

This forum was full of people saying "I can't wait to see MCU tears when Comcast is the winner". Now all of an sudden it's "but these poor people!"

Transparent as hell. Y'all ain't clever.

Thank you. People are mad that they didn't win an argument, and so they try to find another way to support their position. It's human, and shitty.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
A small fraction of this board actually reads the material the thread is about and another decently sized fraction likes to come into threads like this and complain about Disney. Both are a huge waste of posts and time (especially since it leads to pointless bickering like in this thread).
What? I would think someone reading the OP and material it's based on and then posting wouldn't be a waste of time. Everyone should at least skim the article before coming in to post.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where does the idea that Disney only does family friendly stuff come from? The 90s? Adult content has a ton of fans. They'd be stupid to not create that type of content. They make...everything. It's why they have lots of money.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There would have been less lay offs with the Comcast deal

giphy.gif

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
is it more of an IP purchase? Disney appear to be planning to make good use out of Searchlight and 20th Century in order to diversify their movie offerings. I'd be surprised if these don't operate similar to how they did prior to acquisition just answering to Horn.
Yea I was gonna say this. They're gonna untilize the studio more than ever to make content for Disney+.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure the main reason was to better leverage their future streaming service because while they most likely will sill release Searchlight and 20th Century movies, there's only so many movie you can put in theater in a year. They have to fit Disney Animation, Pixar, Disney live action, Marvel, LucasArt, 20th Century Fox and Searchlight in a calender year. Knowing that Fox is releasing about the same amount a movie a year than Disney, some stuff are going to get thrown out.

I personally don't expect streaming to salvage most of that.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's like none of you concern trolls even read the fucking article. Fucking transparent as fuck. You don't actually care about the jobs or the people. You just want to pretend you do while taking shots at Marvel and Disney.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like none of you concern trolls even read the fucking article. Fucking transparent as fuck. You don't actually care about the jobs or the people. You just want to pretend you do while taking shots at Marvel and Disney.

says the dude with the mcu avatar. Same could be said for you. urgh.

I just think its a bad idea for one company to own so much.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go as far as to say that anyone who is a serious lover of film should lament it.

For me personally, the MCU re-acquiring Marvel IP's is merely a silver lining.

And remember, A LOT of people aren't in the know and don't understand the history and reasons why this change is so profoundly troubling. (you clearly do)

Most people consume film the way they consume food; with little thought to how it was made or the history and struggles therein.

Exactly my point. We're on the same page on this one. I am somewhat curious and excited too about how F4 and X-Men will fare under MCU-wings (even though I fear the superhero movie landscape will become less diverse. Stuff like Logan would not fit in the MCU as it is now, and if would probably never been approved if X-Men was always part of the MCU)

And I understand that people don't see the whole picture. It just annoys me that when you point them to it, you're immediatly bombarded with accusations of being 'anti-MCU' or get 'yeah, but Comcast would've been worse'-arguments.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Given that no one has been laid off yet, I would assume the Fox 2000 staff will be rolled under the Searchlight branding. I mean the layoffs could still be coming, but I think we would have heard about that before the actual closure if they were.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (5 days) antagonising other members over series of posts
says the dude with the mcu avatar. Same could be said for you. urgh.

I just think its a bad idea for one company to own so much.

Holy god you can't be that fucking dense. The article specifically says no one was handed a pink slip so what the fuck are you talking about?

And for one company to own so much what? Original content? Amazon, Netflix, and other studios have just as much so try again

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy god you can't be that fucking dense. The article specifically says no one was handed a pink slip so what the fuck are you talking about?

And for one company to own so much what? Original content? Amazon, Netflix, and other studios have just as much so try again

Lol, you're calling me dense. You're acting like you can't see what the fuck i meant when i sad that. Sure mate, whatever you say.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, you're calling me dense. You're acting like you can't see what the fuck i meant when i sad that. Sure mate, whatever you say.

No, no one understood what you meant chief. The guy said it shows those posting didn't read the article because if they did they would have seen that no one was laid off.

You then said same could be said for him...because his avatar is from the MCU.

So elaborate on what you meant. Don't back down now, you wanted to die on that hill go right ahead. What did you mean by sane could be said for him.

Oh and while you're at it, what does Disney own so much of? Please tell

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ding ding ding

People in this board are weird, man. Mergers and layoffs happen in the corporate world constantly. All of a sudden these people woke up and are focused on this one.

This forum was full of people saying "I can't wait to see MCU tears when Comcast is the winner". Now all of an sudden it's "but these poor people!"

Transparent as hell. Y'all ain't clever.
This. If every merger thread is gonna turn into this, we're gonna need some kind of way to stem the concern trolling.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, it's really transparent at this point. It's just funny how you can tell who didn't even bother reading the article due to the lost jobs argument when that didn't happen.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Where does the idea that Disney only does family friendly stuff come from?

People just keep conflating Disney the company and Disney the brand. The fact that their most popular non-Disney branded properties Star Wars and Marvel have been all family-friendly as well probably doesn't help that perception.
But yeah, Disney has done plenty of R-rated stuff under the Touchstone label or via subsidiaries.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People just keep conflating Disney the company and Disney the brand. The fact that their most popular non-Disney branded properties Star Wars and Marvel have been all family-friendly as well probably doesn't help that perception.
But yeah, Disney has done plenty of R-rated stuff under the Touchstone label or via subsidiaries.

Didn't Disney technically own Miramax when they made Pulp Fiction?

opus

Oct 25, 2017
There was less redundancies in that merger since AT&T bought Warner to have a foothold in entertainment, while this was more of an IP purchase. The job loss should/could be way more important in the second case.

WarnerMedia literally just closed an entire HBO video production studio last week. I may not have my job in two weeks.

But I guess it's fine, because the Fox job losses or more important or whatever.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine what the conversation would be like from these concern trolls now had Comcast purchased Fox?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure the main reason was to better leverage their future streaming service because while they most likely will sill release Searchlight and 20th Century movies, there's only so many movie you can put in theater in a year. They have to fit Disney Animation, Pixar, Disney live action, Marvel, LucasArt, 20th Century Fox and Searchlight in a calender year. Knowing that Fox is releasing about the same amount a movie a year than Disney, some stuff are going to get thrown out.

I personally don't expect streaming to salvage most of that.
That leverage is true, yes, but I wouldn't say that owning previous films made by Fox is an ultimate seller here, the studios themselves have such a pedigree and Searchlight are a fantastic house for either picking up, distributing or making films.

I disagree, however, on your assertion about 'so many movies', there is no reason for Fox or Disney to release less movies. Films like The Favourite, Grand Budapest Hotel or Brooklyn don't exactly suffer from Star Wars or the thirtieth Marvel movie. Sure, there may be crossover (there likely is) but I don't expect Fox or Marvel to worry that much.

Case in point, Lucasfilm released Solo less than a month after Infinity War. There were massive slates in November and December that Solo could have stood in on its own and not go against the largest franchise in cinema, hell, they're both Disney.

So I'm not sure it'll work out like that.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I see we're pretending to care about people, we don't know, losing jobs in a merger, a process that's been happening thousand of times already.

Like do you guys actually care? So far, I've seen more people taking potshots at others being excited for the X-Men in the MCU.
Of course they don't. They just want to make as many people feel as small as they can because that's just how they roll.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hopefully they find new roles at the other Disney studios, or if not one of the other content creators that are ramping up production (Apple, Netflix etc)

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my point. We're on the same page on this one. I am somewhat curious and excited too about how F4 and X-Men will fare under MCU-wings (even though I fear the superhero movie landscape will become less diverse. Stuff like Logan would not fit in the MCU as it is now, and if would probably never been approved if X-Men was always part of the MCU)

And I understand that people don't see the whole picture. It just annoys me that when you point them to it, you're immediatly bombarded with accusations of being 'anti-MCU' or get 'yeah, but Comcast would've been worse'-arguments.

This always seemed like an odd point to me. I mean it took years of begging from Jackman, one of the biggest actors in the business, and others for Fox to finally relent and let them make an R-rated Wolverine, which would have never happened had Deadpool not blown up, which in itself took years of begging and various other methods to finally get funding. It's not like Fox pursued those ideas, it took two high profile actors campaigning privately and publicly because they were deeply invested in the characters and wanted to do something special. I'm sure that if RDJ was motivated to make a Logan-esque type Iron Man film, it would probably happen.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did you read that article? Like seriously read it?

He claims because Disney now has almost all the Marvel characters back at Marvel it's a monopoly on Marvel characters.

He also said Disney forced Sony to put Spider-Man in the MCU.

If you want to try and back up the absurd idea of a Monopoly please don't use what might be the worst article I've ever seen written by someone who doesn't know what a monopoly is

demonicmurry

Oct 26, 2017
Comcast owns Dreamsworks and illumination and also this is a live action studio which would have been redundant with Focus Features
you are just being a concerned troll.

This isn't exactly apples to apples as Fox animation mainly does television and adult 2D fair whereas Comcast is primarily CGI theatrical and children's DTV. There probably is overlap, but less than Disney's television animation footprint I imagine.

The Marvel Hulu animation announcements are encouraging but who knows if it'll utilize the Fox Animation Studios here given this was before the official closure of the deal.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WarnerMedia literally just closed an entire HBO video production studio last week. I may not have my job in two weeks.

But I guess it's fine, because the Fox job losses or more important or whatever.

They can't trash Marvel or Disney if it involves different companies that's why they don't care

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read that article? Like seriously read it?

He claims because Disney now has almost all the Marvel characters back at Marvel it's a monopoly on Marvel characters.

He also said Disney forced Sony to put Spider-Man in the MCU.

If you want to try and back up the absurd idea of a Monopoly please don't use what might be the worst article I've ever seen written by someone who doesn't know what a monopoly is

"Medium" is basically a blog, right? It's just some random's thoughts. It's about as legitimate as a Forbes Contributor.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The second the Rupert Murdoch decided he wanted to sell Fox, this was bound to happen. No matter what group picked them up.