• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost guaranteed that CM2 will be still in the past with the way CM ended. Especially with the remark from Ronan.
Right, I hated that ending. Also hated the explanation for why CM never showed up before ("for emergencies only") and was hoping that Endgame had a better excuse. Which is why I'm bitter about the line in this clip.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Im wondering how those badass Marvel movie moments would be taken if performed by Captain Marvel.

Like, single-handedly beating up an elevator of dudes

or landing in Wakanda, saving all the heroes from aliens and then shouting "Bring me THANOS!"

Captain Marvel vs the villains of the MCU:

Obadiah Stane would've been murderized in like 5 minutes, his suit of armor is paper to her
Abomination would've been knocked tf out in like 5 minutes
Whiplash would've been obliterated in under 5 minutes
The Destroyer would've gotten wrecked in about 5 minutes, and it would be legit surprising if Loki survived longer than 5 minutes
Red Skull would've been obliterated in under 5 minutes
The Chitauri Invasion would've lasted 5 minutes cuz they would've barely made it out of the portal
Aldrich Killian would've gotten his poop packed up and shipped abroad in like 5 minutes
Malekith and Skurge would probably survive longer than 5 minutes and put up an actual fight
Batroc, the dudes in the elevator, and Bucky would've gotten wrecked in like 5 minutes
Ronan nearly died against her once, his fleet was wrecked in like 5 minutes. A second time would be no different.
Baron von Strucker, Ultron, and the Ultron Drones would've gotten bodied in like 5 minutes
Yellowjacket might be able to survive longer than 5 minutes because he'd be able to shrink, but he'd still get wrecked pretty fast
Crossbones, Baron Zemo, and the airport fight sequence would've been done in like 5 minutes
Kaecelius might survive longer than 5 minutes, but there's no way he'd be able to stop her
Ego might actually have been able to stop/survive her longer than 5 minutes assuming he was completely aggressive against her
The Vulture would've gotten annihilated in 5 minutes
Ulysses Klaw and Killmonger would've died in less than 5 minutes
Thanos would've had some trouble taking her on one-on-one if she was on the Asgardian Ship with Thor. An entire army of outriders would've lasted like 5 minutes (if they made it to the ground), It would have taken her like, 5 minutes to take the Infinity Gauntlet off of Thanos if she was on Titan.
Surtur, Hela, and Fenris would've lasted longer than 5 minutes, Surtur and Hela would've actually been able to put up a solid fight against her.
Ghost might've been able to survive longer than 5 minutes, but she definitely can't stop her.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The problem is that, personally, I don't feel she earned the "I'm a badass and I'm your solution" badge... I don't know why, but I don't feel Brie is having fun playing the character.
Hm, I felt quite the opposite watching Captain Marvel. There were quite a few instances I saw during battles or otherwise where she goofed around, cracked jokes or quipped with other characters.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The scene before this shows why CM wants to get Thanos. It contains massive spoilers and I won't be uttering them in this thread.

Seeing some very weird takes on her from some posters. Her being 'arrogant' is far from how she comes across and what her motivations are. In the scenes before they have this chat.

Can I ask you: have you seen the movie? How do you know so much? Ive seen you know things that happen later in the movie too.

Im not doubting you, I truly believe you know a lot, so Im just wondering, why do you know so much?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I hated that ending. Also hated the explanation for why CM never showed up before ("for emergencies only") and was hoping that Endgame had a better explanation. Which is why I'm bitter about the line in this clip.
Easy fix to make is whatever she's dealing with at the same time as Avengers be some catastrophic shit for the parts of the galaxy she was currently residing in.

Cap, where were you? "I had shit to handle" is good enough if the sequel raises the stakes enough.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Everyone saying Carol came off as "too arrogant" but I took the scene as confident and almost reassuring.

Like "You guys were beaten before but I'm here to make sure nothing happens to you again." Like, I like the idea of her being like "These people are Fury's friends and thus mine as well. You fuck with them then you fuck with me."

idk.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Easy fix to make is whatever she's dealing with at the same time as Avengers be some catastrophic shit for the parts of the galaxy she was currently residing in.

Cap, where were you? "I had shit to handle" is good enough if the sequel raises the stakes enough.

1486783-nova_vs_ironman_02.jpg

I'm not saying they have to do Annihilation btw, just shit happens out there in space is all.

they should do Annihilation tho

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
YouTube version from Marvel sounds like it leads into the title card. Maybe this scene is in the first 5-10 min?

Edit: Infinity War title card starts at 11:20 for reference

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh and by the way "carol so arrogant" comments from a scene where Thor basically whips out his giant dick... I'm sorry, axe, to scare the wee little girl is

giphy.gif

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You don't think Thanos amassing an army and collecting the stones by thrashing whatever worlds have them wouldnt have made some noise to peak her interest?

Why would she have been aware of that when no one else was? Even GotG didn't realize that Xandar was destroyed until they found Thor and they're the cosmic heroes. Tony and Strange had no idea who Thanos was and what his plans were until Bruce filled them in. As mentioned, Carol doesn't have cosmic awareness and probably only realized the gravity of the situation when she got paged and/or when she saw people get dusted in front of her, wherever she may have been. The universe is huge and there are tons of other threats out there. Just because one madman is going around to different planets taking out half the population on one side of the universe doesn't mean there isn't, say, an all powerful exiled Asgardian goddess powerful enough to destroy Mjolnir and solo the Asgardian army threatening to reclaim the 9 realms on the other side.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Why would she have been aware of that when no one else was? Even GotG didn't realize that Xandar was destroyed until they found Thor and they're the cosmic heroes. Tony and Strange had no idea who Thanos was and what his plans were until Bruce filled them in. As mentioned, Carol doesn't have cosmic awareness and probably only realized the gravity of the situation when she got paged and/or when she saw people get dusted in front of her, wherever she may have been. The universe is huge and there are tons of other threats out there. Just because one madman is going around to different planets taking out half the population on one side of the universe doesn't mean there isn't, say, an all powerful exiled Asgardian goddess powerful enough to destroy Mjolnir and solo the Asgardian army threatening to reclaim the 9 realms on the other side.

Plus, we know from past films that Thanos had long since amassed an army. That ain't new.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though Thanos' plan is stupid and wouldn't work in real life (as it would just fuck up supply chains and cause mass anarchy), if there is a time jump by a few months, it would be nice to see a news report on TV stating "despite the chaos, famine rates have fallen by 40%" or something to back up thanos' point and make things in the movie a little more gray.

Oct 27, 2017

I thought they all knew who Thanos was in the first GOTG. Someone (I forget who) even refers to him as the most powerful being in the universe

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
His delivery is fine. He is delivering the line that way because his character thinks they're crazy for suggesting they go after Thanos.

It's very obvious.

This. Whats so hard to understand about this? lol. Hype is getting to peoples heads now

The scene before this shows why CM wants to get Thanos. It contains massive spoilers and I won't be uttering them in this thread.

Seeing some very weird takes on her from some posters. Her being 'arrogant' is far from how she comes across and what her motivations are. In the scenes before they have this chat.

Is it confirmed? How spoilery is it?

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Carol: Let's go get that fucker
Steve: Fuck yeah

"OMG WHY IS SHE SO ARROGANT?"

Rhodey: Yo lady we got our asses beat last time, what makes u think this time it will be different?
Carol: You didnt have me baby.

"OMG SHES SO ANNOYING"

Meanwhile, this dude in videogame land (for example, there are many) is reverered as being the quintessencial "cool".

I legit think some people just cant process the idea of a strong female character, not even from a place of malice, the concept is just alien to them. Put the same words on Ironman, none of those comments would exist. It's truly something.
Right? Not to mention when Banner responds to Carol with "just like that?", Steve answers "JUST like that."

If Carol is "arrogant" then so is Steve.

Oct 25, 2017
Thor almost killed Thanos.

Now they have Thor plus Captain Marvel, who is just as strong if not stronger.

And maybe a Hulk.

For these characters, why wouldn't you be confident?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Releasing a scene like this without any context just seems weird to me. Despite what people may assume I definitely think this is intended to show CM's over-confidence, but without the context of whatever scenes come after it people aren't given the natural counter to how CM is acting in this scene and, as such, are being asked to base their opinion of the character on what is (at least to me) a set-up scene for future development. It's why people's comparisons to the over-confidence of other characters in the series are inherently flawed:

- Thor's over-confidence surrounding Stormbringer's effectiveness is shown to be a bad character trait almost immediately when he fails to prevent the snap due to his desire for revenge
- Captain America's 'I can do this all day' comments are succeeded by 1) him being beaten up by random bully 2) him being almost killed by Bucky and 3) him failing to stop the accords and having to go on the run

In both scenarios the over-confidence is shown to be either foolish or unrelated to the character's eventual 'win'. There's tons of other examples throughout media where arrogant characters are taught to act otherwise, whether explicitly or implicitly, and it's fine in every one of those.

However, that doesn't mean you should judge CM's entire End-Game character based entirely on this scene; unless we're looking at a film where CM and the crew manage to defeat Thanos first time with no losses and no real struggle, that is. However, since this is the first 15-minutes of a 3-hour Russo-directed film I can't see that happening at all.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm so excited that this is probably in the first 15 minutes of the film.

It absolutely is. The music at the end of the clip is building up to the title card theme, which is always about 10 minutes into the movie. Allowing time for Tony and Nebula to get back (Assuming they get back before they take it to Thanos, trailer be damned), we'll probably be at Thanos within the first 30 minutes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Literally a scene where
-a dude goes up to somebody and whips out the metaphor for his dick
-a woman implies that she's strong AF

"OMG SHE'S SO ARROGANT"

Can men on the internet stop being so fucking fragile for one goddamn second? There's always a target for their thinly veiled cynicism. And it always happens to be a woman or POC.

-"Guys Wakanda isn't that believable dontcha think"
-"Was Get Out really that good"
-"Rey is mary sue"
-Wonder Woman isn't that good why is everyone acting like it's a big deal"
"Holdo specifically her purple hair, Rey, and Rose all suck, how dare they emasculate my self inserts, also, Rey, a literal role model for little girls, should've been evil and gave in to an abusive man"
-""Why is Captain Marvel confident god she's so arrogant and she should smile more, no not that way"

Like it's such an easily traceable pattern even on sites like Era.

Last edited:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Carol's arrogance is less than Thor's and far less than Tony's.
People are butt hurt just seeing a strong female character. It doesn't register. If it was Thor saying "because you didn't have me" everyone would've been like YEAHHH THOR!!! But because it's Carol, they just underestimate her and immediately think "well who the fuck are you?" I'm glad she has that confidence about herself. Puts her in line or even ahead of the rest of the squad.

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a scene like this without any context just seems weird to me. Despite what people may assume I definitely think this is intended to show CM's over-confidence, but without the context of whatever scenes come after it people aren't given the natural counter to how CM is acting in this scene and, as such, are being asked to base their opinion of the character on what is (at least to me) a set-up scene for future development. It's why people's comparisons to the over-confidence of other characters in the series are inherently flawed:

- Thor's over-confidence surrounding Stormbringer's effectiveness is shown to be a bad character trait almost immediately when he fails to prevent the snap due to his desire for revenge
- Captain America's 'I can do this all day' comments are succeeded by 1) him being beaten up by random bully 2) him being almost killed by Bucky and 3) him failing to stop the accords and having to go on the run

In both scenarios the over-confidence is shown to be either foolish or unrelated to the character's eventual 'win'. There's tons of other examples throughout media where arrogant characters are taught to act otherwise, whether explicitly or implicitly, and it's fine in every one of those.

However, that doesn't mean you should judge CM's entire End-Game character based entirely on this scene; unless we're looking at a film where CM and the crew manage to defeat Thanos first time with no losses and no real struggle, that is. However, since this is the first 15-minutes of a 3-hour Russo-directed film I can't see that happening at all.

Captain America is just as eager to go and Captain Marvel.

All this scene is doing is just showing the team dynamic at work.

Banner is telling everyone to pump the brakes a bit along with Rhodey

While Black Widow, Captain Marvel, and Captain America want to rush his ass.

Thor is just sitting by probably contemplating everything because he feels responsible for letting Thanos get the snap off.

That's it. It's just a clip and we'll get the entire context of everything when we actually watch the 3 hour long movie.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that just how Rufallo plays the character even since his first appearance? He's always awkwardly smirking under pressure.

Eh, somewhat, but there are many cases in recent movies where he doesn't. For example, he doesn't have that smirk in Infinity War when he's explaining Thanos to Tony. Given the seriousness of the situation I'd expect a different reaction but again, it might make sense in the context of the full movie.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
The comments in relation to that clip pretty much confirm that Brie Larson will dominate discussion about this movie, no doubt about it. :p

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Like with Rey, the sexism is so deeply ingrained that most of the people don't even realise it on themselves when they judge women and men heroes with different scales.

Women have to "earn it" for whatever reason.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I geninually thought the point of the scene show was that she was being arrogant, and thor aproves,
not that she accidentanly comes off as arrogant when she wanted to be just confident

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, let me say that I have no problems with strong female characters as long as they don't speak up, BUT I have an issue with the blatant arrogance on display shown by Captain Marvel. It feels out of sync with the Tony Stark cinematic universe.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Captain America is just as eager to go and Captain Marvel.

All this scene is doing is just showing the team dynamic at work.

Banner is telling everyone to pump the brakes a bit along with Rhodey

While Black Widow, Captain Marvel, and Captain America want to rush his ass.

Thor is just sitting by probably contemplating everything because he feels responsible for letting Thanos get the snap off.

That's it. It's just a clip and we'll get the entire context of everything when we actually watch the 3 hour long movie.

Where did I say that Captain Marvel was the only one there acting over-confident? Captain America and Black Widow are acting that way as well but since they're not the focus of the scene and since they're not new characters they're undoubtedly going to be talked about less.

Yes, it is showing the team dynamics at work, and it is doing so by showing two equally-wrong sides being taken on the debate of "what to do with Thanos?" On one side you've got CM/CA/BW (and Thor too) acting over-confident and on the other you've got Rhodey and Banner acting under-confident. All the characters in that room are going to learn how to improve their respective flaws in order to take down Thanos; the idea that they're just going to defeat Thanos with no losses, no setbacks and no character development ignores the very fundamentals of storytelling as a whole.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Y'all really in here complaining Carol was acting arrogant in a universe where Tony Stark and Thor exist. Sheesh

The scene looks great. Personally, I'm thinking even with Captain Marvel Thanos will have some tricks up his sleeve

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Like with Rey, the sexism is so deeply ingrained that most of the people don't even realise it on themselves when they judge women and men heroes with different scales.

If Endgame is in any way not a perfect fan pleaser, we already know who will get the blame. If it is perfect, some will say grudgingly that this was despite Brie Larson.

Save this post. I'm calling it now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Because they subconsciously believe that white and male is the default so even while put in equivalent situations POC and women have to earn their place, hell, even when that effort is made to show the "earning" part it's never enough. As an example look at how many people complain about Rey struggling to fly the falcon, something which is emphasized in multiple shots vs Luke flying an x-wing perfectly after one line of exposition. Look at how somehow Tony building a mecha suit in a cave is believable vs. Wakanda existing in a comic book universe that literally has Thor, the god of thunder in it. There's always a moving goalpost of "well this isn't believable." or "this person who happens to be a minority or woman should act different." Those same people then turn around and wonder why characters like Captain Marvel, Rey, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, etc. are significant in the first place.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
If Endgame is in any way not a perfect fan pleaser, we already know who will get the blame. If it is perfect, some will say grudgingly that this was despite Brie Larson.

Save this post. I'm calling it now.

People are nowhere near as smart or subtle as they think they are and this thread is as clear as a proof as can be. An extra bit of sneak peak at the film and instead of speculating about possible plot points or whatever theories, the focus goes 100% on Brie Larsen right from the start and that's just not normal holy shit.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Because they subconsciously believe that white and male is the default so even while put in equivalent situations POC and women have to earn their place, hell, even when that effort is made to show the "earning" part it's never enough. As an example look at how many people complain about Rey struggling to fly the falcon, something which is emphasized in multiple shots vs Luke flying an x-wing perfectly after one line of exposition. Look at how somehow Tony building a mecha suit in a cave is believable vs. Wakanda existing in a comic book universe that literally has Thor, the god of thunder in it. There's always a moving goalpost of "well this isn't believable." or "this person who happens to be a minority or woman should act different." Those same people then turn around and wonder why characters like Captain Marvel, Rey, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, etc. are significant in the first place.

perfectly put. Anyone complaining that Carol is "Arrogant" but never said shit about Tony and Thor are bullshit artists.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can damn well add LGBT to your list as well, nothing default about us (gay white men) when we haven't even had a single appearence in the MCU thank you very much.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Y'all really in here complaining Carol was acting arrogant in a universe where Tony Stark and Thor exist. Sheesh

Tony Stark and Thor have had entire movies dedicated to them facing the consequences of their arrogance (the snappening was literally caused by Thor being an arrogant torturous asshole); Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers hasn't had that yet so, if we were to judge this scene in a vacuum, that would definitely be a flaw in how they've written her character because over-confidence is not an inherently positive character trait. However, since this scene won't be in a vacuum, complaints about it are premature at best and agenda-driven at worst.