• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
that got close to the real thing? I'm curious about this. I'm talking gameplay not cutscenes.

So which is it Era?
I'm 30 yo, but i'm sure there's something older than Mortal Kombat at this.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think Myst came out a year after MK, but I think that was definitely a big one for a lot of people.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
For gameplay, right? A lot of older games had realistic-ish title screens.

Prince of Persia, maybe? Rotoscoping could count.

Otherwise, probably a strip poker game.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Journey arcade game is the first time a game used digitized photos for sprites AFAIK.

1181242123200.png

Came out in 1983.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is an interesting article about it. Pit Fighter is the first one I remember.

www.giantbomb.com

Digitized Sprites (Concept) - Giant Bomb

Digitized sprites, popularized in the early 90s, were a form of graphics that used footage of real actors, Stop-motion frames of a figure/clay model or 3D renders of characters that were then made digital and put into the game.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I'd love to see a developer try a hand at digitized sprites with the tech we've got now.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a developer try a hand at digitized sprites with the tech we've got now.
There've been some indie attempts at this in the past few years. Off hand there was a fighting game called Death Cargo which has an interesting story behind it. I literally can't find gameplay video of it online anymore because they've successfully manage to scrub them from the internet to make way for their brawler reboot of it called Gorebreaker:

There was also a Street's of Rage style game called Streets of Fury EX.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There've been some indie attempts at this in the past few years. Off hand there was a fighting game called Death Cargo which has an interesting story behind it. I literally can't find gameplay video of it online anymore because they've successfully manage to scrub them from the internet to make way for their brawler reboot of it called Gorebreaker:

Streets of Fury EX looks hilarious. Best part is at 1:53.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019

Here is death cargo gameplay that survived. (dont know how to embed that link, but its a streaming video)

Oct 26, 2017
Mad Dog Mcree and Sega's Time Traveller both predate Mortal Kombat, but they could both considered cheating as they're both just streaming video off a disc.

There was Lethal Enforcers which took a similar approach as Mortal Kombat, but it came out one week later.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I loved Streets of Fury EX! Palette swaps galore. The game is a great time.

Gorebreaker is an interesting looking project. The perspective, movement, and aesthetic remind me a bit of Splatterhouse.