• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
If it screens antibodies, it has the problem of every quick test: The time lag between infection and the reaction of the immune system. Same as HIV quick tests eg.
Ehm, yeah. Surely it does. You missed the point.

How do I put it... there could be tests developed that accidentally react pos. but you are not actually infected by Corona because the virus you got is similar to Corona and causes an reaction but would actually be harmless.

The question then would be how successful is the result of the quick test compared to the result of the test developed by the Charité. Are all results the same? (Pos/neg alike) If so then its an okay price.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Ehm, yeah. Surely it does. You missed the point.

How do I put it... there could be tests developed that accidentally react pos. but you are not actually infected by Corona because the virus you got is similar to Corona and causes an reaction but would actually be harmless.

The question then would be how successful is the result of the quick test compared to the result of the test developed by the Charité. Are all results the same? (Pos/neg alike) If so then its an okay price.

From what I heard, false negatives are the weakness of these quick tests for the reasons mentioned. If the positives are valid and can be reproduced by PCR tests, then it is just this: A confirmation of the infection. Not bad, but 135$ good? I dunno.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
From what I heard, false negatives are the weakness of these quick tests for the reasons mentioned. If the positives are valid and can be reproduced by PCR tests, then it is just this: A confirmation of the infection. Not bad, but 135$ good? I dunno.
Of quick tests in general, yes.

But I am talking about this specific one, and a rushed test (this is rushed) is more likely to have problems that's why I have my doubts.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
not bad?

it should be free, not profiteering
Even in Germany, where free health care is a thing, a laboratory corona test costs 300 bucks unless a doctor orders it.

They just do so in rare cases:
*symptoms must be present
*contact to an infected person/returned from a risk zone
*must be part of a risk group

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Frankly there's no way I would trust, let alone pay for, a test not administered by medical professionals.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Of quick tests in general, yes.

But I am talking about this specific one, and a rushed test (this is rushed) is more likely to have problems that's why I have my doubts.

I'm totally with you.
In the best case scenario it confirms a suspicion. Nothing would change in my behaviour to follow the safety protocols.
In the worst case it gives you a false feeling of safety with terrible consequences.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this is celebrated and posted without shame by the company shows you how persevere some of the US system is.
Totally fucked up.

Pumpkins

Feb 16, 2020
$135 is absolutely ridiculous. There's no way people who are out of work or work minimum wage jobs can swing this. Plus, what if you AND your partner need a test? Would that make it $270?

Anyone looking to profit over a global crisis is twisted.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
You guys should do your reading --- "Everlywell has reached out to gov't officials and public health departments to see if the test can be made for free." Everlywell is based in my hometown and the founder has spoken at length about this - they're not looking to cut a profit and run.

The fact that this is celebrated and posted without shame by the company shows you how persevere some of the US system is.
Totally fucked up.
They should be using their resources to provide tests for hospitals and the like. Jesus, after reading how that South Korean company is providing hospitals 10,000 test a week at under $20 a test, this is fucking embarassing.

$135 is absolutely ridiculous. There's no way people who are out of work or work minimum wage jobs can swing this. Plus, what if you AND your partner need a test? Would that make it $270?

Anyone looking to profit over a global crisis is twisted.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute, it says in the article that a panel of doctors have to decide to send you the test based on whether you meet criteria because of limited tests? Isn't this just the exact same situation we've been in for the last two months? Unless you're 70, have been to China in the last month, and/or are hospitalized, you're not getting tested.

Mass-produced tests for EVERYONE, for free, need to have happened already. That's the bottleneck and the reason we've had to shut everything down.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Who care about the cost if the accuracy of their test is suspect? I mean yes it's bad to rip some off, but much worse to say have "false positives" that actually will send healthy people into harm's way by going to a hospital with other known cases.

Just stay away from this.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
EverlyWell isn't the most trustworthy company, I would avoid using their testing for anything and instead use local clinics that have a better track record.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are a disproportionate amount of Americans that would not be able to afford this. It also looks like Everlywell tests aren't covered by insurance... So this would be an out of pocket fee. That's all I'm saying.
I totally understand that. See my post above. My point is that the company is not at fault here (shockingly), but the government and insurance companies and our broken as fuck system.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust a test without knowing false positives and false negatives rates.

I mean, i can claim i can test coronavirus and flip coins

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys should do your reading --- "Everlywell has reached out to gov't officials and public health departments to see if the test can be made for free." Everlywell is based in my hometown and the founder has spoken at length about this - they're not looking to cut a profit and run.
"We are working with the government but in the meantime we are cashing in on everyone's fear to make money as fast as possible."
"Oh and doctors look at your request for the test, no way would anyone ever lie about having a fever just to get the test and clog up a needed lab."

Not even questioning the science behind it, its fucked up and the fact that this is a debate here and on twitter shows how deep the roots for "bootstrap" mentality is.
Even in a pandemic. The guy that buys the 3872 Liters of hand sanitizer will have folks celebrating his entrepreneurship.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
They are only scaring seniors into giving up their money. Most younger people are not going to pay for it anyway because they think they'll survive even if they get it. This is ridiculous and the gov't response is absurd.

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
$135 x millions of customers is bank. Prices not too high it seems absurd but enough to most likely make a crazy profit based on volume. I wonder how much it cost to produce.

Oct 27, 2017
People in here really have no idea what the word "profit" means, do they? I have no idea how much it costs them, but not being free =/= profiting

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
The government should step in and make them free yes.

But the company can't do what it's doing without paying the lab workers and the other costs. It's a reasonable price unless subsidized, they can't sink themselves before even getting started.

there are lots of tests that work instantly, like a pregnancy test. No need for lab work

Nov 27, 2017
California
I expected minimum $1000
The real test has them sticking a swab/thing all the way up your nose so if we have to do that then lots of people will botch it
I think I'll wait for the drive through test

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If this could reliabily detect if you had it, I would certainly want this test considering my local government doesn't seem interested in testing anybody that doesn't need hospitalisation.