• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everlywell-COVID-19-coronavirus-test.png

time.com

The First U.S. Company Has Announced an Upcoming Home COVID-19 Test

Direct-to-consumer testing company Everlywell will make its COVID-19 test available on Mar 23

People can order the Everlywell COVID-19 test on the company's website, after first answering questions about their basic health, symptoms and risk factors for the coronavirus disease. A doctor still needs to prescribe the test, so telemedicine doctors from PWNHealth, a national network of physicians who prescribe diagnostic tests, then reviews these answers to determine if a person qualifies for testing, based on criteria established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Currently, because COVID-19 tests are not plentiful in the U.S., doctors are trying to rule out other respiratory diseases like flu first, and only ordering tests for people with symptoms who also have other risk factors for infection, such as being in close contact with others who have been diagnosed.

If the telemedicine doctor decides to prescribe an Everlywell COVID-19 test, the company says it will send the $135 test kit in two days (customers can pay $30 more to receive the kit overnight). The kit comes with a special swab that is long enough to take samples from the back of the nose and throat area, along with instructions for how to seal the swab sample to send it back to the company. People can also provide both spit and sputum samples as backups. (For now, the Food and Drug Administration only validates samples from nasoparyngeal swabs, but companies have applied to test spit and sputum.).

Edit: maybe not such a good idea-
Being it says physican approved vs FDA approved, we'll see. There's been a lot similar things put out for sale that the FDA has come down hard on.

Yep, I'd stay away: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/everlywell-at-home-lab-tests-that-dont-make-sense/

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have no idea how much this sort of thing really costs but isn't $135 a bit absurd??

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all cheap, but considering the prices of anything health related in the states, not terrible.

Sep 14, 2019
Pinnacle Labs sent me an e-mail for COVID-19 tests for 80 bucks (2 pack) last week.

I thought it was weird considering tests are very limited and they had it ready so soon, so I dismissed it, but now I'm wondering if it's legit.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
They should be using their resources to provide tests for hospitals and the like. Jesus, after reading how that South Korean company is providing hospitals 10,000 test a week at under $20 a test, this is fucking embarassing.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Severe lack of testing Nationwide, other countries mobilize both private and public labs for free tests.... but in America still have room to set aside for paying customers.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely amazing that this is going to be the solution to a public health crisis in America but fuck the trump administration is not gonna do it so I'm glad somebody is

EDIT:
Being it says physican approved vs FDA approved, we'll see. There's been a lot similar things put out for sale that the FDA has come down hard on.
this is a good point

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
See thread:

twitter.com

Julia Cheek on Twitter

“1/ UPDATE 🙌 My proudest day ever at @everly_well is today. We’re launching the first solution in the U.S. to get tested and diagnosed for #COVID-19 from your home on Monday, March 23. https://t.co/FpKEGxrmPd”

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
they about to make some easy money.
More like shitty, awful, greedy money. These should be going to hospitals or testing places like the drive throughs setting up all over.

The after market for people scooping these up and trying to re-sell them is going to be very VERY bad. Just search eBay for toilet paper or hand sanitizer right now

Mar 3, 2019
How exactly are they sourcing their test kits? If its US based, its not like there is some surplus around here lol. Also whats the failure rate. I see 2 austin startup companies that have been literally formed for this reason, but what is their medical background?

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I had the weirdest, most severe cold I've ever had back in mid January and in the back of my mind I've been wondering if it was this since the symptoms were pretty close and my lungs were fucked for about a month afterwards. I would be happy to have a test like this for if someone had the damn antibodies.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't it.

South Korea can do 20k tests a day. You walk into a damn isolated phonebooth-like setup and they swab you with excellent protection for the medical worker. The booth is then quickly cleaned for the next person to get tested. Or you can drive up, get swabbed, and they text you the results. The samples are tested literally on-site.

The United States should be able to do at least that and not charge a single person for it.

War-time commandeering of industries is needed right now.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
People are going to desperately throw money at this company to try to save themselves and their community. Fuck this.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Added post about the company...yeah maybe not such a good idea after all. Hmm.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
seems like it's a new startup, so selling it at cost isn't terrible

The more people with access to a test the better

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you ignore the questionable validity of the test, this seems like a massive waste of your money. What are people going to do if it comes back negative? Pay this every time they have a cough?

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
$135? Does it come with a free DNA test thing as well? Would hate to pay for this then have it turn out you were infected like a day after taking the test.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you ignore the questionable validity of the test, this seems like a massive waste of your money. What are people going to do if it comes back negative? Pay this every time they have a cough?

I'm sure there are plenty of well-off (and maybe not so well-off but desperate) people who would do exactly that.