• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
otfirewatch2vf5d.jpg

Developer: Campo Santo
Publisher: Campo Santo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: December 17, 2018
Also already available on: PC | PS4 | Xbox One
Genre: Hiking-but-no-wait-it's-way-more-exciting-than-you-think-simulator
Players: 1
Pro Controller Support: Yes
Cloud Save Support: Yes
Language support: Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, English
Official eShop page: Europe | North America | Japan
eShop download file size: 2300.58 MB
Official website: http://www.firewatchgame.com/

Firewatch is a mystery set in the Wyoming wilderness,
where your only emotional lifeline is the person on the
other end of a handheld radio.
Includes: Audio Tour Mode with Developer Commentary as well as Free Roaming with a 24h day/night cycle..

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/181327262904/last-week-we-launched-firewatch-for-the-nintendo
Take a picture of yourself playing Firewatch on Switch somewhere in the outdoors and get a chance to win one of three art prints! Check the Campo Santo blog!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I skipped this game on PS4 partly because I'd heard the framerate sucked. Hopefully they can pull a Yooka-Laylee on the Switch.
That's what they promised back at the announcements. Switch optimizations that would then also funnel back into the other versions.
Tempted to double dip... Such a great game.

Anyone know of any way to buy an eShop code to give as a gift?
You can't, unless a game is listed as a digital sku on amazon.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good game that I enjoyed on PC. I didn't like part of it but I can understand it.

The soundtrack and visuals are pretty great.

I also want to say that I freaking love the thread title.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Framerate would have to be dreadful for me to not appreciate this game. I'm hoping they won't pull a sexy brutale here, I'll be really tolerant with moderate drops and hiccups. That's not an action game, I will survive.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I won't buy it again, but it's one of my favorites.

Here's hoping it runs well, a lot of people should be able play this, it's amazing.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I didn't think so but that's still disappointing. Crazy that the Wii Shop Channel had gifting built in and the feature's been missing from consoles since.
There was a brief window when they let you choose whether you wanted to get a code to redeem or automatically tie the game to your NNID during the Wii U days but then it switched to the auto-redeem to account purchases. I miss having that option.

Oct 27, 2017
I never, ever double dip on games but I would be so tempted to get Firewatch on Switch if I was going on a long journey and wanted to return to that Wyoming forest to be engrossed all over again. One of my favourite experiences this gen so far.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
ok, important question, since campo santo were acquired by valve, does this game have the valve logo in the beginning?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Olly

May 13, 2018
We added something very intense and stupid to this release and I am so excited for people to find it.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I can't watch the video right now. Any reports on resolution would be appreciated.

Jan 29, 2018
Is FPS really that important for an adventure game like this one?

Not at all. I haven't played this port yet, but that video looks like it performs better (docked) than the PS4 version did at launch, and it didn't really bother me then. Everyone has different standards though.

I'm not gonna double dip yet but I just sent $20 eShop credit to my friend and told him to buy it. Looking forward to hearing what he thinks.

Ritoo

Jun 5, 2018
Digital foundry made video about this performance issues on PS4 and after Patch, like they said this is more about unity engine,I think this few drops shouldn't affect the overall experience for this kind of game.

Last edited:

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah the performance is pretty good actually. There is couple of places with some dips that doesn't feel that bad for this kind of a slow game and then there are places where it seems to load something and the game might stop like a half a second. But it still feels good 30fps 99% of the time. Didn't really see those minor dips under with this kind of a slow game. This is a pretty good port.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I enjoyed it... once. Won't pick it up for the Switch, but do recommend it.

Altho the ending really annoyed me.

Olly

May 13, 2018
Oh and make sure you grab the axe from Henry's desk in the lookout before you start the day. That's all I'll say.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any info about this potentially getting a (limited) physical release like on other consoles? Would absolutely love to have this on cart!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Up posted a review, I really like their review style and perspective. Each game is reviewed on context of its genre.
Was really impressive with their Everspace review as well, you know they put time in it.

Major con from the review: Too Many Trees

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Any info about this potentially getting a (limited) physical release like on other consoles? Would absolutely love to have this on cart!
Limited Run tweeted once they "want" to do it but that's ofc no indication of it happening or not.

My wife and I actually love the ending. It isn't the kind of thing you get in games very often.
Same, I never understood the complaints. Everything makes perfect sense and it all fits together.

lukus99

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game last night (first playthrough) and it was wonderful. There were a couple of moments where it stuttered but nothing too crazy.

Funny thing with this game - I normally play 70% undocked but I played this mainly handheld to feel immersed in the beautiful atmosphere.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly done with the game. I feel I'm appreciating the game more the second time but I found the performance really weak. Played 50/50 docked and undocked and I experienced many freezes and lot of slowdowns. Plus the handled mode felt a bit blurry in some areas.

Still playable but really annoying even for a slow paced adventure game. Especially when the game freezes for hot seconds.

Bit of a bummer, I hope a patch is on its way. I still recommend the game if you haven't played it and Switch is the only way to go for you.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's surprisingly also only $20 on the CDN eshop. I may pick this up. How's everyone's experience with it?